iPod docks wired to stereo reciever - Advice appreciated! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey!

I am trying to setup a couple of iPod docks on the main floor, and run them to my outdated stereo reciever, so I can listen to music through my main surround system.

I have the iPod docks and they have a usb to plug into the wall, and an aux out, to run to the stereo, which is a 3.5mm miniplug.

My stereo has a few rca inputs available.

I would like to do this as cheap as possible and was thinking about making a minijack to RCA wire, that would be around 30ft long.

Im wondering what the cheapest way to make this wire would be, without jeopardizing sound. Can a wire like this run 30ft? I would also like to run it inside the wall, is this a problem?

I also know that I may need some type of small preamp in between the ipod dock, and the main reciever, to boost the signal so that I dont have to crank my stereo and iPod way up to be able to hear it.

If you've taken the time to read this long post, I thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Check this out. It should work for you.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93591.0
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Liked: 12
+1 on the Pure I-20.
I just got one for Christmas and it is HUGE improvement in sound quality!
I am going digital (Toslink) into my Marantz SR5003.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan View Post

+1 on the Pure I-20.
I just got one for Christmas and it is HUGE improvement in sound quality!
I am going digital (Toslink) into my Marantz SR5003.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting one myself. What are the downfalls of the unit?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 AM

I have yet to find one. The remote is tiny and seems kind of cheap, but I trained my universal remote to control the unit, no problem. It outputs, digital (both toslink & SPDIF coax) and analogue (it has a 24 bit 192kHz Cirrus DAC) audio and can also output video via composite and component.

You can find reviews of the Pure I-20 on a couple of UK sites like WhatHifi. Their conclusion is that there is nothing out there there that is better for the price. ($99). You'll have to spend hundreds more to get anything better(ie. Cambridge Audio, Arcam or Wadia). For what Pure is charging, it's a no brainer!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 AM

BTW, I live in Canada. I ordered the unit from Pure USA on December 19th. FedEx dropped in at my door December 23rd! You can't beat that!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan View Post

BTW, I live in Canada. I ordered the unit from Pure USA on December 19th. FedEx dropped in at my door December 23rd! You can't beat that!

Could you please give us a followup on your purchase? I'm anxious to hear your impressions on set-up/sound/navigation of the unit as I'm in the market for one as well.

Cheers.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2011, 06:53 AM

Set up was a breeze. Plug in the AC adapter & plug in a cable from the I20 to the receiver (in my case a Toslink optical cable). Place the IPOD on the cradle and hit play. That was it! Going from an old Kensington analogue stereo Ipod dock, the change was very obvious. There was much more available gain (volume) getting into the receiver. With the old dock, I had to turn up the volume on the Ipod to max and still crank the receiver to reach moderate listening levels. Also, the sound stage used to feel constrained, like it had a lid on it. Not any more. I should add, that my sound files to date, are not lossless. I can only imagine the sound would be even better with uncompressed tracks.

Menu navigation is possible with the remote and works fine. However, seeing the tiny Ipod screen from the other side of the room is not easy. I have not tried hooking up the video cable to test whether the menu can be displayed on my plasma because to be honest, I don't care. I have my Ipod (classic 160 gig) set on shuffle and usually use it as a juke box. In conclusion, I would say that my Ipod now feels and sounds like an integrated part of my home theatre system and not just something that that was tacked on as an after thought. Well worth the $$ IMO.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi. Also purchased and received the Pure I-20 recently and am absolutely floored at the sound quality this thing puts out. Hard to describe, but a lot more oomph and body to the music. I have it RCA'd into my Raysonic SP 120 Tube amp and I can't stop listening to it! Awesome quality for $100. That's a crazy small amount of money for what this product can do.

Mike
post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimtrunks View Post

Im wondering what the cheapest way to make this wire would be, without jeopardizing sound. Can a wire like this run 30ft? I would also like to run it inside the wall, is this a problem?

I also know that I may need some type of small preamp in between the ipod dock, and the main reciever, to boost the signal so that I dont have to crank my stereo and iPod way up to be able to hear it.

You CAN do what you want to do without buying a fancy dock. The iPod's DACs get a bad rap but they aren't that bad at all, really. And the iPod's output is plenty for a receiver's aux inputs. No need to amplify it.

Depending upon what you want to spend, what you need is on this page:
http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=13

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page