AVS Forum banner

Denon DCM-460 CD changer: suggestions

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  highwaychile1967 
#1 ·
Today at a local thrift store, I acquired my first CD changer unit, a 1997 vintage Denon DCM-460.

Listening through Grado SR-60 headphones as I test it out, it seems to exhibit very good-to-superb sound quality. I have seen a lot of favorable reviews online of this vintage Denon.

I was struck by the noisy disc-changing mechanism on the DCM-460, but I also noticed it's possible to play a disc while changing others in the carousel.

Do others who are familiar with the Denon changers have suggestions for optimizing performance and keeping it in good working condition? This unit seems to be a real keeper.

#2 ·
I have owned one of these since new, and love it. Yes, their cd changing mechanism is a bit loud, but a trade off I can live with, as they produce great sound. Unfortunately, I don't know of any particular special care/longevity recommendations though. Enjoy it.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy /forum/post/21415271

Today at a local thrift store, I acquired my first CD changer unit, a 1997 vintage Denon DCM-460.

Listening through Grado SR-60 headphones as I test it out, it seems to exhibit very good-to-superb sound quality. I have seen a lot of favorable reviews online of this vintage Denon.

I was struck by the noisy disc-changing mechanism on the DCM-460, but I also noticed it's possible to play a disc while changing others in the carousel.

Do others who are familiar with the Denon changers have suggestions for optimizing performance and keeping it in good working condition? This unit seems to be a real keeper.

Nice find!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Authority /forum/post/21428932

I have owned one of these since new, and love it. Yes, their cd changing mechanism is a bit loud, but a trade off I can live with, as they produce great sound. Unfortunately, I don't know of any particular special care/longevity recommendations though. Enjoy it.

Did you buy it at Dow? (Who knew we were going miss Dow?)

Way back then, I bought a floor sample DCM-460 at Dow. I've used it almost daily ever since and I've never had a single problem with it. - I love it too and think it's a great CD player/changer.

As for it being able to change CDs while one continues to play; the DCM-460 has a bunch of fairly advanced Play and Programmed features. - It can even remember which songs that you don't want to hear on up to 100 CDs! (Honestly; I guess I've gotten lazy because, I don't use the advanced features much anymore.)

As for I caring for it; just the usual: No throwing; kicking or jumping on it. And, I try to keep it out of the pool as much as possible.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWind /forum/post/21467689

Did you buy it at Dow? (Who knew we were going miss Dow?)

Way back then, I bought a floor sample DCM-460 at Dow. I've used it almost daily ever since and I've never had a single problem with it. - I love it too and think it's a great CD player/changer.

Yes, I did buy it at Dow, back when I worked there for a couple of years.

The Denons at that time were far better than the the majority of other cd players that they sold then. The Technics were next best (good bang for the buck), while the Kenwoods and Sonys regular line were pretty mediocre. The Kenwoods in particular were very weak. and only Sony's upper range of players, which were really over priced, compared to the better ones.

And, yes, I really miss the brick and mortar stores, as there are many things I would much rather buy directly instead of having to worry about possible issues with returns/repairs via shipping, etc.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Authority /forum/post/21467822

Yes, I did buy it at Dow, back when I worked there for a couple of years.

Cool!

I hope my parenthesized comment didn’t sound overly snide.
--Truth is, even though it preceded (or prescienced?) the demise of brick and mortar A/V, when I heard Dow was being sold, I knew that I was going to miss its old school approach to “clearance”. I’m a bit frugal in my audio/visual spending so, I’ve always tried to get quality components at bargain prices and then try to use them forever. As a result, I bought a number of other items on clearance or sale at Dow: Denon POA 8200 amp (floor model), Denon PRA-1500 preamp (floor model), Polk RT5 bookshelf speakers, Sennheiser HD545 headphones, and some other stuff, I’m sure. – So, while I wasn’t a big spender, I did my part!

#6 ·
No problem. Considering the lousy reputation that so many sales people at stores like Dow had (Mad Jack's, etc., lol), I avoided even thinking about working at one for a very long time, but my love for audio/video eventually overcame the repulsion.

The good part is that I really did manage to learn a lot in the couple of years that I was there, and it at least got me started on a decent home system, the level of which has improved dramatically since, to one that I had not even imagined previously.

It's a shame that Dow sold out to Tweeter though, as I much preferred Dow's product line (better bang for the buck, so to speak) and product depth before the change of owners.

Nothing wrong with picking up a good bargain, especially those types of Denon products. I was a big fan of the early Denon separates, and if Dow had maintained a better selection of it, when I was there, I probably would have put together something with them, instead I went with Yamaha, and eventually moved to DD 5.1 with the Yamaha 3090, and never looked back.

#7 ·
I purchased a DCM-460 at a garage sale today for $20. It's a very well-cared for unit; still in original box with remote and manual. I've been using a Denon DVD-2200 for CD's for awhile now.
I prefer a single disc player, but I guess I need to ask the question, "which would be superior sound quality for CD's, the DCM-460, the DVD-2200, or the DVD-2800II that I also purchased today for $20?"
The 2200 does play DVD-A and SACD, but to be honest I haven't even used it for those formats since I got it.
Any genuine Denon afficionados out there that can weigh in on this?

Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.