Yamaha CD-C600BL what a disappointment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 10+ year old Technics carousel died so I had to replace it. It was a ok player but (probably due to being so old) never read Album & Artist tags correctly. The Yamaha CD-C600BL received good reviews & I figured a player of any quality at this day & age would display ID tags in a decent manner on a clear display but I unfortunately found this isn't the case. Though the CD-C600BL reads the tag info correctly the display is very tiny & harder to see than my old Technics & more importantly as far as I can tell there is no way to leave the chosen tag display up for more than a few seconds so EVERY time you want the see it you have to cycle the display button on the remote, once again even the Technics left the tag display up unless you switched to a different mode. Annoying! If I bought it locally I might return it & fish for a player with a better visual display but I got it from Amazon & since I don't have a decent backup player presently & don't want to mess around boxing it back up & eating the return shipping. I guess I'll live with it but I'm not very pleased with the purchase especially given the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM

You review a quality CD player as a disappointment because of its display without remarking on its sonic quality?!?!
I and most people like me buy or upgrade a CD player to better enjoy our music. I purchased the single play Yamaha CD-S300 (cousin to the CD-C600BL changer) recently for use in my "man cave" 2 channel stereo music only system and was blown away by how much better my CDs sounded. I am impressed so much that I plan on buying the Yamaha CD-C600BL changer you find disappointing to replace the Sony CDP-CE500 that I just bought last fall and which is still a current model that I have in my living room 5.1 Surround setup. That Yamaha CD-C600BL you have must beat that ten year old player you owned by a mile sonically because the CD-S300 I have which is the same basic model is head and shoulders better than the current model Sony I plan on getting rid of.
While you certainly are entitled to critique certain nuances of a component, your review should be fair in assessing the main reason we buy a CD player; for sonic enjoyment of our music CDs. I find it difficult to believe that the sonic quality and enjoyment you must experience in your CDs is diminished that much by a display. Really?!?!
If you’re really that disappointed and the Yamaha’s display diminishes your enjoyment of your music experience that much, I’d be more than willing to swap my Sony for the Yamaha you have and pay the shipping both ways. Let me know if you’d like to take me up on my offer.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't sound substantially different than the old one & feature wise is the worst CD player I've ever owned, on the other hand the RX-V671that it is paired with is a pretty nice unit, too bad it doesn't compliment it more fully.
BTW the last thing I want to do today is to rekindle a flame on a pretty old thread, I'm frankly not in the mood, but suffice to say the feature bugs present on this unit continue to irk me on a daily basis, wish I would have had the time to check it out at retail outlet prior to purchase online, my bad, live & learn.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page