AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by yba_us View Post

Hi Guys.
The original question was the Oppo 95, or Sony 5400.......................................? There is no comparison between the two player. The oppo a nice uni player while the Sony is the best ever made SACD player, regardless it's price. The SONY 5400 a native sacd player, while the oppo converts the signal to pcm. We can talk about this for a long time, but if you ever had a chance to listen the two side by side, or the Sony 5400 against other player you would understand once you have a chance to buy one, you never have to buy another again. I keep playing sacd player since this media was born, but nothing could touch the Sony 5400 quality so far. One more thing. The Sony plays the regular cd with some magic as well. It converts the cd to dsd, which doesn't really matter, but it sounds amazing for my ears. Sorry for my bad English. I hope I could help.
Music forever!!!

There are posters on this very thread who have tried both side by side and some prefer the Sony and some prefer the Oppo. You have some real wild claims in your post (best ever made SACD player, regardless it's price).eek.gifbiggrin.gif I had a chance to audition the Sony recently and I thought it was excellent, but I also think my BDP-95 (soon to be sold) is also excellent and fit my needs better than the Sony.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 429 Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Hi Guys.
The original question was the Oppo 95, or Sony 5400.......................................? There is no comparison between the two player. The oppo a nice uni player while the Sony is the best ever made SACD player, regardless it's price. The SONY 5400 a native sacd player, while the oppo converts the signal to pcm. We can talk about this for a long time, but if you ever had a chance to listen the two side by side, or the Sony 5400 against other player you would understand once you have a chance to buy one, you never have to buy another again. I keep playing sacd player since this media was born, but nothing could touch the Sony 5400 quality so far. One more thing. The Sony plays the regular cd with some magic as well. It converts the cd to dsd, which doesn't really matter, but it sounds amazing for my ears. Sorry for my bad English. I hope I could help.
Music forever!!!

would you care to describe your "side by side" testing protocol?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #273 of 429 Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Hi Guys.
Music forever!!!

Agreed! The Sony XA-5400ES sonically betters the Oppo BDP-95.
post #274 of 429 Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How dare you have an opinion?! wink.gif

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #275 of 429 Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

How dare you have an opinion?! wink.gif

I have the Sony SCD777ES AND DOES A GREAT JOB. the BDP- 95 is also very good. I just could not justify spending $1500 for a CD PLAYER I wished Sony had used the transport of the 5400ES and added Bluray capabilities. I would have bought Sony
post #276 of 429 Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I have the Sony SCD777ES AND DOES A GREAT JOB. the BDP- 95 is also very good. I just could not justify spending $1500 for a CD PLAYER I wished Sony had used the transport of the 5400ES and added Bluray capabilities. I would have bought Sony

Or simply added SACD to the BDP5000ES like they did to all their later models.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #277 of 429 Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 42
Gosh, how long has the Sony 5400 been out of production, or am I mixing that up with another model?

Edit: Never mind, partway through the thread someone announced that Sony had only suspended production of the 5400 for some reason.

Carry on!
post #278 of 429 Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Gosh, how long has the Sony 5400 been out of production, or am I mixing that up with another model? Edit: Never mind, partway through the thread someone announced that Sony had only suspended production of the 5400 for some reason. Carry on!

Long gone not manufactured anymore who knows they might come back?
post #279 of 429 Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Long gone not manufactured anymore who knows they might come back?

It is still on the Sony ES dealer website. I don't know why they do this, but their flagship / high-end products are no longer on their regular consumer website:
https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/dsweb/p/builtin/es_products.html
post #280 of 429 Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

It is still on the Sony ES dealer website. I don't know why they do this, but their flagship / high-end products are no longer on their regular consumer website:
https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/dsweb/p/builtin/es_products.html

The ES line has been back on the consumer website for a while now. Check out http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&searchType=search&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&productId=8198552921665537319
John
post #281 of 429 Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

There are posters on this very thread who have tried both side by side and some prefer the Sony and some prefer the Oppo. You have some real wild claims in your post (best ever made SACD player, regardless it's price).eek.gifbiggrin.gif I had a chance to audition the Sony recently and I thought it was excellent, but I also think my BDP-95 (soon to be sold) is also excellent and fit my needs better than the S
wow, this thread is still going, unbelieveable. What are you going to sell your BDP-95 for? The new BDP-105?

I'm still finishing my long-time theater project, have SCD-XA5400ES, BDP-95 and Marantz AV7005 sitting here in boxes (brand-new, never opened), just been overwhelmed with house projects/remodelling. Can't wait to listen to these players.
post #282 of 429 Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

wow, this thread is still going, unbelieveable. What are you going to sell your BDP-95 for? The new BDP-105?
I'm still finishing my long-time theater project, have SCD-XA5400ES, BDP-95 and Marantz AV7005 sitting here in boxes (brand-new, never opened), just been overwhelmed with house projects/remodelling. Can't wait to listen to these players.

I've already sold the BDP-105 and yes I will be getting the BDP-105. I am really not expecting any audio improvements over the BDP-95 (which I think is excellent), but there are some features that interest me on the BDP-105. I am thinking that any improvements in audio will most likely be only measurable and not audible, I know there will be some that will that the BDP-105 sounds better and vice a versa.biggrin.gif I got the email from Oppo to purchase the BDP-105, but I may wait to hear some 1st impressions.smile.gif

Sorry for the off topic.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #283 of 429 Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've already sold the BDP-105 and yes I will be getting the BDP-105. I am really not expecting any audio improvements over the BDP-95 (which I think is excellent), but there are some features that interest me on the BDP-105. I am thinking that any improvements in audio will most likely be only measurable and not audible, I know there will be some that will that the BDP-105 sounds better and vice a versa.biggrin.gif I got the email from Oppo to purchase the BDP-105, but I may wait to hear some 1st impressions
I see, interesting. Yeah, I received the BDP-105 e-mail from Oppo, very tempting. I was considering selling my (never-opened, original relaese) BDP-95 and getting the BDP-105, hmmmm. I understand BDP-95 unit's, with original software, are going for good prices on eBay (as there are many that are seeking out ISO functionality?).
post #284 of 429 Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see, interesting. Yeah, I received the BDP-105 e-mail from Oppo, very tempting. I was considering selling my (never-opened, original relaese) BDP-95 and getting the BDP-105, hmmmm. I understand BDP-95 unit's, with original software, are going for good prices on eBay (as there are many that are seeking out ISO functionality?).

I haven't seen many BDP-95s for sale on eBay, but owners are getting $400+ for BDP-93s, because of ISO (as you mentioned) and no Cinavia.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #285 of 429 Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't seen many BDP-95s for sale on eBay, but owners are getting $400+ for BDP-93s, because of ISO (as you mentioned) and no Cinavia.
yeah, I listed my brand-new, original release firmware (never-opened), BDP-83 on eBay yesterday, it sold for maximum price (no-bid) in two hours ($400.00)! So I purchased a BDP-103, which I just received today.

The BDP-103 unit will swap with my BDP-93 I'm using in my living-room system, consisting of- Denon AVR-2112CI receiver; Samsung 42in LED 3D SMART TV; Energy RC-Series speakers (RC-30 fronts, RC-LCR center; RC-R rears). This way I can take advantage of 3D TV functionality, as well as provide additional apps (NetFlix, Hulu, Pandora).

The BDP-93 unit will move into my (simple) bedroom system, consisting of- NAD C163 pre-amp/C272 amp; Samsung 32inch LED flat screen; Scientific Atlanta SA8300 cable box; Energy Veritas V-Mini speakers (wall-mounted). I plan to pipe 2ch OUT's from BDP-93 and SA8300 to C163 pre-amp 2ch INP's. This way I can: play CD, SACD and DVD-A music sources in the BDP-93 with 2ch analog playback; play BD and SD-DVD movie sources in the BDP-93 with 2ch down-mixed decoded surround; stream WMA archive music files from my external drive; stream movies from NetFlix with down-mixed decoded surround. I will probably have to add a sub into the mix later (integrated to the C163 pre-amp). My wife really wanted NetFlix streaming capability in the bedroom system, the BDP-83 did'nt have NetFlix app.

Now I'm seriously considering selling my BDP-95 to upgrade to a BDP-105. I'm seeing brand-new, original firmware (region free, ISO), BDP-95's selling for $1199.95 on eBay. I figure I should be able to get nearly the same for my (brand-new, never opened) BDP-95. Once I physically install these players into my rack they will not be removed for a long while, that's why (at this point) I'd rather have the latest version (ie. BDP-105).
post #286 of 429 Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 242
AS a CD player I am looking at this Sony or the Emotiva (which seems to have gotten decent reviews and is way cheaper). My Oppo 83 does just fine but the truncation at the start of songs is driving me nuts, and Oppo says it is not something they can do anything about. I'll keep the Oppo for video and use the CD player for CDs and SACDs.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #287 of 429 Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

but the truncation at the start of songs is driving me nuts, and Oppo says it is not something they can do anything about.
truncation? what? never heard anything about this? Probably good thing I sold my BDP-83 unit
post #288 of 429 Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

It is out of Oppo's control. According to them, MediaTek (who does the decoder) does not preload the disk (load and look to see the format to properly set up the digital decoding) so the first 0.5 seconds or so is lost while the decoder figures out the format before starting the bit stream. It affects analog as well since this happens before the DAC in the unit. This is no problem with a movie, but when playing an audio CD/SACD if the first notes occur in the first half-second or so you will lose them. Whether this is a problem depends on the CD; some have a little silence before the songs start. Unfortunately, I have a number that start write off, and I miss the first few notes. This came up again recently because I am transcribing some music for a brass group and using a boombox instead of my main audio system.

I really like everything else about the player and about Oppo the company, but this is a killer. Instead of upgrading to a 105, I am probably going to get a cheap player I can use just for audio CDs. The Sony looks very interesting and has gotten good press, but the Emo has also gotten good reviews so I may go with it (at 1/3 the price). I'll have more money for tunes...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #289 of 429 Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

AS a CD player I am looking at this Sony or the Emotiva (which seems to have gotten decent reviews and is way cheaper). My Oppo 83 does just fine but the truncation at the start of songs is driving me nuts, and Oppo says it is not something they can do anything about. I'll keep the Oppo for video and use the CD player for CDs and SACDs.

Was the player in auto play mode?
Quote:

truncation? what? never heard anything about this? Probably good thing I sold my BDP-83 unit

I had a BDP-83, but I don't ever recall this issue.eek.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #290 of 429 Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mode does not matter according to Oppo. I asked if there was a workaround and was told "no" along with a reasonably detailed explanation of the problem. Many CDs, at least of mine, have enough of a gap at the beginning that it does not matter, but as I have a said a significant percentage do not, and the first few notes get cut off. I just happen to have listened to several in a row that get cut off and pinged Oppo again. It is due to the decoder (IP they purchase) and Oppo cannot fix it; they are very clearly as frustrated as I and conceded they have lost business over this. I was thinking of upgrading to a 103/105 but since it has this same issue, and the video is fine in my 83, I am looking at alternatives.

post #291 of 429 Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM

That is strange.

I just tested my Oppo 95. Normally my amp turns on when it detects a signal, so I miss the first several seconds of a song upon first start up(I bet that would drive you nuts!). So I turned on the amp, then let the Oppo power up and it began playing a red book cd. Absolutely nothing missed, the very first note of the song played. I advanced to different tracks as well and there was no delay or missed notes either.

I suspect that something may be up with your Oppo. There is a guy, Bob Pariseau(sp?) who is an Oppo guru, you might track him down in the Oppo 105 or 103 thread with this issue, he'd probably know if there was anything to it.
post #292 of 429 Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you using the analog outputs or digital? The lag is greater with HDMI due to handshaking. It is a lot of work to rewire my system to use the analog outputs but I may try. It should only happen at first load, although I still lose a few notes if I start, stop, then hit the restart ( |<< ) button.

The other factor for me is that it depends upon the CD. Some, in fact most of mine, have a little pause before the music starts, and that is enough to "hide" the initial delay. Some do not, and I just happened to play a few in a row that start right off. I suspect most CDs have an initial pause before the music starts or many more folk would be yelling.

The explanation I got from Oppo was pretty clear as to the technical reasons, and confirmed it is a well-known issue for them.

Perhaps as a musician I am more sensitive, but I bet a lot of music lovers would not like it either. Yes, it drives me nuts, but it is a short drive. smile.gif

post #293 of 429 Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM

I use analog outputs only since the 95 has a suped up analog section as well as DAC. It's in my 2 channel system and I only use it for audio. You're using the 83 to a receiver, I didn't see that at first. I used to have an Emotiva ERC-1 cd player, and passed the digital feed through a dac to the amp. I think I'd get a delay then too on the first song. I don't think their current model plays SACD's. You could phone them to ask about truncation on first song, but it might depend on how the receiver's DAC section handles the conversion.

I guess you can't connect the 83 with 2 channel RCA's as well and use them when playing cds?

Edit: Okay, I just read your earlier posts and realize you've fully investigated this. I'm surprised though that Oppo is indicating that this can be an issue with their new models, is that what they said? I will say though, that my Oppo doesn't do this with analog, and maybe that may be an option for you. If not, keep us posted on what you find!
post #294 of 429 Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

It does do it with analog, but with much less delay. The delay comes from the decoder, which does not preload the disc to figure out the format before starting to play (as many other units do).

Using RCA outputs is an option, and in fact at one time I had them hooked up, but since then I have cleaned up the wires (sticking with HDMI since I heard no sonic difference in blind testing) and moved the console into place. That leaves insufficient space to get behind and rewire, and all the nice wire ties I used to clean it up nice and tight means I can't just pull the Oppo out. Aesthetics over functionality and I am paying the price in spades! I may still try to hook up the RCAs if I can do it without moving the console out again (it has the AVR, 52" TV, center speaker, Oppo, PS3, Wii, crossover and two power amps in it and I have to pull stuff to move the console, a huge PITA). I left the power amps and AVR accessible, but the Oppo is out of reach. Stoopid.

post #295 of 429 Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 PM

I asked them over on the Oppo 105 thread and the answers may enlighten on this.

The answers start at post 208, about 80% down the page, and continue a bit on the next page. Looks like it's a known thing like you suggested, though it affects the analog much less. I'd like to get a 103 just to have it process my cable signal with that Oppo quality.
post #296 of 429 Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that! I can confirm it also happens with analog, and is less of a truncation, just as Oppo service said, and confirmed it is on all models. Drat!

It is in the decoder itself so it does not matter what output you use, there will always be a bit of the very first track cut off. The additional truncation is due to HDMI hand-shaking, just as stated in the thread (and in my earlier post). The Oppo person I corresponded with seemed rather irate that the decoder vender would not fix the problem (apparently Oppo is too small a player for them). Many players preload the disc, reading the first block or so to determine the decoding required, before actually starting play. This makes the loading process a little longer but avoids truncation. Since movies have a lot of "dead time" at the start (previews, menus, etc.) it is no problem there, just for CDs (and SACDs) that start right off the bat.

This is certainly something I shall ask about and check when buying future players.

post #297 of 429 Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Many CDs, at least of mine, have enough of a gap at the beginning that it does not matter, but as I have a said a significant percentage do not, and the first few notes get cut off. I just happen to have listened to several in a row that get cut off...

I have the BDP-95 now, which I primarily use for CD / SACD / DVD-A analog playback via the DAC. I've not noticed this problem so far. Do you mind listing some of the CDs of yours that do have first notes cut off during playback? I'd like to hear the issue myself before I buy the 105 in part for its headphone amp and improved GUI (and curiosity / hope to see if analog is audibly improved or not over the 95.

Also, would this lag / cut off issue for CD playback also affect .wav or .flac files played via USB inputs?
post #298 of 429 Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not recall off-hand, but any CD that starts at time stamp 0 or quickly thereafter would be impacted. I was listening to a listening CD for an upcoming concert and the opening was cut short; also, an older Empre Brass Christmas CD that opens with "Joy to the World" -- the tune starts at about "World". I have noticed it before on others but that is probably the worst. Some have a slight pause before any music starts so you would not notice, and the delay/truncation is much less if you use the analog outputs instead of HDMI. Oppo said, for reasons that seem sound to me, that HDMI is the worst due to the extra handshaking required, and to expect about 0.5s cut off, and "only a note" so perhaps 0.1s or less for the analog outputs. I would anticipate other digital outputs to be somewhere in between.

Oppo said it was the decoder so I woud think it would also impact USB but I do not know. You could make a file that starts immediately and see if anything is cut off; I and others would be very interested in knowing that answer. For that matter, if you burn a CD that starts at time zero you should be able to tell.

I do not want to overblow this issue! I find it extremely annoying when it happens, but it does not happen on every CD and I love everything about the player and Oppo's support aside from this issue. I really need to hook up the analog outputs and try, but that is a very painful exercise with my present system configuration (physically).

I personally would not expect much difference sonically between the 95 and 105, cetainly none I could hear.

If and when I have time I will try to run a few CDs through and note which exhibit issues and which do not.

post #299 of 429 Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Thank you for the valuable info on CDs and the Oppo. Can it be mitigated by starting playback then pressing the "back track" button on the remote? I read somewhere that this worked for the Onkyo AVR which sometimes cuts off the beginning of CDs.
post #300 of 429 Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Did not work for me on the CD I had in at the time (and I expected it to); it may help with others.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page