post #61 of 429 Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

What also gives me pause is the idea of having anywhere between 16 and 24 RCA cables. I have a feeling that if I'm patient, I'll get the ideal blu-ray with the sonic trait I find appealing for a reasonable price. The reason I say this is that if I were patient in the past, I could have gotten an Arcam AV888 with HDMI for the same price of the Arcam AV9. I purchased the AV9 six months too soon.

Well, I wish you luck but note that the current trend is to eliminate analog MCH outputs in BluRay players in favor of HDMI.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 429 Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas where I could still buy a Sony SCD-XA5400ES from?

Thanks!

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #63 of 429 Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:

For me, equalizers affect transparency and I can hear the subtle degradation in the sound. And, I can hear a big difference in the sound with different D/A converters.

Did you match levels when you compared them?
post #64 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Did you match levels when you compared them?

More importantly, did he use the correct cables, footers, and burn in process?
post #65 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Well, I wish you luck but note that the current trend is to eliminate analog MCH outputs in BluRay players in favor of HDMI.

I think this trend applies to eliminating analog for video rather than audio. I have noted that the really cheaper blu-ray players are eliminating analog audio and video access. On high end players it would not make sense to eliminate analog access to audio because that would keep one from using the player's D/A converter. However, this is all conjecture on my part.
post #66 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think this trend applies to eliminating analog for video rather than audio. I have noted that the really cheaper blu-ray players are eliminating analog audio and video access. On high end players it would not make sense to eliminate analog access to audio because that would keep one from using the player's D/A converter. However, this is all conjecture on my part.

I agree but it is more subtle than that. The high-end players are eliminating the multichannel analog outputs but retaining 2channel analog output. Just putting off the inevitable.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #67 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree with Kal on this one. It is only a matter of time before you will not be able to use a BluRay player while utilizing an analog only 2 ch. system. I lament the day that my Yamaha DVD-S2700 and Pioneer BDP-51FD die...They both do one H$%# of a job on analog 2 ch. and multi ch. out! Players of this ilk are a dying breed. I feel that the big box companies want to make "high quality" amplification obsolete. They want to sell the "latest and greatest", and I use that term very loosely!

HDMI to your display generally makes good sense but not always in the audio realm. My previous Krell KAV-400xi is a great example. Their are not many receivers out that can pump out 290 wpc x 2 ch. into 8 ohms continuous, crystal clear and clean. The Krell is gone, I now own an old Yamaha AX-592 Integrated amp that will output well over 200 wpc. into 4 ohms! This "little" beast weighs about 25 lbs., compare that to most HTRs.

I am young but truly believe that two good channels sound better than 5-7 mediocre channels any day of the week! As a bonus I am listening to Linda Rondstadt on a mint LP, not even an option on most HTRs, LPs are "obsolete"!

No offense meant, period, just my two cents!

Cheers!
post #68 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry no don't see this trend apart from the cheapo budget boxes. But we aren't talking that here.

The oppo 95 here perfect example of company that has seen just how important analog to them that gone all out in investment to bring out unit in the 95 to make best of it.

Re loss of 2ch no for top end bd and universal players can't see that as happening. Too many of us out there with good analog performance to go with an all analog system we might have

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #69 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

Sorry no don't see this trend apart from the cheapo budget boxes. But we aren't talking that here.

Really? Look at all the high-end SACD players with only 2 channel outputs. See Esoteric or Marantz Reference for examples.

Quote:

The oppo 95 here perfect example of company that has seen just how important analog to them that gone all out in investment to bring out unit in the 95 to make best of it.

I really like Oppos but they aren't really "high end," at least, yet.

Quote:

Re loss of 2ch no for top end bd and universal players can't see that as happening. Too many of us out there with good analog performance to go with an all analog system we might have

2 channel analog ain't going away as fast as multichannel analog outputs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #70 of 429 Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? Look at all the high-end SACD players with only 2 channel outputs. See Esoteric or Marantz Reference for examples.

I don't think oppo 96 hi end either. But my point obviously missed on you is that they have gone to a lot of cost and effort to introduce the 95 which really only brings benefits over analog.

What high end bd players do we have ? A few overpriced oppo clones that have been badge engineered.theres the marantz and denon mid and top end players all have analog outputs.

The marantz sa players your talking about, ie 15, 11 & 7 have from day one been 2ch players. Ken Ishiwata of marantz when interviewed clearly iterated the sole basis of these players was 2 ch analog to appeal to the not to be underestimated Japanese audiophile market. These are pure analog output players to belong in pure analog systems.

I couldn't give two hoots about analog Multi channel. Have mucked around for years with legacy non hdmi gear and Multi ch analog players. And best thing did was upgrade to hdmi capability. On not just this forum and others have suggested to do the same to people. Including gbaby here with his legacy processor. Multi channel analog had its place in those transition years so you could get by using your existing avr or processor. Most so many years later have upgraded to make that mch analog capability redundant. Some die hards I guess continue to hang onto their legacy processors but I agree with you in coming years their choices will likely diminish.

Re 2ch analog that ain't going away at all kal. I know forums I visit people buying players like the oppo 95 just for the better 2ch analog over the run of the mill Sony Panasonic lg etc throwaways. Many want a universal player they can use over hdmi and also couples via analog for 2ch

2ch and analog very much alive and well. Haven't seen any signs of that diminishing or going away now or in the future.

post #71 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think oppo 96 hi end either. But my point obviously missed on you is that they have gone to a lot of cost and effort to introduce the 95 which really only brings benefits over analog.

I have not missed the point but, as you point out, you don't care about multichannel analog and that is my point. Fewer and fewer users will as they either abjure MCH entirely (and demand stereo analog outputs) or make the move to HDMI (and whatever will succeed it). Couple this with the mass market's move to HDMI with analog as a temporary accommodation for backwards compatibility and the doom for mch analog outputs is, ultimately, doomed. 2 channel analog will hang on in the high-end niche........like vinyl.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #72 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post

I lament the day that my Yamaha DVD-S2700 and Pioneer BDP-51FD die...They both do one H$%# of a job on analog 2 ch. and multi ch. out!

yeah, In love my BDP-05FD. Was planning on selling it, now I will probably re-install into my new set-up.
post #73 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

So in your opinion what does it take to make a player "high end" better dac's or something else inside or outside the player ? I'd really like to know what's missing now that would be added in the future to make it high end!
post #74 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree but it is more subtle than that. The high-end players are eliminating the multichannel analog outputs but retaining 2channel analog output. Just putting off the inevitable.

While I hope you are wrong, it was with your thought in mind that caused me to purchase a second Sony S5000ES. Its D/A converter sounds better than that of the Arcam AV9 for both legacy 5.1 and the new surround codecs. The sony's sound trait can be categorized as more opened, dynamic and immediate. So as much as possible, I listen the the S5000ES for all movies and concerts. I may have to obtain an HDMI based processor at some point in time, but that decision will be delayed for quite some time. It would seem that the only reason for a manufacturer to eliminate analog outs for multichannel blu-ray players is to cut cost. I'll start worrying about the analog outs being eliminated when the manufacturers start eliminating mutl-channel pass throughs. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
post #75 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

So in your opinion what does it take to make a player "high end" better dac's or something else inside or outside the player ? I'd really like to know what's missing now that would be added in the future to make it high end!

In my opinion, its the sound that makes a player "high end, " which does not necessarily equate to price.
post #76 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Its D/A converter sounds better than that of the Arcam AV9 for both legacy 5.1 and the new surround codecs. The sony's sound trait can be categorized as more opened, dynamic and immediate. So as much as possible,

Did you match levels when you were comparing them?
post #77 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Did you match levels when you were comparing them?

I didn't have to match the levels as I could tell immediately that the Sonys displayed a different sonic signiture than the Arcam at any volume level. Its not even close as its a different sound altogether. But the Arcam is excellent using its digital inputs for 2 channel sources play Dolby Pro-Logic IIx.
post #78 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Image.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #79 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Image.

Ahh! I gotta admit sometimes I like the unassuming profile of some gear, makes you feel like you know something they don't know, anyhow the 95 is what I call for lack of a better analogy "new money" and pedigree is just around the corner On the whole legacy thing, I for one Am glad analog outs are still around and hopefully will continue to be, as I'm a bit of a purist and rather like the approach 7.1 inputs ( or 10.1 or whatever) which in my case has seen many formats come and go but is there to accommodate the latest and greatest codec! Now give me the best of both and I cant say the added option of one cable (hdmi) and room correction! wouldn't be bad at all. One component at time helps out for longer intervals of system synergy As we all know one new addition can change things dramatically for better or worse in this pursuit.
post #80 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I didn't have to match the levels as I could tell immediately that the Sonys displayed a different sonic signiture than the Arcam at any volume level. Its not even close as its a different sound altogether.

Now that makes it easy to understand why you heard a difference.
post #81 of 429 Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hot air rises unfortunately, and 3/4 inch not a lot of space. possible to place the monster power condition out the rack ? give you a bit more room in the rack. and no real reason has to be in the rack, kind of thing can be discretely tucked away.

add some noctua silent PC fans. the denons usually have an ac outlet built in the back can use that to run a small transformer to feed the pc fans and they will then switch on and off with the avr

few shots of preliminary set-up of living room system, noting the clearance between components. The Denon AVR-2112CI has approx. 5/8in to 3/4in clearance between the top vented grill surface and the glass rack above. Than you have the Oppo BDP-93, Monster power conditioner, Scientific Atlanta digital cable box (from bottom to top). The BDI rack is open on all sides, so I'm thinking I may get away running things as is. But I will attempt to raise the middle glass shelf another 1.25in. Also have Energy RC-LCR center speaker sitting on top glass shelf. The cbale box has approx 2.00in of clearance between bottom surface of top glass shelf.
LL
LL
LL
post #82 of 429 Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

yes if can give some more room to breathe would definitely help. but otherwise suggest just monitor things see what sort of temps getting upto and then do anything if needed

post #83 of 429 Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Image.

That was a very funny and honest comment.
post #84 of 429 Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes if can give some more room to breathe would definitely help. but otherwise suggest just monitor things see what sort of temps getting upto and then do anything if needed

oh yes, those Noctua fans look very cool. Trying to figure out how/where I would mount one on the Denon receiver?
post #85 of 429 Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The high-end players are eliminating the multichannel analog outputs but retaining 2channel analog output

yeah I just bought a new Denon AVR-2112CI receiver to go with my Oppo BDP-93, mostly to provide a solid 3D capable living room system. I'm a little dissappointed to find out this receiver model, along with most of the current AVR line, don't provide multi-channel analog OUT's, or SACD capable HDMI. The only capable new Denon is the AVR-4311CI, but is $2000.00.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to play SACD's using the Oppo BDP-93? I guess only matrix through 2ch OUT's?
post #86 of 429 Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

oh yes, those Noctua fans look very cool. Trying to figure out how/where I would mount one on the Denon receiver?

the noctua's come with little anti vibration mounts. which you insert into almost all the way into each of the mounting points of fan, and they then also work as feet.

allowing you to then place the fan on top of the denon, drawing warm air out the top and aiding natural convection.

the fan I have hooked into a plug pack that goes in the power out my denon has. which is convenient as the fan then switches on / off with the denon. in my case its not like the denon getting overly hot or anything, its just a bit of additional cooling to be sure as have mine side by side to a multichannel amp

post #87 of 429 Old 01-29-2012, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah I just bought a new Denon AVR-2112CI receiver to go with my Oppo BDP-93, mostly to provide a solid 3D capable living room system. I'm a little dissappointed to find out this receiver model, along with most of the current AVR line, don't provide multi-channel analog OUT's, or SACD capable HDMI. The only capable new Denon is the AVR-4311CI, but is $2000.00.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to play SACD's using the Oppo BDP-93? I guess only matrix through 2ch OUT's?

thats been going on for ages. most brands on their lower ranges dont provide pre outs. which is a bit silly as its those amps that usually benefit the most with adding an external amp, if doing need multichannel outs !

post #88 of 429 Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah I just bought a new Denon AVR-2112CI receiver to go with my Oppo BDP-93, mostly to provide a solid 3D capable living room system. I'm a little dissappointed to find out this receiver model, along with most of the current AVR line, don't provide multi-channel analog OUT's, or SACD capable HDMI.

You mean multi-channel analog inputs don't you?
post #89 of 429 Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean multi-channel analog inputs don't you?

yep, my mistake. I meant to say multi-chan analog INP's. I have 5.1 set-up, wanted to have capability to play multi-chan SACD & DVD-A sources via-analog (which I prefer), or even SACD via-HDMI.
post #90 of 429 Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by unidisk View Post

Thanks for the info.

I have already ordered the XA5400. I use it for 2-ch SACD only. I have LINN as 2-ch CD player. I will still buy OPPO-95 and use it for 3D video only . I have SONY BDP-5000es for 2D blu-ray playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Any ideas where I could still buy a Sony SCD-XA5400ES from?

Thanks!

This player has been discontinued according to Sony's website --at least in the US. Sony doesn't appear to be selling much of any high-end audio in the US, unless they have a separate website I cannot find. They may be lucking out and finding a store that has one in stock still? The Oppo has much better availability.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page