AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

nah, i'm an oppo fanboy......

which Oppo model are you using (BDP-95)? With your AVR-A100CI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 429 Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

which Oppo model are you using (BDP-95)? With your AVR-A100CI?

Not Ccotenj, but I'm using a BDP-93 with my A100 and have been very pleased. Chris can confirm, but I believe he has the 93 as well.
post #183 of 429 Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

correct, bdp-93... hdmi to the a100 for main room... spdif to the a100 for zone 2...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #184 of 429 Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Not Ccotenj, but I'm using a BDP-93 with my A100 and have been very pleased. Chris can confirm, but I believe he has the 93 as well.

Quote:

^^^

correct, bdp-93... hdmi to the a100 for main room... spdif to the a100 for zone 2...

ah, I see, thanks.

I'm curious because I recently set-up a new 2nd (more simplistic) system for my living room consisting of a Denon AVR-2112CI/Oppo BDP-93 combo. Also Samsung LED Smart TV, Energy RC-Series speakers, and NetGear etherNET (network) peripherals. I'm using HDMI and 2ch analog OUT's. I'm totally impressed with the Oppo BDP-93, nice soundstage, very detailed, smooth and "airy" sound. Been experimenting playing CD's and SACD sources, also streaming locally to my WD MyBookLive DLNA drive. The capabilities are endless- the Denon receiver, alone, has a multitude of sound formats and modes. I'm trying to decipher whether the 2ch OUT's are active when PURE DIRECT is selected? I thought it should default to 2ch OUT's when selecting this mode? Have'nt had a lot of time to figure everything out yet.

Not sure if I really need to upgrade (from my BlackBerry) to an iPhone 4S to implement AirPlay at this point?

Also setting-up my other theater room using Marantz AV7005 processor/Parasound A51 amp, Oppo BDP-95, Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Monitor Audio Gold GS-Series speakers, etc.,...
post #185 of 429 Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Why is "commsysman" testing being challenged so vigorously. Is it because he preferred the Oppo or the degree to which he preferred Oppo? This is what his ears is telling him regardless of whether you agree with his method of level matching or not. Unless I missed it no one else fully disclosed their testing or calibration method or the tools used yet we seem to give them a pass. I would venture a guess that most who do level matching in general use a SPL meter. I truly believe it is cost prohibitive for most to properly level match, but I could be wrong.

I thought I read some who thoroughly preferred the Sony, but it wasn't met with this much scrutiny.

As far as I'm concerned, one need not level match for the Oppo BDP-95 and the Sony BDP-XA5400ES as the Oppo has an entirely different sonic signature than the Sony. It was evident to me as soon listened to both units. As far as which is better sounding, at this point, I think it depends on the rest of your system.
post #186 of 429 Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

As far as I'm concerned, one need not level match for the Oppo BDP-95 and the Sony BDP-XA5400ES as the Oppo has an entirely different sonic signature than the Sony. It was evident to me as soon listened to both units. As far as which is better sounding, at this point, I think it depends on the rest of your system.

Try this, borrow a same disc player you already have (Oppo BDP-95 or Sony BDP-XA5400ES) from someone or a dealer and listen to them at different volume levels. I'll guarantee you that they will sound different even though they are the same model.
post #187 of 429 Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Try this, borrow a same disc player you already have (Oppo BDP-95 or Sony BDP-XA5400ES) from someone or a dealer and listen to them at different volume levels. I'll guarantee you that they will sound different even though they are the same model.

You may be correct. But, I can tell you that when I compared the sound of the sony and oppo, their differing sonic traits were quite audible in both soft and loud levels.
post #188 of 429 Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:

You may be correct. But, I can tell you that when I compared the sound of the sony and oppo, their differing sonic traits were quite audible in both soft and loud levels.

Try the method I mentioned at both soft and loud levels. I'll still guarantee you that you will hear the difference from two of the same model.
post #189 of 429 Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Try the method I mentioned at both soft and loud levels. I'll still guarantee you that you will hear the difference from two of the same model.

Its a strong possibility you are correct because my Arcam AV9 has analog inputs with differrent sound quality with the 7.1 pass throughs being the cleanest, the CD inputs being second and the other inputs having varying degrees of sound quality.
post #190 of 429 Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:

And another:

Quote:
I own the Sony SCD-XA5400ES, but I tried to buy the Oppo BDP-95 due to its ability to play SACD in 5.1. I could not stand the sound of the Oppo using its analog outs because I felt the midrange and highs were a little wooly sounding, and I could not hear that last octave from the notes at high frequency from the Oppo. The Sony had sweeter more opened midrange and high frequency than the Oppo. You can see my comments on the Sony vs. the Oppo BDP-95 on the 95 thread on this site.

You have been repeating this for, what, 3 months now? Have you got anything new to add or are you content to repeat yourself endlessly? Please let me buy you a new component so you can spend the next 6 months posting on it.

At any rate, your result was the product of either a faulty unit or faulty comparison. The Oppo95 has been reviewed by many organizations and many professional reviewers and not one has found such a result. One such reviewer actually compared the Sony and Oppo as you did and found them to be very close, though the Oppo came out on top.

Your result shows something was wrong, and by repeatedly insisting on this forum time and time again and again that you could easily hear that the two units were completely different, you reveal nothing more than an agenda.
post #191 of 429 Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

And another:

You have been repeating this for, what, 3 months now? Have you got anything new to add or are you content to repeat yourself endlessly? Please let me buy you a new component so you can spend the next 6 months posting on it.

At any rate, your result was the product of either a faulty unit or faulty comparison. The Oppo95 has been reviewed by many organizations and many professional reviewers and not one has found such a result. One such reviewer actually compared the Sony and Oppo as you did and found them to be very close, though the Oppo came out on top.

Your result shows something was wrong, and by repeatedly insisting on this forum time and time again and again that you could easily hear that the two units were completely different, you reveal nothing more than an agenda.

Actually, I only repsonded to different inquiries and recommendations. And, my opinion of the Oppo vs. the Sony remains the same and I attribute this to the rest of my system. My tweeters are -3db at 20Hz so this may very well be the reason I like the sound of the Sony vs. Oppo. But, since you volunteered, I sure would be interested in you buying me a Classe CT-SSP processor so my comparisons can be a mute point.
post #192 of 429 Old 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Actually, I only repsonded to different inquiries and recommendations. And, my opinion of the Oppo vs. the Sony remains the same and I attribute this to the rest of my system. My tweeters are -3db at 20Hz so this may very well be the reason I like the sound of the Sony vs. Oppo. But, since you volunteered, I sure would be interested in you buying me a Classe CT-SSP processor so my comparisons can be a mute point.

Your tweeters are -3dB at 20Hz???

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #193 of 429 Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:

I can do that!
post #194 of 429 Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Its a strong possibility you are correct because my Arcam AV9 has analog inputs with differrent sound quality with the 7.1 pass throughs being the cleanest, the CD inputs being second and the other inputs having varying degrees of sound quality.

The term you want to use is "sound volume". In order to judge the sound quality, you have to match the volume levels to within 0.1 db which you haven't done.
post #195 of 429 Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Your tweeters are -3dB at 20Hz???

My left and right speakers are Infinity Composition Preludes, and the frequency response for them is 32Hz to 20kHz +/- 3 db. I can see why you are confused because I left off the k. In any event, I attribute the frequency response on the high end of the spectrum as the reason I found the Oppo too warm in my system. That was the only reason I mentioned it. Sorry.
post #196 of 429 Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I can do that!

I was raised to never accept gifts from strangers, but for you, I'm going to make an exception. My address is....... Just kidding.
post #197 of 429 Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My left and right speakers are Infinity Composition Preludes, and the frequency response for them is 32Hz to 20kHz +/- 3 db. I can see why you are confused because I left off the k. In any event, I attribute the frequency response on the high end of the spectrum as the reason I found the Oppo too warm in my system. That was the only reason I mentioned it. Sorry.

ummmmm....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #198 of 429 Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

My left and right speakers are Infinity Composition Preludes, and the frequency response for them is 32Hz to 20kHz +/- 3 db.

That doesn't mean they are 3db down at 20khz. But even if it did, are you able to hear anywhere near 20khz? I doubt it.
post #199 of 429 Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

good to see that there's at least one other person paying attention here...

- chris

post #200 of 429 Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

In any event, I attribute the frequency response on the high end of the spectrum as the reason I found the Oppo too warm in my system.

So you can hear that -0.15db @ 20k, or you can see it, know it...and then hear it?

cheers,

AJ
post #201 of 429 Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

So you can hear that -0.15db @ 20k, or you can see it, know it...and then hear it?

cheers,

AJ

I was referring to my speakers and not the Oppo, itself. Regardless, it was warm sounding in my system. Whether its because of its the compatibility of my speakers, amp or processor, I can't tell you, I can only speculate.
post #202 of 429 Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well... once you figure out what the frequency response measurement of your speakers really means, you might have more of a leg to stand on...

- chris

post #203 of 429 Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

well... once you figure out what the frequency response measurement of your speakers really means, you might have more of a leg to stand on...

I thought it meant that the speakers were capable of playing frequencies within the frequency range it was rated. But, if not, I'm always opened for knowledge and info.
post #204 of 429 Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:

I was referring to my speakers and not the Oppo, itself. Regardless, it was warm sounding in my system.

IOW, you are referring to the Oppo.

Quote:

Whether its because of its the compatibility of my speakers, amp or processor, I can't tell you, I can only speculate.

Add yourself to the top of your speculation list, as the far highest probability for the actual source of the warmth perceived.

cheers,

AJ
post #205 of 429 Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought it meant that the speakers were capable of playing frequencies within the frequency range it was rated. But, if not, I'm always opened for knowledge and info.

yea, it does... but your first post on the subject indicated that you were reading more into that spec... sorry for the misunderstanding...

Quote:

Add yourself to the top of your speculation list, as the far highest probability for the actual source of the warmth perceived.

cheers,

AJ

lol, yea...

- chris

post #206 of 429 Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

cheers,

AJ

Acutally, I do think that the Oppo is warmer than the Sony, and thats not speculation. What is speculation is the reason why the Oppo is warmer sounding to me. There are so many variables, I cannot pick one. It could be the Sony has a much wider frequency response in SACD than the Oppo. I think the Sony (SCD-XA5400ES) is 2 Hz to 50khz +/- 2dbs whereas the Oppo is approximately 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 1 or 2db. I no longer own the Oppo so if you own one you can verify the correct frequency response. At any rate a wide frequency response affects harmonics which can have an effect on the sound. Whatever the reason, in my setup, the Sony has a sonic trait that I find favorable and it continues to be my best sounding source for 2 channel music. I just wish it was SACD 5.1 rather than 2.0. I also prefer the sound of my Sony BDP-S5000ES for movies over the Oppo. Please understand that this is using both units analog outs. If fact, these are the only Sony products that I find to be quite good sounding.
post #207 of 429 Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Acutally, I do think that the Oppo is warmer than the Sony, and thats not speculation.

But you just speculated at the beginning of that sentence.
post #208 of 429 Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Acutally, I do think that the Oppo is warmer than the Sony, and thats not speculation.

We gathered that after the first few times you said it. No one disputes this is what you think.
Quote:

What is speculation is the reason why the Oppo is warmer sounding to me.

No, it isn't speculation to say you are by far the highest probability as to why the Oppo "sounds warm". The measurements have ended any speculation with regards to it being the soundwaves produced with the Oppo in the chain.
Quote:

There are so many variables, I cannot pick one.

Agreed. Your listening was uncontrolled, as thus could have been volume related, expectation biases, mood, psychogenic, etc, etc.
I can't pick one either.
Quote:

It could be the Sony has a much wider frequency response in SACD than the Oppo. I think the Sony (SCD-XA5400ES) is 2 Hz to 50khz +/- 2dbs whereas the Oppo is approximately 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 1 or 2db.

Nope:

Only down around 0.1db @ 20k (-1 around 40k), IOW, well outside JNDs for (rational) humans.
Quote:

At any rate a wide frequency response affects harmonics which can have an effect on the sound.

Right, but that is irrelevant to the Oppo in question and thus wishful thinking/pure speculation as you noted earlier.
Quote:

Whatever the reason, in my setup, the Sony has a sonic trait that I find favorable

I have told you the reason why. You. Shouldn't be a tough pill to swallow at all. Same for me and everyone else.
Now subjectively enjoy your Sony. Nothing to dispute there. Interject audiophile objective crutches/wishful thinking, for what is purely subjective choice and you'll run yourself needlessly into trouble.
The Sony "sounds great" to you. The Oppo "sounds warm" to you. End of story. Case closed.

cheers,

AJ
post #209 of 429 Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I have told you the reason why. You. Shouldn't be a tough pill to swallow at all. Same for me and everyone else.

Now subjectively enjoy your Sony. Nothing to dispute there. Interject audiophile objective crutches/wishful thinking, for what is purely subjective choice and you'll run yourself needlessly into trouble.

The Sony "sounds great" to you. The Oppo "sounds warm" to you. End of story. Case closed.

cheers,

AJ

AJ,

I respect gbaby's preference for the Sony sonic signature, but it is just that his preference. I have a Sony BDP-S5000ES, an Oppo BDP-95, a Pioneer BDP-05FD and a Yamaha DVD-S1800 in my main setup and the Sony would be my 3rd choice for 2 channel audio and the Oppo is my 1st, but this is just my preference and has nothing to do with Sony. I think the Sony is a fine product, but my ears prefer the Oppo.

What amuses me is how often gbaby states he owned the Oppo but sent it back in favor of Sony and he seems to wear this as some badge of honor.

gbaby, I mean no disrespct, but this is just my observations based on your postings hear on the 2 other Sony threads (XA-5400ES and BDP-S5000ES) you frequent and the Oppo BDP-95 owners thread.

The bottom line is that there are no wrong or right answer when it comes to this hobby of ours. Unfortunately, some believe their subjective preference(s) is the gospel and look for validation on their thread of choice.

The thing that I have learned since joining the AV Forum is how insecure some people are about their purchases and a need for validation by others.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #210 of 429 Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I have a Sony BDP-S5000ES, an Oppo BDP-95, a Pioneer BDP-05FD and a Yamaha DVD-S1800 in my main setup and the Sony would be my 3rd choice for 2 channel audio and the Oppo is my 1st

you're referring to the Sony BDP-S5000ES here, not the SCD-XA5400ES? How do you think the Pioneer BDP-05FD ranks here?

You know me, I also own the Pioneer BDP-05FD. I'm finding it tough to let go of this player for 2ch CD quality (as well as BD and SD-DVD video quality).

I'm re-configuring my main theater system as I speak (been taking quite a while). I will be installing all new Oppo BDP-95 and a Sony SCD-XA5400ES. But trying to make final decision to include Pioneer BDP-05FD or not? I'm leanng towards yes (I was considering selling instead). I do like having a good back-up for SD-DVD and BD sources.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page