Onkyo C-S5VL vs. Memorex CD6004 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Looking for input on the Onkyo C-S5VL and its Wolfson WM8742 DAC versus the Marantz CD6004 and its Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC. The Onkyo retails for $100 more than the Marantz, but is discounted heavily online. Amazon has it for $150 less than the Marantz. [I realize that the C-S5VL plays SACD, but that is a non-factor for me.] I'm more interested in CD playback. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know this is a dated thread and the OP has likely made a decision long ago but as the owner of each of these, I can say I don't have a preference. They are both great players with the Onkyo able to read CD-RW CD's that the Marantz cannot (even though the manual states it can). I prefer the appearance of the Marantz and it sits underneath a Marantz PM8004 integrated amp as the core of my living room system which runs through NHT SuperOne speakers.

The Onkyo is downstairs and runs through a Yamaha RX-V990 receiver into Celestion DL-8 speakers.

Home Theater: Yamaha RX-V990, Onkyo C-S5VL, Technics, SL-QL1, Celestion DL-8 Series II L/R, NHT center and rears

2-channel living room : Marantz PM8004, Marantz CD6004, Denon DP-23F, NHT SuperOnes

2-channel office: Marantz PM6004, NHT SuperOnes, internet radio fed by iPad Air
post #3 of 3 Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG123 View Post

I know this is a dated thread and the OP has likely made a decision long ago but as the owner of each of these, I can say I don't have a preference. They are both great players with the Onkyo able to read CD-RW CD's that the Marantz cannot (even though the manual states it can). I prefer the appearance of the Marantz and it sits underneath a Marantz PM8004 integrated amp as the core of my living room system which runs through NHT SuperOne speakers.

The Onkyo is downstairs and runs through a Yamaha RX-V990 receiver into Celestion DL-8 speakers.

As the OP, I can state that I got the Marantz and am thoroughly happy with it. I run the analog audio out, with all digital circuitry shut off. It goes into my Sony ES amp with the "Analog Direct" switch enabled. I only have one CD-RW (not burned by me), and it reads it fine.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page