onkyo c-7030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
been using my marantz bd7004 for cdp for about a year & decided to save wear n tear get a dedicated cdp so went with the above mentioned from what i read around, but compared to the marantz, it's sound is muddled when listening to classical cds & on vocal cds/bands drum cymbals are too bright & not enuff bass sigh, so have tweaked my avr (onkyo ht-rc180) best i can but it's still not as good as the marantz. hooked this cdp up with the rca cables & played various cds using pure audio, then neo:6 music, thx, stereo, just about all the options & still can't hear the intrumentals like i was used to hearing; so guess this cdp just isn't cut up to be what other listeners feel they hear. it's fine if you're playing a cd & doing whatever around the house, but when i sit & listen, it sounds like it's lacking in just about every octave ugh. even with my low end mordaunt-short carnival speakers i got more out of the marantz with all the video processing etc turned off so i'm quite disappointed with this onkyo cdp. am thinking the avr's burr-brown dac is far above the wolfson in this case, so guess it's a good thing i didn't spend another $150 & go with the c-s5vl! imho, it's just an average cdp so spending $159 wasn't too bad, but i somehow expected more from all the reviewers out there lol. oh well. i'll give it a couple months to "break-in," but i don't expect much improvement.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just goes to show that everyone imagines different things when auditioning equipment.

Maybe break-in will make it "be what other listeners feel they hear", and you will "feel" that way too.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
There are a lot of reasons why the Marantz is giving you better sound quality than the Onkyo. It is simply a much better designed and engineered product.

If you want the very best sound quality and video performance you should consider the OPO BDP-95; it does it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

been using my marantz bd7004 for cdp for about a year & decided to save wear n tear get a dedicated cdp so went with the above mentioned from what i read around, but compared to the marantz, it's sound is muddled when listening to classical cds & on vocal cds/bands drum cymbals are too bright & not enuff bass sigh, so have tweaked my avr (onkyo ht-rc180) best i can but it's still not as good as the marantz. hooked this cdp up with the rca cables & played various cds using pure audio, then neo:6 music, thx, stereo, just about all the options & still can't hear the intrumentals like i was used to hearing; so guess this cdp just isn't cut up to be what other listeners feel they hear. it's fine if you're playing a cd & doing whatever around the house, but when i sit & listen, it sounds like it's lacking in just about every octave ugh. even with my low end mordaunt-short carnival speakers i got more out of the marantz with all the video processing etc turned off so i'm quite disappointed with this onkyo cdp. am thinking the avr's burr-brown dac is far above the wolfson in this case, so guess it's a good thing i didn't spend another $150 & go with the c-s5vl! imho, it's just an average cdp so spending $159 wasn't too bad, but i somehow expected more from all the reviewers out there lol. oh well. i'll give it a couple months to "break-in," but i don't expect much improvement.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

i'm perfectly happy with my bluray performance with the marantz & now the cd performance with the onkyo after the break-in. one of the things that helped it reach it's potential imho was to turn off the audessey equalizer in my avr, truly made a difference. i pretty much have all the electronics i need, not to spend $$ on another player until one of these wears out, will use what little i do have to upgrade my speakers.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

i'm perfectly happy with my bluray performance with the marantz & now the cd performance with the onkyo after the break-in. one of the things that helped it reach it's potential imho was to turn off the audessey equalizer in my avr, truly made a difference. i pretty much have all the electronics i need, not to spend $$ on another player until one of these wears out, will use what little i do have to upgrade my speakers.

Now you've had it for a year plus, do you like it even more or less? smile.gif

I'm thinking of getting one.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #6 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Bump - any owners of the Onkyo 7030 out there?

How does this compare to say, the Yamaha CD-S300?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Now you've had it for a year plus, do you like it even more or less? smile.gif

I'm thinking of getting one.
it was a fine cdp, but it still didn't compare to playing cds on the Marantz which sounded simply, more musical. I listen to a lot of classical pieces & the diff was noticable, so I sold the Onkyo & got a Teac HD-P600 & have never looked back! That is one awesome cdp!!! I'm upgrading from Polk Monitor 70s x 4 to RTi A7s & can hardly wait til they arrive. I just know they're gonna blow my socks off hehe! biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags