onkyo c-7030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
wtxgringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver City aka Hell, Texas
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
been using my marantz bd7004 for cdp for about a year & decided to save wear n tear get a dedicated cdp so went with the above mentioned from what i read around, but compared to the marantz, it's sound is muddled when listening to classical cds & on vocal cds/bands drum cymbals are too bright & not enuff bass sigh, so have tweaked my avr (onkyo ht-rc180) best i can but it's still not as good as the marantz. hooked this cdp up with the rca cables & played various cds using pure audio, then neo:6 music, thx, stereo, just about all the options & still can't hear the intrumentals like i was used to hearing; so guess this cdp just isn't cut up to be what other listeners feel they hear. it's fine if you're playing a cd & doing whatever around the house, but when i sit & listen, it sounds like it's lacking in just about every octave ugh. even with my low end mordaunt-short carnival speakers i got more out of the marantz with all the video processing etc turned off so i'm quite disappointed with this onkyo cdp. am thinking the avr's burr-brown dac is far above the wolfson in this case, so guess it's a good thing i didn't spend another $150 & go with the c-s5vl! imho, it's just an average cdp so spending $159 wasn't too bad, but i somehow expected more from all the reviewers out there lol. oh well. i'll give it a couple months to "break-in," but i don't expect much improvement.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
wtxgringo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just goes to show that everyone imagines different things when auditioning equipment.

Maybe break-in will make it "be what other listeners feel they hear", and you will "feel" that way too.
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
There are a lot of reasons why the Marantz is giving you better sound quality than the Onkyo. It is simply a much better designed and engineered product.

If you want the very best sound quality and video performance you should consider the OPO BDP-95; it does it all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

been using my marantz bd7004 for cdp for about a year & decided to save wear n tear get a dedicated cdp so went with the above mentioned from what i read around, but compared to the marantz, it's sound is muddled when listening to classical cds & on vocal cds/bands drum cymbals are too bright & not enuff bass sigh, so have tweaked my avr (onkyo ht-rc180) best i can but it's still not as good as the marantz. hooked this cdp up with the rca cables & played various cds using pure audio, then neo:6 music, thx, stereo, just about all the options & still can't hear the intrumentals like i was used to hearing; so guess this cdp just isn't cut up to be what other listeners feel they hear. it's fine if you're playing a cd & doing whatever around the house, but when i sit & listen, it sounds like it's lacking in just about every octave ugh. even with my low end mordaunt-short carnival speakers i got more out of the marantz with all the video processing etc turned off so i'm quite disappointed with this onkyo cdp. am thinking the avr's burr-brown dac is far above the wolfson in this case, so guess it's a good thing i didn't spend another $150 & go with the c-s5vl! imho, it's just an average cdp so spending $159 wasn't too bad, but i somehow expected more from all the reviewers out there lol. oh well. i'll give it a couple months to "break-in," but i don't expect much improvement.

commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
wtxgringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver City aka Hell, Texas
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i'm perfectly happy with my bluray performance with the marantz & now the cd performance with the onkyo after the break-in. one of the things that helped it reach it's potential imho was to turn off the audessey equalizer in my avr, truly made a difference. i pretty much have all the electronics i need, not to spend $$ on another player until one of these wears out, will use what little i do have to upgrade my speakers.

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
wtxgringo is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
blacklion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

i'm perfectly happy with my bluray performance with the marantz & now the cd performance with the onkyo after the break-in. one of the things that helped it reach it's potential imho was to turn off the audessey equalizer in my avr, truly made a difference. i pretty much have all the electronics i need, not to spend $$ on another player until one of these wears out, will use what little i do have to upgrade my speakers.

Now you've had it for a year plus, do you like it even more or less? smile.gif

I'm thinking of getting one.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
blacklion is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
blacklion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bump - any owners of the Onkyo 7030 out there?

How does this compare to say, the Yamaha CD-S300?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
blacklion is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
wtxgringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver City aka Hell, Texas
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Now you've had it for a year plus, do you like it even more or less? smile.gif

I'm thinking of getting one.
it was a fine cdp, but it still didn't compare to playing cds on the Marantz which sounded simply, more musical. I listen to a lot of classical pieces & the diff was noticable, so I sold the Onkyo & got a Teac HD-P600 & have never looked back! That is one awesome cdp!!! I'm upgrading from Polk Monitor 70s x 4 to RTi A7s & can hardly wait til they arrive. I just know they're gonna blow my socks off hehe! biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
wtxgringo is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Onkyo C 7030 Compact Disc Player Black

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off