SACD 2 channel format - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not really sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a Denon DVD 2910 that I will be using in a dedicated 2 channel audio format. This player plays SACD's.

I would like to purchase some SACD's, and the player allows 2 channel to selected or multi 5.1 channel.

The question I have is when you select 2 channel from a SACD are you getting the SACD 2 channel processing or standard CD quality 2 channel processing. And if it is SACD processing is it 2 channel say the way the CD was originally recorded or is it just the L and R channel of the 5.1 surround with out the other 3.1 speakers. In other word is there missing audio informatin in the 2 channel SACD format?

Sorry if this question seem badly phrased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Lemming View Post

I have a Denon DVD 2910 that I will be using in a dedicated 2 channel audio format. This player plays SACD's.

I would like to purchase some SACD's, and the player allows 2 channel to selected or multi 5.1 channel.

The question I have is when you select 2 channel from a SACD are you getting the SACD 2 channel processing or standard CD quality 2 channel processing. And if it is SACD processing is it 2 channel say the way the CD was originally recorded or is it just the L and R channel of the 5.1 surround with out the other 3.1 speakers. In other word is there missing audio informatin in the 2 channel SACD format?

Each SACD is different. Some have both the SACD tracks in 2 channel and SACD 6 channel. Some have only SACD 2 channel and some have SACD 2 channel and CD 2 channel. The label and liner notes should spell that out for you.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Each SACD is different. Some have both the SACD tracks in 2 channel and SACD 6 channel. Some have only SACD 2 channel and some have SACD 2 channel and CD 2 channel. The label and liner notes should spell that out for you.

There are three possible inclusions:
1. SACD track in stereo.
2. SACD track in multichannel.
3. CD track in stereo. If this is included, the disc is called a hybrid SACD disc.

Typically, all three are included. Sometimes, only 1 + 3. Rarely, only 1 + 2.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Music Direct has a good selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Lemming View Post

post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just picked up Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms :20th Anniversary Edition (SACD). This disc has a 2ch, 2ch SACD and a multi channel SACD layer. Both SACD layers sound fantastic. Awesome experience.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

Just picked up Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms :20th Anniversary Edition (SACD). This disc has a 2ch, 2ch SACD and a multi channel SACD layer. Both SACD layers sound fantastic. Awesome experience.

Yep, BIA is a good one. Knopfler has some solid solo releases as well on SACD and DVD-A.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page