SACD 2 channel format - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Last Lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not really sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a Denon DVD 2910 that I will be using in a dedicated 2 channel audio format. This player plays SACD's.

I would like to purchase some SACD's, and the player allows 2 channel to selected or multi 5.1 channel.

The question I have is when you select 2 channel from a SACD are you getting the SACD 2 channel processing or standard CD quality 2 channel processing. And if it is SACD processing is it 2 channel say the way the CD was originally recorded or is it just the L and R channel of the 5.1 surround with out the other 3.1 speakers. In other word is there missing audio informatin in the 2 channel SACD format?

Sorry if this question seem badly phrased.
Last Lemming is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Lemming View Post

not really sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a Denon DVD 2910 that I will be using in a dedicated 2 channel audio format. This player plays SACD's.

I would like to purchase some SACD's, and the player allows 2 channel to selected or multi 5.1 channel.

The question I have is when you select 2 channel from a SACD are you getting the SACD 2 channel processing or standard CD quality 2 channel processing. And if it is SACD processing is it 2 channel say the way the CD was originally recorded or is it just the L and R channel of the 5.1 surround with out the other 3.1 speakers. In other word is there missing audio informatin in the 2 channel SACD format?

Sorry if this question seem badly phrased.

Each SACD is different. Some have both the SACD tracks in 2 channel and SACD 6 channel. Some have only SACD 2 channel and some have SACD 2 channel and CD 2 channel. The label and liner notes should spell that out for you.
mlknez is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Each SACD is different. Some have both the SACD tracks in 2 channel and SACD 6 channel. Some have only SACD 2 channel and some have SACD 2 channel and CD 2 channel. The label and liner notes should spell that out for you.

There are three possible inclusions:
1. SACD track in stereo.
2. SACD track in multichannel.
3. CD track in stereo. If this is included, the disc is called a hybrid SACD disc.

Typically, all three are included. Sometimes, only 1 + 3. Rarely, only 1 + 2.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #4 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,302
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Music Direct has a good selection.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Lemming View Post

not really sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a Denon DVD 2910 that I will be using in a dedicated 2 channel audio format. This player plays SACD's.

I would like to purchase some SACD's, and the player allows 2 channel to selected or multi 5.1 channel.

The question I have is when you select 2 channel from a SACD are you getting the SACD 2 channel processing or standard CD quality 2 channel processing. And if it is SACD processing is it 2 channel say the way the CD was originally recorded or is it just the L and R channel of the 5.1 surround with out the other 3.1 speakers. In other word is there missing audio informatin in the 2 channel SACD format?

Sorry if this question seem badly phrased.

commsysman is online now  
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
fuzzybk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just picked up Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms :20th Anniversary Edition (SACD). This disc has a 2ch, 2ch SACD and a multi channel SACD layer. Both SACD layers sound fantastic. Awesome experience.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
fuzzybk is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

Just picked up Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms :20th Anniversary Edition (SACD). This disc has a 2ch, 2ch SACD and a multi channel SACD layer. Both SACD layers sound fantastic. Awesome experience.

Yep, BIA is a good one. Knopfler has some solid solo releases as well on SACD and DVD-A.

***************************************
My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
holt7153 is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off