Still shopping for a multi-disc CD player... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Having struck out on getting a demo Rotel from a dealer, I am still on the hunt for a multi-disc player.

Units I've identified in my price range (either MSRP, currently on sale, or the hope that they go on sale):

- Denon DCM-290
- Denon DCM-390
- Yamaha CDC-697
- Yamaha CDC-600
- Teac PD-D2610
- Sherwood CDC-5090R
- Onkyo DXM 390

I've read reviews on all of these and all seem to be somewhat hit or miss. The Onkyo seems to have the most negative reviews, but the positive ones are really positive.

Because I will be running this through my Yamaha RX-A800 (likely connected digital), it is really more of a transport. Purely on the basis I just need "something", the Teac wins as I can get it the cheapest. But, also want something that hopefully will last me more than a year or 2, which makes me feel like leaning more toward one of the Yamaha units, which are more towards to the top of where I would like to be (unless I could get a great sale).

Looking for comments from owners of any of these units.

Thanks

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have never had any of those players, but have had many changers in the past. The Yamaha's were always very reliable.

Changers are generally for convenience, so you may be better off going with some type of music server. There's nothing like being able to choose from your entire collection from any location in the house without ever changing a disc.

I use one of these, and I love it:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Member
 
MarvinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in the same situation when my Sony changer died last year.

I ended up going with the Yamaha 697 based on the reviews. (I was also considering a Marantz refurb for the same price.)

No problems so far (about 8 or 9 months). I use it as a transport (optical out into a Denon receiver).

I imagine I would have been happy with any of the other units if I had gone with something else.

The only downside is that it doesn't do SACD, but nothing in that price range does.
MarvinC is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

I have never had any of those players, but have had many changers in the past. The Yamaha's were always very reliable.

Changers are generally for convenience, so you may be better off going with some type of music server. There's nothing like being able to choose from your entire collection from any location in the house without ever changing a disc.

I use one of these, and I love it:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model



Thanks, but I'm not really looking to digitize my CD collection, plus this is way more (at least MSRP) than I am looking to spend.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Thanks, but I'm not really looking to digitize my CD collection, plus this is way more (at least MSRP) than I am looking to spend.

Your CD collection is digital.

I did also recommended the Yamaha changers though.
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Unless they've fixed the mechanical issues I would cross the Denon changers off your list. They do sound good for the money but chances are the unit will fail in a year. For Denon it would make sense to pick up one of the previous models used, i.e., the DCM-280 or DCM-380. I've heard the Marantz CC4003 changer is more reliable (even though Marantz and Denon or part of D&M holdings). Out of your choices the Yamahas are probably the best options.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
jaymalya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should also consider Marantz CC-4001

jaymalya is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I have used a Yamaha Multi-disc player for 20 years, and it is connected through a coaxial digital output to a Theta Pro Basic 2 D/A converter.

It sounds pretty good, but not as good as my Ayre C5xe/MP player.

If I was in the market for a multi-disc player now, the only one I would consider is the Marantz CCD-4003. It has both coaxial and optical digital outputs, and a wide range of features. You can even hook up up to 5 of them via USB to give you a 10-disc or 25-disc system.

Amazon has it for $400.

Some brands only have the Toslink optical, which sucks IMO.

I would compare the sound using the Marantz's analog outputs to the digital connection. It might be better. It probably WOULD be better than using an optical link.






Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Having struck out on getting a demo Rotel from a dealer, I am still on the hunt for a multi-disc player.

Units I've identified in my price range (either MSRP, currently on sale, or the hope that they go on sale):

- Denon DCM-290
- Denon DCM-390
- Yamaha CDC-697
- Yamaha CDC-600
- Teac PD-D2610
- Sherwood CDC-5090R
- Onkyo DXM 390

I've read reviews on all of these and all seem to be somewhat hit or miss. The Onkyo seems to have the most negative reviews, but the positive ones are really positive.

Because I will be running this through my Yamaha RX-A800 (likely connected digital), it is really more of a transport. Purely on the basis I just need "something", the Teac wins as I can get it the cheapest. But, also want something that hopefully will last me more than a year or 2, which makes me feel like leaning more toward one of the Yamaha units, which are more towards to the top of where I would like to be (unless I could get a great sale).

Looking for comments from owners of any of these units.

Thanks

commsysman is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I have used a Yamaha Multi-disc player for 20 years, and it is connected through a coaxial digital output to a Theta Pro Basic 2 D/A converter.

It sounds pretty good, but not as good as my Ayre C5xe/MP player.

If I was in the market for a multi-disc player now, the only one I would consider is the Marantz CCD-4003. It has both coaxial and optical digital outputs, and a wide range of features. You can even hook up up to 5 of them via USB to give you a 10-disc or 25-disc system.

Amazon has it for $400.

Some brands only have the Toslink optical, which sucks IMO.

I would compare the sound using the Marantz's analog outputs to the digital connection. It might be better. It probably WOULD be better than using an optical link.


Definitely like the looks of that Marantz, but I'm in Canada, and Amazon.com won't ship here. Appears Amazon.ca doesn't have it. I'll add it to my list to keep a look out for, though.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
If you go to

ca.marantz.com

and click on "where to buy" and enter your postal code you will get a dealer listing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Definitely like the looks of that Marantz, but I'm in Canada, and Amazon.com won't ship here. Appears Amazon.ca doesn't have it. I'll add it to my list to keep a look out for, though.

commsysman is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
If you want used, I just listed a Sony CDP-CX 220 on craigslist. $50 plus shipping and its yours! It works fine, I just transferred my collection to NAS and needed room in my rack for another amp.

Nethawk is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well, picked up an older model Yamaha (cdc 585) on EBay for under $50. Pics look pristine. Couldn't quite decide which way I wanted to go and didn't want to put in a lot of money until I did decide.

Opinions seem to be that Yamaha's are durable, so this should get me in the game for a little while. I guess if it's crap, or dies in a couple months, I've only invested $50.

Thinking about possibly going the SONOS route, but not quite there yet, so this will give me some time to decide.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Good find. Enjoy the tunes.
Ovation is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
That is a good one; if it is still working now, it might last a long time.

A decent D/A converter hooked up to its digital output will be a big sonic upgrade on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Well, picked up an older model Yamaha (cdc 585) on EBay for under $50. Pics look pristine. Couldn't quite decide which way I wanted to go and didn't want to put in a lot of money until I did decide.

Opinions seem to be that Yamaha's are durable, so this should get me in the game for a little while. I guess if it's crap, or dies in a couple months, I've only invested $50.

Thinking about possibly going the SONOS route, but not quite there yet, so this will give me some time to decide.

commsysman is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I received it and it is in pristine condition - no remote, though. Tried it out and sounds pretty good.

I'm running it through my Yamaha AVR - isn't that essentially a D/A conversion?

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domino92024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

I received it and it is in pristine condition - no remote, though. Tried it out and sounds pretty good.

Remotes for that player (original or replacement) are readily available. See:

http://remotes.com/remotes/servlet/r...13325645462360
domino92024 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamZX11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You don't need the remote, your Yamaha RX-A800 remote will control Yamaha disc players by default.

If it were me, I'd get a Logitech anyways, I've been using learning remotes since the mid 80's, and will never go back to a pile of remotes on the table.
WilliamZX11 is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Member
 
rayven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

If you want used, I just listed a Sony CDP-CX 220 on craigslist. $50 plus shipping and its yours! It works fine, I just transferred my collection to NAS and needed room in my rack for another amp.

Nethawk, if you still have this changer can advise on the age of this unit, condition, and if you are the original owner?

Thanks!

Yamaha RX3900
JBL Studio 590 7:1
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
rayven is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AC2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

You don't need the remote, your Yamaha RX-A800 remote will control Yamaha disc players by default.

If it were me, I'd get a Logitech anyways, I've been using learning remotes since the mid 80's, and will never go back to a pile of remotes on the table.



yes, I'll probably try without the remote for now and see how it goes. See what the RX-A800 remote limitations might be with the unit (that I would really want to do), and I am looking into getting a Harmony 900 remote for the whole setup in the near future.

Domino92024, thanks for the link, I've checked that site also - but, replacement would cost me $27 + $10 shipping to Canada, and then who knows if they would charge me duty and taxes. I only paid $49 for the unit itself, so probably doesn't make sense to go that route right now.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
AC2011 is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off