I need suggestions with CD players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at the Bose wave but it is too pricey for my budget right now.

Is there any CD players that are very similar to the Bose ?
I want something that has a simple set up and a really smooth bass at a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmartin625 View Post

I want something that has a simple set up and a really smooth bass at a reasonable price.

Define "reasonable." The Marantz CD5004 and CD6004 have very nice bass.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Define "reasonable." The Marantz CD5004 and CD6004 have very nice bass.

Reasonable being under $1000 and I think this is close to what I've been looking for. Do you have any other suggestions ? I want to look at a variety of options before deciding.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just so we understand... You're not looking for a cd player, but something similar to a Bose Wave which is an all-in-one radio, cd player, amplifier, speakers. Honestly, IMHO, a glorified boom box with sound to match...

For $1000, you can get a pretty decent cd player, integrated amp and a pair of speakers that can/will run circles around the Bose

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

Reasonable being under $1000 and I think this is close to what I've been looking for. Do you have any other suggestions ? I want to look at a variety of options before deciding.

Maybe the Cambridge Audio Azur 651C CD player. I almost went with one before going with the Marantz CD6004. Very happy so far.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

So what is your budget? Sometimes, Cambridge Soundworks has specials that bring their prices well below Bose.

Quote:

That's not a CD player. It's a table radio with a built-in CD player. The CD players that have been recommended so far are not what you are looking for. (Note to other commenters: Please read posts carefully before you reply to them.)

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 32
If you have a Blu-ray or DVD player, use it.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post

Just so we understand... You're not looking for a cd player, but something similar to a Bose Wave which is an all-in-one radio, cd player, amplifier, speakers. Honestly, IMHO, a glorified boom box with sound to match...

For $1000, you can get a pretty decent cd player, integrated amp and a pair of speakers that can/will run circles around the Bose

oh I'm sorry for not being so clear.

I'm looking for like an all-in-one sound system, which I'm mainly going to use for listening to CDs and iPods.

Perhaps I'd appreciate it if you could suggest me some speakers in case I decide to just purchase a decent CD player and spend more money on speakers
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

So what is your budget? Sometimes, Cambridge Soundworks has specials that bring their prices well below Bose.

That's not a CD player. It's a table radio with a built-in CD player. The CD players that have been recommended so far are not what you are looking for. (Note to other commenters: Please read posts carefully before you reply to them.)

my budget is around $500-$800.
I like their products but idk, something about their design is kinda off for me
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If you have a Blu-ray or DVD player, use it.

I don't have any of those..
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Honestly, I don't know of a single all-in-one system that's worth having and especially not in that price range. Does it have to be an all-in-one?

The closest I could get would be something like a Denon RCD-N7 and a pair of Paradigm Atom. That should be just about $800, but it will sound really good.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Honestly, I don't know of a single all-in-one system that's worth having and especially not in that price range. Does it have to be an all-in-one?

The closest I could get would be something like a Denon RCD-N7 and a pair of Paradigm Atom. That should be just about $800, but it will sound really good.

That is true. Speakers will always be the killer. Wish that people would quit trying to compare the Bose Wave (overpriced) to other systems. I have only heard one small form factor bookshelf system that blew others away.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Check out Music Direct they are clearing out the Music Hall Trio a receiver,cd player and USB Dac for $699 was $1400. Add some PSB Alpha B-1's you should be set.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was thinking of getting an all-in-one system because my wife listens to music using CDs and I listen to music using my iPod but you know what, forget my wife. I like that set up with the denon and paradigm. I might go check it out tonight thanks dude
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That is true. Speakers will always be the killer. Wish that people would quit trying to compare the Bose Wave (overpriced) to other systems. I have only heard one small form factor bookshelf system that blew others away.

yeah it's just that me and my wife went to the mall and stopped by the bose store and we thought it had great sounds but hearing all the advice, bose is really overpriced.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Check out Music Direct they are clearing out the Music Hall Trio a receiver,cd player and USB Dac for $699 was $1400. Add some PSB Alpha B-1's you should be set.

will do, sir. thanks for the info
Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my budget is around $500-$800.

For that amount of money, you can buy a stereo receiver (look at Sherwood or Onkyo for bargains), a DVD player (any well-known brand name will be fine) to play the CDs, and a decent pair of bookshelf speakers—Infinity, Polk, PSB, Paradigm are among the good ones. This will be way better than any all-in-one unit soundwise.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why not a CD player? It doesn't seem like the OP is looking for a video oriented system and CD players usually have a bit of functionality that is lacking in DVD players (programming track playback, more informative front panel display, etc.). Sound quality is unlikely to be any different but convenience factors could come into play.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Why not a CD player? It doesn't seem like the OP is looking for a video oriented system and CD players usually have a bit of functionality that is lacking in DVD players (programming track playback, more informative front panel display, etc.). Sound quality is unlikely to be any different but convenience factors could come into play.

Yeah this is prolly exactly why my wife wants a CD player lol
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

For that amount of money, you can buy a stereo receiver (look at Sherwood or Onkyo for bargains), a DVD player (any well-known brand name will be fine) to play the CDs, and a decent pair of bookshelf speakersInfinity, Polk, PSB, Paradigm are among the good ones. This will be way better than any all-in-one unit soundwise.

Not looking for a DVD player, we don't own any DVDs.. so I think that'd be a waste to purchase one. I just don't like having lot of stuff lying around in my house so we thought all-in-one unit would be convenient
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._b/?mode=model

This will give you what you want. A friend of mine bought last year's model for his cottage. Much better sound than Bose radio. Much less expensive. It has a CD player, tuner and iPod dock built in.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not looking for a DVD player, we don't own any DVDs.. so I think that'd be a waste to purchase one.

I only suggested it because you're on a tight budget, and DVD players are less expensive than CD players these days.

Quote:

I just don't like having lot of stuff lying around in my house so we thought all-in-one unit would be convenient

In that case, Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo all make nice minisystems like the one Ovation recommended. Check their Web sites, or search for minisystems at places like Crutchfield or J&R.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

Not looking for a DVD player, we don't own any DVDs.. so I think that'd be a waste to purchase one.

If you just want a cheap transport to play the CDs hooked into a receiver digitally, any DVD player will do it just fine, and they're cheaper than dedicated CD players as said.

You're not wasting any money because there isn't anything cheaper. Cheap CD players disappeared when cheap DVD players came around, as where CDs are concerned they do the exact same thing. The CD players you see now are more sophisticated in their disc playback, but you pay for that extra functionality.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._b/?mode=model

This will give you what you want. A friend of mine bought last year's model for his cottage. Much better sound than Bose radio. Much less expensive. It has a CD player, tuner and iPod dock built in.

I really like this product. We're gonna go check it out tonight. Thanks bro !
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

If you just want a cheap transport to play the CDs hooked into a receiver digitally, any DVD player will do it just fine, and they're cheaper than dedicated CD players as said.

You're not wasting any money because there isn't anything cheaper. Cheap CD players disappeared when cheap DVD players came around, as where CDs are concerned they do the exact same thing. The CD players you see now are more sophisticated in their disc playback, but you pay for that extra functionality.

I'm just afraid that we won't be completely satisfied with a DVD player for they don't have the functionality that CD players have..
Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just afraid that we won't be completely satisfied with a DVD player for they don't have the functionality that CD players have.

Depends how much functionality you need. If you just pop a disk in and hit play, they're all you need. If you like reordering tracks or programming just a subset of tracks, they might not let you do that, or it might require you to jump through a lot of menus.

But it sounds like a minisystem may be right for you. Check out the other brands I mentioned above, but that Yamaha looks pretty good.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really like this product. We're gonna go check it out tonight. Thanks bro !

You're welcome. Enjoy the tunes (with whatever model you choose--but this one is pretty good).
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

I'm just afraid that we won't be completely satisfied with a DVD player for they don't have the functionality that CD players have..

As said, the functionality is mostly track order and things like that. Maybe multi-disc capability (though there are one or two DVD players that also provide it.) If you're like me and can just live with hitting "skip" on the player, there are more and cheaper options.

For sound quality and simple disc playback, as long as it's digital when it hits the receiver, there's no tradeoff with a DVD player. It'll perform the same. If that's all you need, hit up a local electronics section and grab a $40 Sony or something DVD player. No need to overspend. Put the rest of your budget into speakers and receiver.

Assuming you don't go the all-in-one route. Those are fine, too, but I always prefer separate components.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
I was just looking at this today; http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/erc2 plays CD's and accommodates MP3, you and the wife!

I saw a review of it on stereophile, even though it tips the scales at 449, it apparently compares to players worth 1500.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 03-14-2012, 07:13 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

I was just looking at this today; http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/erc2 plays CD's and accommodates MP3, you and the wife!

I saw a review of it on stereophile, even though it tips the scales at 449, it apparently compares to players worth 1500.

For just $50 more you can get Oppo 93 which plays almost everything.