Older, quality CD player or digital audio files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd appreciate some suggestions on what direction to go in at this point in my audio journey. Most of my music is on CDs still and I was thinking of buying an older, used, decent quality CD (or DVD/CD combo) player to use for music-only purposes. I would like to keep the cost relatively cheapno more than $150 or so. Is this possible for that price? Another AVS member has mentioned a Denon 2910 DVD/CD/SACD player would be a good buy. Is that a good choice? Other options?

I currently have a Denon 2112ci AVR and use a PS3 for DVD/Bluray/CD watching/listening. I'd like something better than the PS3 for audio-only purposes. I have no problem with getting a combo player, but I don't care about the video qualities of the player and my main focus is on audio playback.

As an alternative to this, would it be better to skip getting a CD player and look into converting my collection to digital media (FLAC files or the like?). I'm not very knowledgeable about the advantages/disadvantages of digital audio, but understand it's best to stay away from compressed music (MP3). If this is the best way to go, where should I start? Please forgive me for my newbieness in this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

there's nothing wrong with what you are using now, and no, a different cd player isn't going to make it "better"...

that being said, yes, a "better"* way is to rip your cd's to a music server of your choice... i'm an apple geek, so i use their solution...

* "better" meaning more convenient...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
IF (and it varies from unit to unit) the OP's PS3 is as noisy as mine, it might be sufficient cause to seek out a CD player. Actual sound quality if connected digitally won't be any different but the absence of fan noise could be worth it (I solved the fan noise issue by placing the PS3 in the next room--it doubles as a game player on the family room TV, via analogue connections, and as my BD/Netflix player, via HDMI, for my HT. Having a bluetooth remote helps make this setup work well.).
post #4 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

fair point...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Thanks for the responses.

I have a newer PS3 slim and sit far enough away from it that the fan sound doesn't bother me. I do have it connected to the 2112ci via HDMI. I do like the PS3 and need to get a better remote as I'm currently using the gaming controller.

I'm surprised that so far, keeping the PS3 is the best option. I was thinking that a high(ish) end player would have better (audio-related) internals. Spending time on this site usually ends up costing me money, so this is a welcome change.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl4004 View Post

Thanks for the responses.

I have a newer PS3 slim and sit far enough away from it that the fan sound doesn't bother me. I do have it connected to the 2112ci via HDMI. I do like the PS3 and need to get a better remote as I'm currently using the gaming controller.

I'm surprised that so far, keeping the PS3 is the best option. I was thinking that a high(ish) end player would have better (audio-related) internals. Spending time on this site usually ends up costing me money, so this is a welcome change.

Get the Bluetooth remote for bd playback. Cost me about 20$. Cheaper than a new player.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page