Marantz CD6004 or Harman Kardon HD990 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear all,

For listening to stereo music, I'm using Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 and Onkyo SR608(zone 2) and really happy with them. The CD transmitter is Pioneer DVD(a bit old one DV-120K). The sound from this DVD is detail but not warm as some CDP that I have auditioned and therefore I'm going to buy a new CDP with a budget from 350-500$. So can you please let me know which of below is the best one:
Marantz CD6004.
Harman Kardon HD990.
Some time I listen to the music from Laptop so the CDP that integrated DAC would be a bit advance than another.
Cheer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxcuongvn View Post

Dear all,

For listening to stereo music, I'm using Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 and Onkyo SR608(zone 2) and really happy with them. The CD transmitter is Pioneer DVD(a bit old one DV-120K). The sound from this DVD is detail but not warm as some CDP that I have auditioned and therefore I'm going to buy a new CDP with a budget from 350-500$. So can you please let me know which of below is the best one:
Marantz CD6004.
Harman Kardon HD990.
Some time I listen to the music from Laptop so the CDP that integrated DAC would be a bit advance than another.
Cheer.

I got a CD6004 a few weeks ago, and am quite pleased. I am using its DAC and analog audio output, and I've got the digital circuitry and display turned off. In addition, I'm using the "analog direct" function of my AVR, which bypasses all signal processing circuits other than the volume control. The CD6004 also has the option to play WP3, WMA, and AAC files through a front panel USB input. A very nice built-in headphone amp with volume control. A very heavy, solidly built player with a 3-year warranty. Totally silent mechanically.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Similarly, I like my 990. I'd try to play with both - neither is a bad choice.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 14
I would like an update, have you had any problems with skipping on your HD990? Seems to be an issue?
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You might be in need of a new laser.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
My HD990 has been great for ~2 years so far.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-12-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

You might be in need of a new laser.

Does replacing the laser solve skipping issues?

Thanks!

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You can try to clean it first - if you smoke inside the house.
Otherwise, is the usual cheap laser going bad. The old CD players have lasers that lasted until now (some 50,000 hours MTBF). In my experience the newer universal DVD/CD players have lasers that might last just a few hundred hours of use.
Heat is the worse enemy. Using the player in an enclosure without ventilation or above a heat-generating device will shorten the life:
Quote:
Thus, a laser diode with a quoted life of 10,000 hours at 25 °C, might only last 125 hours at 55 °C. Not that it will actually fail a 125 hours and 1 second, but its maximum output power will be reduced by 50 percent.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-25-2014, 08:21 AM

From what I have read it is not a laser issue. it seems to be specific for particular discs that are slightly out of round or imbalanced. Seems if you copy the skipping disc onto a CDr the skipping problem goes away for that particular disc. I have an HK990 and love it to pieces, perhaps the best audio buy I have made, for $995.00. I have been looking around for the HD990 player as not only can I use the RLS link to the amp, I can also run the toslink output from my Mac Mini into it and take advantage of the memory storage jitter reduction circuit, sort of like the old Genesis digital lens.. I will still have to use my blu ray player for blu rays and SACD and DVD-A but I am playing more hi rez music off my mini all the time.

Just got an open box from One Call for $350.00. Full one year warranty. There are a lot of complaints about skipping out there, I don't need problems and it is nice to at least hear from somebody who doesn't have this problem. if I have any problems with it i will send it back and not look back. smile.gif It should be a great match for my amp though, and worth a shot.

thanks for your input.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-02-2014, 05:19 AM

I just got my HD990 yesterday, open box, very nice condition, from One Call. comes with one year warranty. Slim styling, almost didn't see the buttons on it, they are not very prominent. somewhat lightweight. All i did was connect the HRS cable to my HK990 and connect the optical output from my Mac Mini to the input on the back. Back panel is somewhat crowded as it also has balanced outputs and coaxial and optical inputs as well as output.

disc mechanism seemed very quiet. either it was the placebo effect or music sounded a little more incisive, deeper soundstage with more midrange inner detail revealed and a little broader soundstage,. Sounds good! heard the same effect with hi rez digital from my mac mini. Nice thing is the display shows the sample rate but not the bit depth.

Very pleased and just hope I don't have the issue with the skipping, good so far.
mpedris likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-04-2014, 05:00 PM

A couple of the reviews have stated the combo of hk990 and hd990 via hrsii link is as good as red book digital gets. I'm kind of thinking yes, certainly as good as I have heard.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page