Best Multi Disc CD Player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best multi disc (at least 3 discs) cd player out there?

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony Disc Explorers are pretty nice units, at least the ones I've owned and used (I've never used the ones that lack a video output - I cannot imagine organizing a 400 disc changer without a display and keyboard). I think the current Sony DE even has Gracenote. I dislike some of the "file type" machines because of how they lock, but some of them are quite competent (Technics made a number of these ranging from 25 to 50 discs), and platter changers seem to have a higher-than-average failure rate (based on anecdotal evidence).

There's also those JVC machines that you might have luck sourcing used, that have a multi-hundred-disc "vault" attached to a single disc "controller" - I've never seen one work improperly, but I don't have much experience with them, especially long-term.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Sony Disc Explorers are pretty nice units, at least the ones I've owned and used (I've never used the ones that lack a video output - I cannot imagine organizing a 400 disc changer without a display and keyboard). I think the current Sony DE even has Gracenote. I dislike some of the "file type" machines because of how they lock, but some of them are quite competent (Technics made a number of these ranging from 25 to 50 discs), and platter changers seem to have a higher-than-average failure rate (based on anecdotal evidence).

There's also those JVC machines that you might have luck sourcing used, that have a multi-hundred-disc "vault" attached to a single disc "controller" - I've never seen one work improperly, but I don't have much experience with them, especially long-term.

Thank you Walbert for those suggestions and comments. I am more looking for a 3-6 disc changer than a large 200-400 changer. So far my short list includes the Marantz CC4003.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #4 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Thank you Walbert for those suggestions and comments. I am more looking for a 3-6 disc changer than a large 200-400 changer. So far my short list includes the Marantz CC4003.

Of the sub-$500 carousel type players, the CC4003 is the cream of the crop, IMO.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yamaha also makes a couple of carousel players with a good reputation for reliability.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

Yamaha also makes a couple of carousel players with a good reputation for reliability.

Those and the Marantz are where I'd look if I was buying brand new. The current Denon offerings I would avoid. I believe Sony actually still makes a 5-disc machine too, might save some bucks with that one.

Otherwise, check fleabay or similar - these types of units aren't all that uncommon used.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I looked closely at the Yamaha CDC-600. Real nice player. I just didn't want to invest that much right now ($299 new in Canada, most places) as this might be a short term investment.

I found a used older model Yamaha (CDC-585) on EBay - paid $49 bucks including shipping. Works beautiful, just no remote.

Also did hear good things about the Marantz units - look beautiful, but again cost was a limiting factor for me right now.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
post #8 of 26 Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

I looked closely at the Yamaha CDC-600. Real nice player. I just didn't want to invest that much right now ($299 new in Canada, most places) as this might be a short term investment.

I found a used older model Yamaha (CDC-585) on EBay - paid $49 bucks including shipping. Works beautiful, just no remote.

Also did hear good things about the Marantz units - look beautiful, but again cost was a limiting factor for me right now.

Thanks guys for all the input, you have been terrific. I think I will keep an eye on fleabay for a CC4003, I really like what I hear and read about that unit and hopefully used I may pick one up for $200 or so if I'm lucky. Thanks again to everyone who replied, I really appreciate your time and feedback, hope everyone has a nice weekend, what's left of it.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #9 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry in advance if I'm hijcacking the thread, but I'm also in the market for a new changer and have added the Marantz to my shortlist, which includes the Yammy CDC-600 and the 5-disc Sony that's available. I'm replacing a Sony 5-disc that died after 12 years.

I know there's a big disparity in price between the Sony and the other two. Big question is, how much, if any, sound quality am I sacrificing by going with the Sony vs. either of the 2 higher-priced models? Is there a significant advantage or disadvantage to any of them in terms of reliability? I've read enough good things about all 3 that would make me comfortable buying any of them.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM512 View Post

Sorry in advance if I'm hijcacking the thread, but I'm also in the market for a new changer and have added the Marantz to my shortlist, which includes the Yammy CDC-600 and the 5-disc Sony that's available. I'm replacing a Sony 5-disc that died after 12 years.

I know there's a big disparity in price between the Sony and the other two. Big question is, how much, if any, sound quality am I sacrificing by going with the Sony vs. either of the 2 higher-priced models? Is there a significant advantage or disadvantage to any of them in terms of reliability? I've read enough good things about all 3 that would make me comfortable buying any of them.

It depends how you connect it to your amp, I suppose.

BTW, the Marantz has a 3-year warranty.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Best multi disc (at least 3 discs) cd player out there?

Denon DCD-360, DCD-480, DCD-595, DCD-685, DCD-1650AR,AZ (anything with Alpha processing and real 20 bit multibit DAC's). Newer multidisc players have cheaper DAC's.
post #12 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you connect digitally there will be no difference as the receiver will do all the work. Via analogue, if in straight two channel, there could be differences.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 10
The 3 year warranty of the Marantz is a big selling point.

I experimented with both analog and optical on my current player, which I bought in 2000, over the years. I have a Pioneer VSX-91TXH, so using optical did sound better than the analog connection. But again, the current player is 12 years old! Re: the Marantz, a common theme to many reviews I've seen is the improvement in sound and quality of music reproduction that people notice.

I guess it'll ultimately come down to how much I want to spend at the end of the day.

I like my CD collection and don't plan on going all-digital any time soon. When I realized my current CD player was done and I started looking at potential replacements it was surprising and disappointing to see how limited the selection of CD players/changers is these days. Pioneer doesn't appear to have updated their players in a decade, the Sony I'm considering is their newest model and that appears to be at least 5 years old (and its the only "current" model they sell). Even the Marantz appears to have been introduced at least 2 years ago.
post #14 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 3 year warranty of the Marantz is a big selling point.

I experimented with both analog and optical on my current player, which I bought in 2000, over the years. I have a Pioneer VSX-91TXH, so using optical did sound better than the analog connection. But again, the current player is 12 years old! Re: the Marantz, a common theme to many reviews I've seen is the improvement in sound and quality of music reproduction that people notice.

I guess it'll ultimately come down to how much I want to spend at the end of the day.

I like my CD collection and don't plan on going all-digital any time soon. When I realized my current CD player was done and I started looking at potential replacements it was surprising and disappointing to see how limited the selection of CD players/changers is these days. Pioneer doesn't appear to have updated their players in a decade, the Sony I'm considering is their newest model and that appears to be at least 5 years old (and its the only "current" model they sell). Even the Marantz appears to have been introduced at least 2 years ago.

What kind of DAC does the Marantz CC4003 have in it? Burr-Brown, Wolfsen, ?

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #15 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovation View Post

if you connect digitally there will be no difference as the receiver will do all the work. Via analogue, if in straight two channel, there could be differences.

+1

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A Cirrus Logic CS4392.
post #17 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

A Cirrus Logic CS4392.

Thank you domino 92024 for that reply and info. How does the Cirrus compare in sound quality to the Burr-Browns and Wolfens?

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #18 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

+1

Via analog, straight 2 channel for CD's only.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #19 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have Burr-Brown in my current HT AVR, Wolfson in my living room AVR (formerly in my HT) and Cirrus in my Cambridge 540D. Each, to my ears, does a fine job, so the Marantz player should prove quite nice if you choose it.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

I have Burr-Brown in my current HT AVR, Wolfson in my living room AVR (formerly in my HT) and Cirrus in my Cambridge 540D. Each, to my ears, does a fine job, so the Marantz player should prove quite nice if you choose it.

Thanks Ovation, I guess I will go with the Marantz. I will keep my eyes open for a nice used one since I am in no hurry. Have a nice evening.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #21 of 26 Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

To you as well. Enjoy the tunes when you get the new player.
post #22 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you domino 92024 for that reply and info. How does the Cirrus compare in sound quality to the Burr-Browns and Wolfens?

Dunno. I like the sound of mine in my CD6004. Marantz uses a Cirrus Logic DAC in its $2K SA-15S2B as well. It's not until their $3K SA-11S2 that they switch to dual NPC DACs.

If you're gonna use the digital interconnect to your AVR, it's really a moot point.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Using the stereo inputs of any AVR leads to another double conversion analog-to-digital (ADC) and then back digital-to-analog (DAC). That is needed to apply the eventual DSP effects in the AVR and is always performed.
That double conversion degrades the signal quality.
Digital SPDIF connections are prone to adding jitter - jitter that is not found in original player. SPDIF clock and data mix, transport and recovery is not perfect.

The only way to listen the true analog output from a CD player is to use as input in AVR the "front L/R" inputs from the "multichannel direct input". That input stays analog all the way to amplifier block. Some will be surprised by the differences between the old multibit DAC sound and the cheap delta-sigma DAC's found in mainstream AVR's.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This doesn't really matter all that much; brand name doesn't indicate performance or features, and even if it somehow did, modern DACs are all basically transparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

Using the stereo inputs of any AVR leads to another double conversion analog-to-digital (ADC) and then back digital-to-analog (DAC). That is needed to apply the eventual DSP effects in the AVR and is always performed.
Digital SPDIF connections are prone to adding jitter - jitter that is not found in original player. SPDIF clock and data mix, transport and recovery is not perfect.

The only way to listen the true analog output from a CD player is to use as input in AVR the "front L/R" inputs from the "multichannel direct input". That input stays analog all the way to amplifier block. Some will be surprised by the differences between the old multibit DAC sound and the cheap delta-sigma DAC's found in mainstream AVR's.

Not quite.

Even with the multi-channel analog inputs, it's likely being digitized - really depends on how the AVR/SSP is put together, it may not have DSP effects applied, but that doesn't mean it isn't digitized. Also, some of the higher end AVRs do run this signal into their DSPs, to apply bass management.

And we've had enough "jitter is the devil" multi-page rants on AVS to cover us for at least a few years; I'm sure you can find one of those threads if you'd like to throw in your opinion.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

I switch off all of the digital circuitry on my CD6004, use its analog output, and use the "Analog Direct" option on my AVR. That uses the DAC and analog circuitry on the CD6004, and just the volume control on the AVR. Sounds great to me.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-03-2012, 01:17 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just purchased a pair of Sony CDP-CX355 300 disc megachangers a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else has this changer and, if so, are you using a keyboard with it? What PS/2 keyboard are you using? Please share your keyboard experiences...

[Apologies for "steering" the thread.]

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page