ART DJ Pre II Phono Preamp, TCC TC-750LC phono Preamp, or BBE FJB-200X Phono Preamp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I couldn't find a forum subforum for turntables and associated gear so I hope I'm in the best forum.

I have a question on these 3 phono preamps.

Every receiver I've ever owned had a built in phono preamp stage but now most receivers don't and I'm just unwilling to put a lot of money in a new HT receiver that would have a built in preamp, being they go obsolete so fast and are really overpriced with their limited input connections compared to receiver only 5 years ago.

Plus having a separate phono preamp wides my selection and helps to future proof me down the road when these may even be hard to come by.

I've read good and bad about all three, but the TCC 750LC seems to be the best for sound quality and the level control sweetens that by boosting levels up so that the phono isn't like 12db lower in volume than other sources like I have had on my previous receivers. BUT if the BBE is good, I will still consider it.

I can get all 3 phono preamps for about $50 so price isn't a concern, just performance. My main concern is input sensitivity so that I can get a 200 mv output signal which is the input sensitivity of most audio receivers. I would like to have at least a 2.5mv input sensitivity but I can deal with a 3.0mv. Some cheaper phono preamps have a poor 5.5mv which would not amplify my phono's output enough.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-25-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I won't need any of these. I decided to just stick with my Denon AVR-3803. I can't find a 'true' HT receiver at any price up to $1000 that actually functions as an "AUDIO" and video receiver. They are now basically just HDMI switchers with little to no functionality for CD Recorders, Turntables, VCRs or even DVD-Recorders, let alone my dual cassette deck. The funny thing is that they are only truely compatible with are one type of equipment that was designed to use HDMI as it's primary audio/video connection, a bluray player. I can also use my HD Cable box DVR, but being compatible with only 2 pieces of equipment does not make it a true HT A/V receiver. That even low as when my DVR fills up, I need to use my DVD Recorder (or a VCR) to take over so the DVR needs analog audio/video compatibility functionality as well.

So if and when the industry starts making Home Theater A/V receivers again, I may look again. I was all set to purchase an Onkyo TX-NR609 but have found way to many reliability complaints or functionality problem complaints with this receiver as well as the TX-NR709. Unfortunate as these are the only upper end receivers that offer these inputs. Pioneer's lower end VSX-1021 also offers good inputs but others fall short for connection compatibility with none HDMI equipment.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well I did buy a receiver after all. I bought a Denon AVR-2312ci which sounds just awesome and isn't the downgrade in SQ I thought it would be. It may not be the powerhouse that the AVR-3803 is but it's SQ is just as good.

I did buy the Art Artcessories DJPRE II Phono Preamp. I played around with buying a Technolink preamp and while a good preamp, I felt it didn't have as solid backing as a US made product by a large and popular audio company as ART. I also found some really good reviews about it. Never a negative as I did with some of the technolink phono preamps.

With 45 db of gain, a rated +/-.5db frequency response, and a rated over 90db signal to noise ratio, there was nothing I didn't like.

Hope it sounds as good as I'm hoping.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I hope you like what you have, but I will throw in my 2 cents worth anyway...lol.

I have heard many of the phono preamps out there, and have 2 systems at 2 homes.

One uses the Audio Research PH-5 phono preamp, which used to list for $2000 (but I got a big discount on it), and the other uses the Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp.

The Audio Research has a remote control and a lot of settings you can adjust, but the V-LPS sounds just as good.

It costs around $150, and it is excellent; highly recommended.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Tags
Tcc Tc 750lc Black Professional Moving Magnet Preamp , Bbe Fjb 200x Phono Preamp
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page