Convert CD's to some other form of playback cannot find decent CD player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone advise another way to playback CD music on home system. It seems that CD players are obsolete? Any helpful advise /comments will be greatly appreciated:confused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Use a DVD player.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 12 Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle village View Post

Can anyone advise another way to playback CD music on home system. It seems that CD players are obsolete? Any helpful advise /comments will be greatly appreciated:confused:

There are many CD players still in production. If you want one there are more than a few to choose from.

B.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i ripped some of my fav cds to my windows pc & dlna to play them back on my avr, i also bought a dedicated cdp, emotiva erc-2. biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #5 of 12 Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There are still MANY CD players to choose from.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #6 of 12 Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 324
There are still a few affordable CD players around. Check out Amazon. The Yamaha changers are well reviewed. If you want a single disc player the Marantz 5004 is a decent budget choice. As Mcnarus already mentioned you could simply pick up a cheap DVD player and use the coaxial or optical input. Even another option is to get the Oppo 93 for blu-ray, DVD, SACD, and streaming audio for a decent all-around player.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #7 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 AM

Liked: 11
Their are Hundreds of good CDplayers around.What planet are you from. The new Rega apollo is killer'Cambridge'Marantz' Rotel' just to name a few'plus many high ends one's.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
ANY Blu Ray player will play CD just fine. That is why there are very few dedicated CD players left.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

ANY Blu Ray player will play CD just fine. That is why there are very few dedicated CD players left.

Thanks ap1, That explains a lot! "That is why there are very few dedicated CD players left"

In light of the fact that I haven't kept up on the latest equipment out there I was also thinking maybe there was another way to record many CD's on a different format and then play them back as opposed to using a dedicated multi Disc player?
I was content using my Pioneer PD-M650 6 Disc magazine changer until it stopped working, I wish I could just get it repaired!
post #10 of 12 Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
The multi-disk aspect of CD players might be harder to find now (especially if you also wanted DVD playback), but just about everything else a CD player does has been carried over into DVD and Blu-ray players. Popping in a disk and playing back with fidelity never went away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle village View Post

In light of the fact that I haven't kept up on the latest equipment out there I was also thinking maybe there was another way to record many CD's on a different format and then play them back as opposed to using a dedicated multi Disc player?

That's probably best done with a computer or music server. Rip them to lossless and stream them to content streamers (even some Blu-ray players.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I don't think BDP's ability to play CDs explains 'a lot' why there are fewer (I won't say very few) CDPs any more. CDPs came out in the early 80s, DVDPs late 90s and if the same argument applies then CDPs would begin to decline then. It probably is to do with the decline in CD sale in general in the last few years and the increase in downloads, and the increase popularity of portable players and lossy formats.

If you walk into a chain store you won't find a CDP any more so you might be excused for thinking CDPs are obsolete. That may be largely true for the mass market affordable Japanese brands but not true for the higher-end and many British brands. Sony and Pioneer for example have dedicated 2ch CD/SACD players. Audiolab has upsampling CDP plus pre-amp, another with DAC (with choice of filters), Arcam has a CD/SACD player, Cambridge Audio just released two new upsampling CDPs and last but not least Meridian's 16k+ upsampling CDP with apodising filter.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
No, CD Players are not dead. There are still plenty of dedicated 2-channel CD players around (with and without SACD capabilities), and are alive and well with many 2-channel stereo enthusiasts. Most are targeted towards the mid to high-end market. I believe this is due to the overwhelming prevalence of low-priced universal Blu-Ray And DVD players which all are capable of respectable CD playback.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page