Philips CD recorder/p;ayer CDR 200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-18-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was a GREAT player until today. I bought in in 2000. Made a million CD's with it. Now it needs to be fixed because it has stopped copying. Where can i take it in Las Vegas? The Philips guide I have is outdated and I have no information where to send it. When I put a blank in on the left to copy, it won't pick up and when I put a new one in. the register tells me I already taped 77 minutes on the disc These are blank discs. I made nine CD's tonight and now all of a sudden nothing works. I turned it off and played it again and I get the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel View Post

This was a GREAT player until today. I bought in in 2000. Made a million CD's with it. Now it needs to be fixed because it has stopped copying. Where can i take it in Las Vegas? The Philips guide I have is outdated and I have no information where to send it. When I put a blank in on the left to copy, it won't pick up and when I put a new one in. the register tells me I already taped 77 minutes on the disc These are blank discs. I made nine CD's tonight and now all of a sudden nothing works. I turned it off and played it again and I get the same thing.

This forum is for DVD recorders, not CD recorders.

Sorry.

Maybe people in another forum can help you?

This link is to a form here on DVD players, but maybe they can help?
http://www.avsforum.com/f/153/cd-players-dedicated-music-transports
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
What gastrof said.

And in any event, I could almost guarantee you will not find it cost effective, if at all possible, to get a 12 yr old piece of electronics fixed.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

The machine I have is a Phillips CD recorder that records one CD onto another. The right side is where you place the original or store bought CD and the left side is where you place the blank CD you want to copy onto. The model is the CDR 200 . In the past, all I had to do was press DUBB and the right CD would copy onto the blank CD on the left. When it is finished, you press a button that says Finalize. Well, all of a sudden, the discs will not finalize. I noticed a couple weeks ago I would have to insert a new disc, or shut the machine off and try again later, and then it would work. So I know there is something breaking down in the unit itself. I was just wondering if this machine can still be fixed. The Phillips CDR only recoreds CD-R discs. I always used Maxell, never have had a problem. I have copied well over 5000 discs since 2000.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel View Post

The Phillips CDR only recoreds CD-R discs. I always used Maxell, never have had a problem. I have copied well over 5000 discs since 2000.

Well, that is most likely your problem: the unit is on its last legs. They were never intended to last that long or burn that many discs: you were remarkably lucky in how durable yours was. Its is not repairable: the parts were discontinued five years ago, and even then repairs may not have been possible since this type of dual-drawer recorder had long since fallen out of favor. Like some types of DVD recorder, the standalone CD recorder had a very brief window of popularity before most consumers decided it was much cheaper and more flexible to make CDs in their computer. One of the biggest complaints against units like yours was they required a special "music" blank CD-R which was harder to find and more expensive than computer CD-Rs. So they died off, and no reasonable replacement models have been available for several years now.

There is a VERY small chance you might be able to fix it yourself. You would need to open it up, and look at the two drives inside. If the broken drive is "open," with no casing around it to hide the mechanism, its a proprietary part, which means forget fixing it. If the broken drive is a sealed box that looks a lot like the drives one would put in a PC, you could try taking it out and replacing it with a PC drive. (Such an old recorder would need an ATAPI-connected drive, not the newer SATA-connected drives.) Odds are this still wouldn't work, but its worth a try. You could also try switching to a completely different brand of disc: perhaps Maxell has updated its dye formula to something your Philips can't finalize.

But most likely, the thing is dying of old age and you will need to adjust to how people work with CD-R in 2012. It really isn't that much more difficult than a dual deck recorder: you turn on the CD software in the computer, pop the source CD into your PC and click "copy all tracks" or "copy these specific tracks." This takes all of five minutes, then you replace the source CD with a blank CD-R and it burns it and finalizes it within a couple minutes. You would need to learn how to use the copying software on the PC, but most of these are fairly straightforward. Two advantages of PC copying are you can use a wide variety of ordinary blank CD-R available in any store, and you can easily make and re-arrange compilation CDs from multiple source CDs. Also, you can make CD tracks from MP3s.

If you like to gamble, you could try buying another used dual-tray recorder from eBay or Craigs List. But this is usually a bad idea: most dual decks are several years old and the most recent were very cheaply made. Because of high demand, sellers are asking outrageous prices. You could get lucky, and find a good unit for a good price, but it may take some hunting. Adapting to the modern way of using the PC for CD copying makes more sense over the long haul.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
there are some on e-bay for as low as 150.00. I own a DN-C550R MADE by DENON nice recorder, pro model with digital inputs and copy protection settings it will copy any disc perfectly.

MickinCT
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, My Philips CD Recorder actually works!!! I figured out that not all CD's can be copied. There are a very select few that have macrovision over them. You can copy them, just not finalize them. I just copied ten more CD's and finalized them and they work fine. THANK GOD I didn't buy another player.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page