Bryston BDP-1 Media Player VS Logitech Squeezebox touch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now the price difference is quite massive $300 vs $2000. I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the differences between the two and if the one is worth the extra money? I will be running them into a Bryston sp3 Surround Processor which has a very good DAC. Both seem to get good reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
The only real difference is likely to be in features and usability. Certainly not sound quality, esp. if you are using the same DAC with both.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Every time I see the BDP-1 I still can't understand why you need a $2000 device that does the same thing as $100 worth of computer parts (or ever less) or other devices costing not much more. It takes a digital music file in some format, decodes it, and outputs it on USB. Not a lot of rocket science needed.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I was wondering. It doesn't make a lot of sense. The only real difference I see is the Bryston supports 24bit/96kHz and the Bryston does 24bit/196kHz I believe. From what I've read the 24bit is far more important then the kHz value.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Neither one will let you do more than 2 channels, which is something that a $100 Netgear NTV550, $200 Popcorn Hour, or $300 Dune Smart Player will do. All 3 that I mentioned can do 192khz/24bit/8 Channels!!!!!! All 3 that I mentioned also have coverart jukebox style interfaces that can stream via ethernet using SMB or NFS. All 3 will even stream blu-ray video too! The Dune has been available for almost 4 years now.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Logitech Media Server does have an option to use as a DLNA server, so I can pick up the multi-channel recordings from my Oppo. The ipeng ipad app for the Squeezebox is really useful.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Neither one will let you do more than 2 channels, which is something that a $100 Netgear NTV550, $200 Popcorn Hour, or $300 Dune Smart Player will do. All 3 that I mentioned can do 192khz/24bit/8 Channels!!!!!! All 3 that I mentioned also have coverart jukebox style interfaces that can stream via ethernet using SMB or NFS. All 3 will even stream blu-ray video too! The Dune has been available for almost 4 years now.

The problem with those players is they may have to many features and probably not focussing on sound quality which is of the utmost importance for what I am looking for. Video features are not as important.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Liked: 12
OP, I don't want to hijack the thread, I am in the same boat but was comparing Touch vs Denon DNP720AE. Denon supports 24-bit, 192 kHz D/A but has little more features. I know generally separates are considered better compared to integrated systems. Have you considered the Denon?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post

The problem with those players is they may have to many features and probably not focussing on sound quality which is of the utmost importance for what I am looking for. Video features are not as important.

Since they are not doing any digital to analog conversions, all bits are just passed along from your storage location to your processor/avr/dac. The bits are bits.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kinney View Post

So ignore them. The presence of unneeded features does not in any way diminish the quality of the features you use.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One option I'm looking at is ( as in popcorn ) it has it own CPU, you don't need your computer left on all the time. Can anyone tell me if the Popcorn models ( A-300 ) due a complete scan of your files each time it's powered on? I'm currently using external HD via computer to Sony S-570 blu-ray player to HT system. No cover art, everything alphabetical, takes some time, no playlist. Thinking of logitech as music is paramount, suggestions?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page