DSP filters make some CD players sound better than others? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There is a neverending debate about cheap vs expensive CD players and their contribution to sound quality. One group swears there is no difference in sound quality between a cheap and an expensive CD player. The other group swears there are major sound quality differences between cheap and expensive CD players.

I'm not here to debate this. But I believe that all CD players sound the same when they output a digital signal to a receiver/prepro is considered fact because digital is digital and there are no conversion errors or errors of any sort.

I thought that was true until I bought my Blu Ray player, the LG BD640C.

My system consists of a Denon AVR-1712 and a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors

My CDs sounded noticeably better on my LG Blu Ray player, and my audio has been set to HDMI passthrough (which supposedly should be sending the original track's data to the receiver without any change).

I compared the CD sound quality to my HTPC and my Xbox 360 and they both sounded worse than the LG. The HTPC and the 360 sounded identical. Since Windows Media Player on my HTPC decodes HDCD, it can't be because of the sonic improvements of HDCD.

I can only attribute this result as a filter in the Blu Ray player enhancing the sound (in a pleasant way actually) to explain the difference in sound quality.

Is it possible that people say the uber expensive CD players sound better than cheap CD players are not experiencing the placebo effect but are actually hearing differences because the CD player is using a filter on the sound to enhance it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

there's a far simpler explanation for the "difference"... the levels are different...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
there's a far simpler explanation for the "difference"... the levels are different...

Actually, I've tried "anti-leveling" where I made my Blu ray player's volume less than my HTPC and 360. The Blu-ray player still sounds better.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Actually, I've tried "anti-leveling" where I made my Blu ray player's volume less than my HTPC and 360. The Blu-ray player still sounds better.
But at this point, having determined that the Blu-Ray player sounds better once, that's going to influence all of your subsequent listening.

This is why blind testing is so necessary.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

But at this point, having determined that the Blu-Ray player sounds better once, that's going to influence all of your subsequent listening.

Unfortunately blind testing isn't that easy to do when different equipments are involved (unlike ABX'ing with MP3 and FLAC). However, I do believe I can score very well on a blind test. I noticed this because I actually thought "wait, my music sounds way too good" and that led me to do an A/B test where I found the differences. I found the biggest difference in saxophone music (Kenny G). With vocals it isn't as obvious.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerFE View Post

Unfortunately blind testing isn't that easy to do when different equipments are involved (unlike ABX'ing with MP3 and FLAC). However, I do believe I can score very well on a blind test. I noticed this because I actually thought "wait, my music sounds way too good" and that led me to do an A/B test where I found the differences. I found the biggest difference in saxophone music (Kenny G). With vocals it isn't as obvious.
And I believe I can fly.

Sheesh.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #7 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

whether it's easy or not doesn't change the requirements...

the point of testing isn't to "score very well"... it's not a "competition"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #8 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

And I believe I can fly.

Sheesh.

http://www.redbullflugtagusa.com/indexi.php

- chris

post #9 of 9 Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Bravery points for mentioning Kenny G in a non-punchline context. tongue.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page