Digital media player - component type - AVS Forum
CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > Digital media player - component type
pburgh's Avatar pburgh 06:36 AM 08-29-2012
I've got a pretty good assortment of components in my home theater... but I'm wondering if a component-style digital media player exists. Why? Because I want to replace my 60-disc CD players with one box to hold all my ripped CDs.

I have an HTPC with all my CDs ripped, but I want something that can be operated independently of that... it's a pain to turn on the tv to control itunes, or the PC is asleep, etc.

Ideally, there would be a little box in my rack that has a hard disk in it. All my music would be there. On the front of the box would be an LCD that shows me my albums, tracks, etc.

Yes, an iPod with dock would do this too. I have too much music for the iPod though (especially in lossless compression).

Does something like this exist?

ap1's Avatar ap1 07:48 AM 08-29-2012
Squezeebox touch. Control either from front touch panel, or (better) from smartphone/tablet.
pburgh's Avatar pburgh 08:15 AM 08-29-2012
Wouldn't the Squeezebox require my HTPC to be on? There are times when the HTPC is sleeping and I'd rather not have to wake it up to play music.

I'm looking for something that can operate on its own. Essentially replacing the two 60-disc CD players I have. It would also, indirectly, act as a second backup of my ripped music.
ap1's Avatar ap1 06:02 AM 08-31-2012
Squezeebox device can host its own library. Just attach external disk to it. But is more useful to have separate storage for media files. Some NAS devices from Netgear and other vendors can be used if you do not want to have a dedicated computer.
telemike's Avatar telemike 06:10 AM 08-31-2012
I would love to find a stand-alone device that i can plug a USB HDD into. It needs analog RCA out, a small LCD screen for navigation and a remote. I would use a WD-TV but i would need a small TV to navigate it frown.gif
pburgh's Avatar pburgh 08:47 AM 09-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemike View Post

I would love to find a stand-alone device that i can plug a USB HDD into. It needs analog RCA out, a small LCD screen for navigation and a remote. I would use a WD-TV but i would need a small TV to navigate it frown.gif

It sounds like the item recommended in reply #1 would work for you.
acebreathe's Avatar acebreathe 03:07 AM 09-09-2012
FYI see new thread about entire Squeezebox line being discontinued.
rishitiw's Avatar rishitiw 11:10 PM 10-25-2012
Vortexbox appliance? Comes with a CD ripper, 1/2/4 TB HDD and loaded with SB media player s/w. However, I believe it works only with a USB DAC or with a networked solution.
Up
Mobile  Desktop