How to play itunes wirelessly from ipod touch or ipad to a home stereo without internet or cell phone service? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to set up my house to play itunes from either an ipod touch or ipad (I don't have either one yet) wirelessly. I don't want to have to use an internet conection or a cell phone; in other words, I don't want to have any monthly service charge in order to make this happen.

What do I need in order to sit on my couch or deck and select songs from my play list (from an ipod/pad), and control the TV as well? I realized I will probably have to purchase new stereo equipement and either an ipod touch or an ipad. I'm building a new house so I need to figure it out now.

Thanks for the help,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
I want to set up my house to play itunes from either an ipod touch or ipad (I don't have either one yet) wirelessly. I don't want to have to use an internet conection or a cell phone; in other words, I don't want to have any monthly service charge in order to make this happen.
I believe Apple's Airplay feature allows you to do this.
Quote:
What do I need in order to sit on my couch or deck and select songs from my play list (from an ipod/pad), and control the TV as well?
You're playing music. What does controlling a TV have to do with it?

As for what you need, there is gear out there that's Airplay-enabled. Or you can use an AppleTV or Airport Express connected to an audio system.
Quote:
I realized I will probably have to purchase new stereo equipement and either an ipod touch or an ipad. I'm building a new house so I need to figure it out now.
Unless you want to do in-wall wiring for speakers, you don't have to decide this before you move in. The next questions are, what kind of a system do you want, and what's your budget?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul36752 View Post

Sorry for the bad news but it is not possible without internet. Airplay works only if your receiver or streaming device or even a computer with itunes are connected to the same network as your ipod touch.

The only way to play your music on your itunes without having internet is if you buy an Apple TV and connect it to your stereo or have a computer connected to your receiver (audio only to receiver is fine as long as you have a monitor connected to the PC as well).
post #4 of 13 Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for the bad news but it is not possible without internet.
Uh, no. It's not possible without WiFi. That's not the same as Internet.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. So if I need wi-fi can I do that without an internet conection? I do plan to have an internet conection but I'm just not that computer savy to know how all the wireless stuff works; that's what I'm trying to learn now. I'm not going to have a smart phone but I do plan to buy either an ipod or ipad. Would it be easier to just run some wire from the location of my stereo to the spots I want to plug in the ipod? As far as controling the TV, I'd like to be able to do it all on one remote devise, but it's not a mission stopper if I have a seperate remote for the TV.

Thanks again,
Paul
post #6 of 13 Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You said you didn't want a monthly charge. You can't have Internet without paying a monthly charge to either your phone company or your cable company.

Yes, just about any audio system/device will allow you to connect an iPod via wire. (And just out of curiosity, how were you planning to get music onto this iPod?)

All TVs come with a remote. Use that.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am in the process of putting my music library on itunes on my computer. I do have internet access now from a cable, when Imove I will have to get internet over a phone line and I'm not real sure the quality will be very good that's why I would like an alternate plan to operate my non-computer stuff. It may be that the internet conection is good and it's not a hassel to have wi-fi throughout my house, but I don't konw if that will be the case and I'm not clear on how to set up the wi-fi system once I do have the phone cable internet.

It sounds like the two options are 1. Hard wire everything, or 2. Have wi-fi or AirPlay. Is that what you think? And what's the difference between wi-fi and AirPlay?

As far as my budget for equipment, I will probably buy a Yamaha receiver with whatever it needs to have already on it and I'm not planning to pay more than about $600 for that unit. As far as the rest of the peripheral items that I'll hve to have, I'll just have to do what I have to do as long as it's not going to cost a whole lot more than running wire.

Thanks again,
Paul
post #8 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If there's a headphone output, you can use a low-power FM transmitter to send audio to the FM receiver.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #9 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am in the process of putting my music library on itunes on my computer. I do have internet access now from a cable, when Imove I will have to get internet over a phone line and I'm not real sure the quality will be very good that's why I would like an alternate plan to operate my non-computer stuff. It may be that the internet conection is good and it's not a hassel to have wi-fi throughout my house, but I don't konw if that will be the case and I'm not clear on how to set up the wi-fi system once I do have the phone cable internet.
Your Internet service has absolutely nothing to do with your WiFi network. They are two separate things.
Quote:
It sounds like the two options are 1. Hard wire everything, or 2. Have wi-fi or AirPlay. Is that what you think? And what's the difference between wi-fi and AirPlay?
Yes, wired or wireless. Airplay is just Apple's name for serving music over a WiFi network.
Quote:
As far as my budget for equipment, I will probably buy a Yamaha receiver with whatever it needs to have already on it and I'm not planning to pay more than about $600 for that unit. As far as the rest of the peripheral items that I'll hve to have, I'll just have to do what I have to do as long as it's not going to cost a whole lot more than running wire.
How does a guy who claims to know nothing (and probably deserves some credit for self-awareness on that point!) nonetheless know exactly what brand (but not model!) of receiver he wants? FWIW, you should worry about speakers first. $600 may be an absurd amount of money to spend on a receiver, depending on what your overall budget is.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the response. I don't think I claimed to know nothing other than how the wireless configuration needs to be put together. As far as the Yamaha receiver, I've done some preliminary research on that and there are two models that have AirPlay, the more expensive of the two is $599 (all of my current stereo equipment is Yamaha so I checked that out first). While reading the specs of the various stereo equipment I haven't found any that come right out and say you need additional equipment that is not contained herein. It almost seems like they are beating around the bush. In fact after all these posts I still don't know much more about how to configure a wireless system than I did prior. I do appreciate know that AirPlay is intended to be used in conjunction with Wi-Fi; that's a start.

Thanks again,
Paul
post #11 of 13 Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul36752 View Post

In fact after all these posts I still don't know much more about how to configure a wireless system than I did prior.

Paul-when I ordered internet service from the cable company I told them I wanted WiFi/wireless throughout the house. They brought the necessary hardware and quickly set it all up for me. After a while I decided I wanted to stream music and pictures through my main system so I bought an Apple TV for $99 and easily set it up myself.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Does that allow you to operate your stereo stystem with an ipod or i pad?

Paul
post #13 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Yes, I believe there's an app available that would allow me to operate my Denon AVR via iPad/iPod, but I choose to use a Harmony universal remote instead.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page