Opus 4 Story - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my Opus 4 story:

A couple of weeks ago I started hearing the infamous hard-drive clicking sound when starting up my Opus 4 and of course eventually it stopped booting.

After talking to Olive support I eventually got an email stating that they no longer serviced the Opus 4 and that they would allow me to buy a new OHHD for about $1750.

I know it is the hard-drive because a computer shop removed it an confirmed that it is indeed dead.

I have owned the Opus 4 for about 3 years and now for want of a $90 hard-drive I now posses a $1750 aluminum door-stop. I'll never forgive Olive for abandoning me for what I am sure is an easy fix.

Not being inclined to give them another $1750 for something that might very well be abandoned by them in a few years and having no use for an additional door stop I did the following:

I bought a Logitech Squeezebox Touch and a Nexus 7 tablet on which is installed the Squeezebox software which I use as a superb remote. I'm using a older laptop to control the hard-drive where all my music is stored. Yes, I am a faithful backerupper so all of the music that was on the Olive is now on a hard-drive which is kept in a closet for sound management. About a year ago I bought an Onkyo Pre-Amp that has digital inputs so all of the output from the Squeezebox if translated into music by this amp.

The best part is using my Pandora Account on the Squeezbox program! Also I have “Tune in Radio” and a BBC apps for the Nexus so the variety of music if fantastic.

Love this setup more than the Olive though of course it is not as simple as the Olive but when the hard-drive fails I can easily replace it with anything of my choosing and of course laptops are ubiquitous and small tablets are flooding the market. I spent about $470 for this outfit and as you can read I am very pleased.

PS: the Opus 4 is for sale on ebay. It is still dead.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page