Better DAC? Cirrus Logic CS42528 or Burr-Brown PCM5102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is a better sounding multi channel DAC between Cirrus Logic CS42528 or Burr-Brown PCM5102? My HK 3600 receiver has the Cirrus Logic CS42528 and a higher end blu ray player has the Burr-Brown PCM5102 for analog outs. If they are comparable then I can save money on buy a lower model blu ray player and use the DAC in the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
What is a better sounding multi channel DAC between Cirrus Logic CS42528 or Burr-Brown PCM5102?
Neither.
Quote:
If they are comparable then I can save money on buy a lower model blu ray player and use the DAC in the receiver.
In all likelihood, many of the features of your AVR work in the digital domain. Therefore, the AVR will have to redigitize any analog signal fed to it,* which means you'll be using the AVR's DAC no matter what. So you might as well use only the AVR's DAC, whatever BRP you buy.

There's often a bypass to this, but it bypasses those AVR features as well.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 View Post

What is a better sounding multi channel DAC between Cirrus Logic CS42528 or Burr-Brown PCM5102? My HK 3600 receiver has the Cirrus Logic CS42528 and a higher end blu ray player has the Burr-Brown PCM5102 for analog outs. If they are comparable then I can save money on buy a lower model blu ray player and use the DAC in the receiver.

cirrus-logic-cs42528

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS42528_F1.pdf

Cirrus-logic-cs42528
114 dB, 192 kHz 8-Ch Codec with S/PDIF Receiver
Features
Eight 24-bit D/A, two 24-bit A/D Converters
114 dB DAC / 114 dB ADC Dynamic Range
-100 dB THD+N

burr-brown-pcm5102

http://www.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?genericPartNumber=pcm5102&fileType=pdf

112dB Audio Stereo DAC
SNR 112 / 106 / 100dB
Dynamic Range 112 / 106 / 100dB
THD+N @ - 1dBFS –93 / –92 / –90dB

IME DAC suppliers don't lie too much about their products because their customers generally have the equipment to confirm or deny any specs they provide.

That all said, the Cirrus part seems to be generally superior, but not enough so that it would be audible.

I always favor leaving signals in the digital domain as close to the speaker terminals as possible, and that generally means buying a simple digital player with just digital outs and doing the conversion in the AVR. In many cases the AVR lacks a useful signal path that avoids its DACs, so you are stuck when them anyways. Most AVRs seem to have converters that are as good if not better than its amplifiers, anyhow so its not the DACs that set its performance limits anyway.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page