NAKAMICHI DRAGON CD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Nakamichi Dragon CD player which I did not play very often but when I did it sounded and played just fine. It now makes a sqeal sound and reads no disc on the display screen. I had it looked at by a technician to try and determine the issue with the player. I was told that the laser pickup was bad and needed to be replaced! I have 2 questions; Can anyone tell me if any other Nakamichi CD players (other than the Dragon CD) utilize the same laser pickup as this rare Dragon CD? Also, can anyone recommend a recognized expert who is competent working on these CD players? I have owned serveral high end Nakamichi cassette decks and service on them was very expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if any other Nakamichi CD players (other than the Dragon CD) utilize the same laser pickup as this rare Dragon CD?
It's likely that quite a few CD players made by quite a few companies used the same laser pickup. That's kinda how the audio industry works.
Quote:
Also, can anyone recommend a recognized expert who is competent working on these CD players? I have owned serveral high end Nakamichi cassette decks and service on them was very expensive.
No, but I can recommend that you not bother to get this repaired. Digital disk players today are a commodity item. Buying something new will be much cheaper and just as good.

If you still use cassettes, paying good money to repair a Nakamichi makes sense. (Digitizing your tapes would make more sense, however.) CD players, not so much.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
i want so badly for mcnarus to be wrong...but he rarely is
post #4 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Yes, it's sad when a prized piece of gear fails, especially when its of such a high quality. Some things just don't age well and one of them is mechanical transports.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
^^^

yeah...that too

but i just want mcnarus to be wrong, generally speaking...

wink.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response and advise but I would like to get this Dragon CD working despite the amount of actual usage of the machine. I guess that I am somewhat nostalgic and have a profound appreciation for the design and function of the piece. Any additional sugestions would be great! I don't plan on abandoning the CD Player.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Fair enough. In that case, your local repair shop is probably quite capable of repairing it. CD player repair is not rocket science.

post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your candid response regarding using my local CD repair shop. I figured that would be one of the least expensive options for a player that is not used frequently. However, being an amatuer regarding this matter I wanted to hear all the options from the more experienced members. I also figured that I would need to find a comparable laser pickup for the Dragon CD. Given the rarity and age of the unit, I would assume that parts are hard to come by. Therefore a pickup from another Nak deck would be appropriate but I which need to know which one would be most comparable.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I also figured that I would need to find a comparable laser pickup for the Dragon CD.
The laser pickup is probably a generic part. That's why your local guy will have no trouble handling the repair.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I took the unit to a high end audio repair company and they quoted in excess of $700 to replace the laser pickup. Thought that it was pretty costly for the job. I will simply take it in and see what a local CD repair service company recommends.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page