A few turntable questions from an amatuer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really want to get into vinyl and strongly considering an entry level turntable like the Audio-Technica AT-LP60. Just a few questions before pulling the trigger.

1. My reciever has a phono input, so I'm set there. My particular receiver has a 2 ch "analog direct" mode. No extra processing, just amplification of the sound. Am I correct in assuming that this is the setting I would want to listen to records to? No D/A conversion etc etc

2. Unfortunately the AT-LP60s cartridge can't be upgraded. I have read that the needle could be though. Not 100% clear on that subject though. I see various articles on people upgrading their cartridges. So any knowledgeable clarification on that would be appreciated.

3. While listening with "2 ch analog direct" enabled, my receivers EQ wont function. is there anyway to be able to EQ in the analog domain? Or is analog meant to be listened to 'flat"

4.Pretty sure the AT-LP60 is what I'm going to get. However, if anyone has a suggestion about something in the 100$ range that they think would be better, please feel free to suggest. I know at this price point, there arent a whole lot of options.

Thanks in advance for any help, its much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134

1.  Yup.

2.  You can upgrade/replace the cartridge. 

3.  The EQ is probably digital and that's why you cannot use it in the analog domain.

4.  For $100, there's nothing better new.  Used is another story.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

1.  Yup.
2.  You can upgrade/replace the cartridge. 
3.  The EQ is probably digital and that's why you cannot use it in the analog domain.
4.  For $100, there's nothing better new.  Used is another story.

Thank you for taking the time to respond sir. You mentioned used. Other then ebay, do you know of a reputable place to buy a used turntable?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Being your new to vinyl and you have a short budget I would go w/the new TT. Less problems w/a warranty. Used can be a slippery slope especially if you don't know what to look for.smile.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post

Thank you for taking the time to respond sir. You mentioned used. Other then ebay, do you know of a reputable place to buy a used turntable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Being your new to vinyl and you have a short budget I would go w/the new TT. Less problems w/a warranty. Used can be a slippery slope especially if you don't know what to look for.smile.gif

Good point.  Perhaps it might be best to get the AT now and learn about setup and upgrades and, in the future, you can use that knowledge to choose better.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
1. My reciever has a phono input, so I'm set there. My particular receiver has a 2 ch "analog direct" mode. No extra processing, just amplification of the sound. Am I correct in assuming that this is the setting I would want to listen to records to? No D/A conversion etc etc
Not necessarily. If you are using room correction, for example, there's no reason you'd need to turn it off for analog listening. Try it both ways.
Quote:
2. Unfortunately the AT-LP60s cartridge can't be upgraded. I have read that the needle could be though. Not 100% clear on that subject though. I see various articles on people upgrading their cartridges. So any knowledgeable clarification on that would be appreciated.
You CANNOT upgrade either the cartridge or the stylus (aka needle) in that turntable, or any other sub-$100 turntable that i am aware of. You can replace the needle if it is worn.
Quote:
3. While listening with "2 ch analog direct" enabled, my receivers EQ wont function. is there anyway to be able to EQ in the analog domain? Or is analog meant to be listened to 'flat"
The EQ in your AVR is digital. To EQ analog signals, it must first convert them to digital. If you want to use EQ, then just don't use 2-channel direct. Again, it's your choice, and you should do what sounds best to you.
Quote:
4.Pretty sure the AT-LP60 is what I'm going to get. However, if anyone has a suggestion about something in the 100$ range that they think would be better, please feel free to suggest. I know at this price point, there arent a whole lot of options.
Nothing better in that price range.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page