A few turntable questions from an amatuer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kryptonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really want to get into vinyl and strongly considering an entry level turntable like the Audio-Technica AT-LP60. Just a few questions before pulling the trigger.

1. My reciever has a phono input, so I'm set there. My particular receiver has a 2 ch "analog direct" mode. No extra processing, just amplification of the sound. Am I correct in assuming that this is the setting I would want to listen to records to? No D/A conversion etc etc


2. Unfortunately the AT-LP60s cartridge can't be upgraded. I have read that the needle could be though. Not 100% clear on that subject though. I see various articles on people upgrading their cartridges. So any knowledgeable clarification on that would be appreciated.


3. While listening with "2 ch analog direct" enabled, my receivers EQ wont function. is there anyway to be able to EQ in the analog domain? Or is analog meant to be listened to 'flat"


4.Pretty sure the AT-LP60 is what I'm going to get. However, if anyone has a suggestion about something in the 100$ range that they think would be better, please feel free to suggest. I know at this price point, there arent a whole lot of options.


Thanks in advance for any help, its much appreciated!
kryptonian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,458
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134

1.  Yup.

2.  You can upgrade/replace the cartridge. 

3.  The EQ is probably digital and that's why you cannot use it in the analog domain.

4.  For $100, there's nothing better new.  Used is another story.


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kryptonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

1.  Yup.
2.  You can upgrade/replace the cartridge. 
3.  The EQ is probably digital and that's why you cannot use it in the analog domain.
4.  For $100, there's nothing better new.  Used is another story.

Thank you for taking the time to respond sir. You mentioned used. Other then ebay, do you know of a reputable place to buy a used turntable?
kryptonian is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Being your new to vinyl and you have a short budget I would go w/the new TT. Less problems w/a warranty. Used can be a slippery slope especially if you don't know what to look for.smile.gif
Class A is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,458
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post


Thank you for taking the time to respond sir. You mentioned used. Other then ebay, do you know of a reputable place to buy a used turntable?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Being your new to vinyl and you have a short budget I would go w/the new TT. Less problems w/a warranty. Used can be a slippery slope especially if you don't know what to look for.smile.gif

Good point.  Perhaps it might be best to get the AT now and learn about setup and upgrades and, in the future, you can use that knowledge to choose better.


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
1. My reciever has a phono input, so I'm set there. My particular receiver has a 2 ch "analog direct" mode. No extra processing, just amplification of the sound. Am I correct in assuming that this is the setting I would want to listen to records to? No D/A conversion etc etc
Not necessarily. If you are using room correction, for example, there's no reason you'd need to turn it off for analog listening. Try it both ways.
Quote:
2. Unfortunately the AT-LP60s cartridge can't be upgraded. I have read that the needle could be though. Not 100% clear on that subject though. I see various articles on people upgrading their cartridges. So any knowledgeable clarification on that would be appreciated.
You CANNOT upgrade either the cartridge or the stylus (aka needle) in that turntable, or any other sub-$100 turntable that i am aware of. You can replace the needle if it is worn.
Quote:
3. While listening with "2 ch analog direct" enabled, my receivers EQ wont function. is there anyway to be able to EQ in the analog domain? Or is analog meant to be listened to 'flat"
The EQ in your AVR is digital. To EQ analog signals, it must first convert them to digital. If you want to use EQ, then just don't use 2-channel direct. Again, it's your choice, and you should do what sounds best to you.
Quote:
4.Pretty sure the AT-LP60 is what I'm going to get. However, if anyone has a suggestion about something in the 100$ range that they think would be better, please feel free to suggest. I know at this price point, there arent a whole lot of options.
Nothing better in that price range.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is online now  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off