Criteria for choosing a CD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
CD players are offered in a wide range of prices. What does the consumer need to know when choosing products? What is the advantage of choosing a dedicated CD player versus a multi-format Blu-ray/DVD capable product?
UndersAVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
What does the consumer need to know when choosing products?
There's pretty much nothing you need to know. Choosing at random will get you excellent sound. You can buy whatever strikes your fancy, for whatever reason.
Quote:
What is the advantage of choosing a dedicated CD player versus a multi-format Blu-ray/DVD capable product?
Convenience, in some cases. When I had a CD player, it was easy to program a different song order, or skip some songs. I'm not sure I can do that with my DVD player. (Not that I need to, since I mostly stream music these days.)

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is online now  
post #3 of 43 Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

CD players are offered in a wide range of prices.

Yes -

(1) You have the ultra-cheap which I would consider anything under $60.
(2) There are what I consider to the mainstream players that are good for basic systems and also work excellently with AVRs with digital inputs. $60-200
(3) The high priced players with special features like the ability to play non-traditional sources such as SACDs and DVD-As, ultira-quality DACs and bass management, etc, $200-500
(4) The status symbols - $500 and up maybe even well into the 5 figures. Mostly good for bragging rights.
Quote:
What does the consumer need to know when choosing products?

The exact nature of the system he is going to put the player into, and the media that he wishes to play.
Quote:
What is the advantage of choosing a dedicated CD player versus a multi-format Blu-ray/DVD capable product?

It used to be that mainstream Blu-Ray players were slow, but that problem seems to have been overcome for at least the past year. I'd watch out for it, though.

Many DVD players will play CDs brilliantly SQ-wise but their controls and displays may be too lightweight. Many DVD players need a video display (TV) to be really useful. Today you can find small flat-screen TVs that can provide you with the effect of a player with a huge brilliant display when used with DVD players with minimal displays of their own in a music-only system.

Every dedicated CD player I've seen will usefully play CDs as a stand-alone device. Thing is, dedicated CD players are getting to be like hen's teeth.
arnyk is offline  
post #4 of 43 Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Easy, a dedicated cd player will give the listener the best reproduction playback. A multi -task or universal player will not be as forgiving as it has several duties
(cd, dvd, sacd or dvd-a, possibly BR).
JA Fant is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Easy, a dedicated cd player will give the listener the best reproduction playback. A multi -task or universal player will not be as forgiving as it has several duties
(cd, dvd, sacd or dvd-a, possibly BR).
This makes sense, but it's a myth. Anything that can read a disk with the data density of BluRay can read CDs with its eyes closed, so to speak. There's nothing about BR capability that in any way compromises CD capability.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is online now  
post #6 of 43 Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Easy, a dedicated cd player will give the listener the best reproduction playback. A multi -task or universal player will not be as forgiving as it has several duties
(cd, dvd, sacd or dvd-a, possibly BR).

Speculation or is there evidence to back this up?
arnyk is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
All you have to do is go to a dealer/retailer and demo for yourself...
JA Fant is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM
 
diomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

All you have to do is go to a dealer/retailer and demo for yourself...
I've never done a side by side demo at a dealer/retailer. Can you give some tips on how to set it up?
diomania is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
All you have to do is go to a dealer/retailer and demo for yourself...
...and you'll be guaranteed to come away with a CD player that sounds just as good as an $80 DVD player.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is online now  
post #10 of 43 Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

All you have to do is go to a dealer/retailer and demo for yourself...
I've never done a side by side demo at a dealer/retailer.

A well done one (scientificaly speaking) would be commercial suicide.
Quote:
Can you give some tips on how to set it up?

I've never met a dealer that was even vaguely interested in giving unibased demos of electronics.

Anybody who has studied sales seriously knows that the secret of the art is creating irrational biases. Cheeez! ;-)
arnyk is offline  
post #11 of 43 Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks for replies. Comments concerning features make good sense. Having the desired connectivity options is a must.

Sound quality though? How about those expensive, high quality DAC's and their filters? And multiple DAC's, one for each channel? And a big power supply to provide plenty of power? Don't I need to upsample the resolution to 384kHz to get the best sound, a sound comparable to vinyl?

I've read that vinyl has a warmer sound because of its continuous, analog signal, where digital is harsh due to the choppy nature of bit signals. I've read that the Oppo SE with the upgraded Sabre 32 bit DAC is much superior to the vanilla DAC; audio veils have been lifted and distortion a thing of the past; unheard details become apparent. Its been said that the superior audio quality of some disc players is so obvious that only a short-coming in other components could render any other experience.

What justifies the difference in price between a $2,500 Yamaha SACD player and a $200 Yamaha disc changer?

These are the quandries that many purchasers experience when choosing disc players, and I marvel at the confusion and lack of understandable information.
UndersAVS is offline  
post #12 of 43 Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Sound quality though? How about those expensive, high quality DAC's and their filters? And multiple DAC's, one for each channel? And a big power supply to provide plenty of power? Don't I need to upsample the resolution to 384kHz to get the best sound, a sound comparable to vinyl?

I've read that vinyl has a warmer sound because of its continuous, analog signal, where digital is harsh due to the choppy nature of bit signals. I've read that the Oppo SE with the upgraded Sabre 32 bit DAC is much superior to the vanilla DAC; audio veils have been lifted and distortion a thing of the past; unheard details become apparent. Its been said that the superior audio quality of some disc players is so obvious that only a short-coming in other components could render any other experience.
It's all audiophile mythology. Just as an example, here's an account of a listening test in which a prominent maker of turntables couldn't tell the difference between a vinyl record—played on one of his own turntables—and a CD-quality copy of same.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is online now  
post #13 of 43 Old 03-17-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Thanks for replies. Comments concerning features make good sense. Having the desired connectivity options is a must.

Sound quality though?

It has been known and shown for decades that all good CD players sound the same. All but some cheap portables and sleazy home models are sonically transparent - fully deliver the sound that was encoded on the CD. Ditto for good portable digital players such as the various models of the iPod and Sansa Clip/Fuze.
Quote:
How about those expensive, high quality DAC's and their filters?

Window dressing.
Quote:
And multiple DAC's, one for each channel?

Tech toys.
Quote:
And a big power supply to provide plenty of power?


This is a CD player not a power amp!
Quote:
Don't I need to upsample the resolution to 384kHz to get the best sound, a sound comparable to vinyl?

Vinyl is far from being the gold standard for sound quality. Upsampling is numerical double/triple/qaudruple talk.

Quote:
I've read that vinyl has a warmer sound because of its continuous, analog signal, where digital is harsh due to the choppy nature of bit signals.

That is an audiophile myth. Vinyl was replaced by digital because it had gone as far as it could, being a fairly crude mechanical process based on dragging a stone through a fragile plastic trench.

The alleged choppy nature of digital doesn't exist in the real world. The signals that come out of the analog outputs of good digital players are smooth and free from steps or missing data. They are actually smoother than the same music coming off LP playback because the background noise is so much lower and there are no tics and snaps due to dust in the grooves. CD players generally offer precise, accurate frequency response over the audible range, while every phono cartridge has its own frequency response curve and other audible peculiarities. The noise and nonlinear distortion is orders of magnitude less, which is the difference between audible distortion that besets every second of LP playback. and a total freedom from audible distortion with the CD.
Quote:
I've read that the Oppo SE with the upgraded Sabre 32 bit DAC is much superior to the vanilla DAC;

The ESS 32 bit Sabre DAC does have very high performance, but it is all about big numbers to show visiting firemen and bragging rights. It does not stand head and shoulders above its competition, even in the race for just numbers. It is far more than good enough to play CDs excellently, but so is the DAC in your $100 Blu Ray player.

One problem with trying to obtain improved sound out of CDs with fancy electronics is that the basic CD format is 16 bits and limited to 22 KHz frequency response and about 93 dB dynamic range. Audio is definitely about the weakest link in the system (which actually lies elsewhere) but the most immediate point is that playing around with 192 KHz DACs, 24 bits, 32 bits, and converters with 120 dB+ dynamic range won't change those basic facts about the CD format.
Quote:
audio veils have been lifted and distortion a thing of the past; unheard details become apparent. Its been said that the superior audio quality of some disc players is so obvious that only a short-coming in other components could render any other experience.

That all did happen, but it was back in the mid-early 1980s when most of us left vinyl behind.
Quote:
What justifies the difference in price between a $2,500 Yamaha SACD player and a $200 Yamaha disc changer?

Perceived value.
Quote:
These are the quandries that many purchasers experience when choosing disc players, and I marvel at the confusion and lack of understandable information.

I see no quandry. Common sense rules. There is such a thing as a law of diminishing returns, and good modern digital players of a wide variety sound just great.

If the people who sell these highly expensive audio components could set up a good clean DBT that would demonstrate their claims for improved sound quality, they would. I've tried, others have tried, and modern digital players are just that good. My $35 Sansa Clip playing an uncompressed music file delivers an audibly clean signal that is indistinguishable or maybe even a little cleaner than my ca. 1983 $900 home CD player or a $2,500 player you might buy today.

gtaylor0 likes this.
arnyk is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Boston Audio Society! Great organization and interesting test. I'm familiar with the high resolution disc study some members conducted a few years ago; confirming that listeners could not reliably distinguish between SACD and DVD-A recordings played at full resolution versus CD resolution level. I'm sure you're aware of it, so I didn't hotlink. I had not read the "Digital Challenge" article, but now have it bookmarked for future reference. Thank you McNarus sir.

Apparently the owner of HD Tracks, the website selling downloadable, high-resolution audio files, didn't read the BAS study... Or just counting on no one else reading it. Or... knows that some? many? most? customers will ignore the findings and pay an extra ten, twenty, or more dollars for the download album instead of buying a CD and ripping it.

Hope you don't mind me getting a little off topic, but the reason I cite the latter - "ignoring customers" - is because I've encountered quite a few people in web forums that not only ignore the BAS high-rez study's conclusion, but argue against it. And I might add... Not very logically. Before I go further, let me just say I'm not an engineer of any stripe. I know about as much about the inner workings of a toaster as I do a disc player. However, probably like most folks posting in forums, I very much enjoy music and want to get the best enjoyment for my dollars. Reading and sharing information is rewarding in several ways, and, of course, finding the *truth* is central to any discussion.

So here's the thing, we have this well-designed audio study conducted by competent researchers and published by the Audio-Engineering study. Yet we also have audio enthusiasts on these great web forums who opinion that the study is wrong, because (I'm not making these up):
- scientist make mistakes
- there are things that have not been scientifically proven
- I can hear a difference - no really I can
- manufacturers wouldn't offer useless and over-priced products
- can't hear a difference because the playback equipment isn't good enough
- and then a few arguments that actually begin demonstrating a little bit of sound reasoning by criticizing the research methodology.

Some of those comments were made recently in a discussion concerning the benefit of lossy Blu-ray audio. I don't know of any methodology flaws discovered thus far, but welcome intelligent opinions. Thus far, I think the best argument (not very good though) has been test subject heebee jebees putting a monkey wrench in the listening faculties. Its obvious that many of those posting comments didn't read thoroughly and ignore statements indicating that the high resolution discs are generally of a high quality - though the study didn't confirm that quality could be attributed to the increased resolution.

In fairness to the HD tracks vendor, some of the tracks have been re-mastered, but the last time I checked... Not many.

Okay, I got that off my chest. Back to disc players. Apparently high dollar status symbols for some.
UndersAVS is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post


I see no quandry. Common sense rules. There is such a thing as a law of diminishing returns, and good modern digital players of a wide variety sound just great.

Common sense? C'mon Arny, you know better. Your college professors wouldn't approve wink.gif

I think technical knowledge and/or reliable sources, such as Boston Audio Society, providing information is the key. It isn't practical for most consumers to flush manufacturer snake oil from facts. Going a step further, its obvious that some audio engineers seem to believe in some of the audio myth. That says a lot.

As you can see in my previous post, I am skeptical of any improvements by upsampling and high resolution files. Yet, I've seen the option to playback audio files at 192kHz upsample available on an moderately priced LG Blu-ray player. It would appear to be a useless option, but who knows? Not average Joe/Jane consumer, I'd wager.

You mentioned 22kHz redbook standard limitation and I'm confused on that point. I'm thinking Fletcher and Munson curve and the human listening range? And 16bits. Why is that a problem? I'm guessing that those two variables combined limit dynamic range to 93dB.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I've seen the array of DAC's now available and was considering purchasing a disc player for the garage - my Winter Cigar lounge - to replace my 1st gen Blu-ray player since I've had sketchy results with media streamers and lossless files on the home PC.
UndersAVS is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well now that I know that I don't need to spend $1,200 on an upgraded Oppo SE to spin a disc for high quality sound in the garage smoking lounge, its going to be.... Glen Fidditch tonight baby! No Cutty Sark filling the vessel, no sir. Fat cheroot from Punch with Thelonious Monk
Quartet - Lets Cool One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7F5jxJCeRY

Not outta the woods yet though. Though I keep discs spotless, the 1st Gen Samsung BR player halts CD playback once in while. Playback picks up after a dozen or so seconds. Plays DVD and BR w/o a hitch. I've got the player wired analog to a 90ish Carver CM 1090 Integrated Amp outputting to PSB CS 1001 outdoor speakers. Basically, a 100 wpc setup powering bookies with CRT coming out of retirement for the occasional video needs. Livin' large and invoking jealousy for sure.

At this point, I'm a WM, hetero, seeking a player that can reliably spin CD, and a suitable fleece-lined wool sweatshirt. I own a few SACD and DVD-A dics, so those capabilites would be a bonus, and complimenting the high resolution audio, a cashmere sweater that brings out the natural brown in my eyes. Toroidal transformers and high-resolution upconverting is a plus, but not required. Steep brick-walled filters are a turn-off. Much prefer a durable, low-maintenance vinyl filter with accessible gradients for my aging Carver amp.
UndersAVS is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
K Shep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
K Shep is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Well now that I know that I don't need to spend $1,200 on an upgraded Oppo SE to spin a disc for high quality sound in the garage smoking lounge, its going to be.... Glen Fidditch tonight baby! No Cutty Sark filling the vessel, no sir. Fat cheroot from Punch with Thelonious Monk
Quartet - Lets Cool One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7F5jxJCeRY

Not outta the woods yet though. Though I keep discs spotless, the 1st Gen Samsung BR player halts CD playback once in while. Playback picks up after a dozen or so seconds. Plays DVD and BR w/o a hitch. I've got the player wired analog to a 90ish Carver CM 1090 Integrated Amp outputting to PSB CS 1001 outdoor speakers. Basically, a 100 wpc setup powering bookies with CRT coming out of retirement for the occasional video needs. Livin' large and invoking jealousy for sure.

At this point, I'm a WM, hetero, seeking a player that can reliably spin CD, and a suitable fleece-lined wool sweatshirt. I own a few SACD and DVD-A dics, so those capabilites would be a bonus, and complimenting the high resolution audio, a cashmere sweater that brings out the natural brown in my eyes. Toroidal transformers and high-resolution upconverting is a plus, but not required. Steep brick-walled filters are a turn-off. Much prefer a durable, low-maintenance vinyl filter with accessible gradients for my aging Carver amp.

It seems kinda strange, but it appears that the most economical way to play DVD, BD, DACD, and DVD-A involves two players.

These work for DVDs, SACDs and DVD-A: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DV-610AVE-Multiformat-SACD-Player/dp/B001PBQNPO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363867396&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+universal+dvd+blu+ray

Then you add a BD player like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R4PK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
arnyk is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
JD NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

It seems kinda strange, but it appears that the most economical way to play DVD, BD, DACD, and DVD-A involves two players.

These work for DVDs, SACDs and DVD-A: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DV-610AVE-Multiformat-SACD-Player/dp/B001PBQNPO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363867396&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+universal+dvd+blu+ray

Then you add a BD player like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R4PK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Agreed. The Pioneer is a great "everything but BD" player, with good build quality. It also has two underrated features: front panel controls allow you queue up a CD without using the remote, and it's region free out of the box. Does a better job with DVD upscaling than my BD player, but it's a little trickier to zoom in on matted-widescreen content at the correct aspect ratio than other players I've used for some reason.

For Blu Ray, any entry level sony or panasonic will give you solid performance. I have one of each (both non-3D), and they're both excellent BD transports. I use the Panny + Pioneer for my main system, and got both for just over $200 total compared to $400-500 for a universal BD player. The only drawback is that I use an extra HDMI port on my AVR.

JD NC is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Getting a BR and DVD player does seem to be the best bang for your buck approach.

I found a loaded Pioneer Elite $549 tht has every feature imaginable:
- Multi-region capability
- SACD/DVD-A playback
- Photo and music streaming
- DLNA renderer
- network services including Pandora®, Netflix® and YouTube®
- smartphone features
- full IP and RS232 support including wake-up on LAN
- dual hdmi outputs

http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-ELITE-BDP-62FD-Region-Player/dp/B009UY2A3C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3HSJRC96DLT7I&coliid=I3VQHG15OG9MN6

The cost of the Panasonic BR and Pioneer DVD player is about half that of the Pioneer Elite.The Elite looks to be slightly more rich in the networking department with the rendering and LAN functions. Then again, can it reliably stream uncompressed music files over a wireless connection? I haven't had much luck doing this with an LG Player, PC's,laptop, and an Xbox. The extra money might be better spent on a seperate, more powerful streaming device.

Guess you've got to consider the hdmi inputs and cabling, available shelf space, and a good universal remote in the mix too. Is it feasible to run Ethernet cable to get reliable music streaming?

My house is a nightmare in the last department. Slab foundation, vaulted ceilings with low pitch roofs. No access to the 2nd story attic space. No opening was made in any of the second floor ceilings allowing access to the attic. The AC blower unit is crammed in tiny attic space over the foyer and I need an HVAC guy with Vietnam tunnel rat training to service it. For some reason the insulation dropped down from the rafters and its almost impossible to staple it back in place. Trying to run Ethernet in this place would be quite the chore.

BTW... Whose going to be the sucker buying the Oppo DVD player for $1500? That particular model suffered from a batch of bad power supplies or a design problem to boot..
UndersAVS is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kilian.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ex-50Hz, now 60Hz
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
No need to spend more to buy the multi-region Pioneer when these players can be made MR by firmware. The 62FD MSRP $399, if you don't need DVD-A (since you're sceptical of high res) the 150 MSRP$199.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Kilian.ca is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
JD NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

No need to spend more to buy the multi-region Pioneer when these players can be made MR by firmware. The 62FD MSRP $399, if you don't need DVD-A (since you're sceptical of high res) the 150 MSRP$199.

The Pioneer DV-610AV is $140 at amazon, and I got mine for $105. The $205 I spent was for the Pioneer and Panasonic BD player combined.

JD NC is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
bradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I rock the Pio 610 and Sony S370 combo.
$200 and plays everything under the sun and includes analog multi-ch. outs.

And arnyK should try to talk sense into the loons at SA-CD.net forums:)
bradman is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Much grateful for advice thus far. I was veering toward the inexpensive Pioneer universal disc player, DV-610; though the black unit is currently unavailable and much preferred. The Pioneer has a feature of which I initially gave little notice: a USB input. Suddenly I arrived at a brilliant idea.

The vast majority of my CD collection is stored in WAV format on a HP Pocket Media Drive. The Pocket Drive is a removable harddrive that easily slides out of the PC front panel and can be connected to USB equipped devices such as the forementioned disc players. The strengths of this setup are obvious. Right now, I've got about 100 discs piled up here and there in the garage just waiting to be knocked over and cases cracked. Much easier to pull the Pocket Drive a couple times a week, rather than digging through piles of CD's in the Living Room and then returning them when finished.

However, after reading the DV-610's PDF manual from Pioneer's website, I am doubtful that the Pioneer player will accomplish the task because:

1. WAV is not listed as a playable format, only WMA and MP3
2. the number of files might be too much for the player to handle

Though I could use my laptop to accomplish the task, it seems to have crappy analog output, and I would have the nuissance of audio/usb cables in the listening area. I would be happier positioning the harddrive and player next to the amp, using the remote control and TV display to navigate the music selection.

Hmmmm.... How can I spoil myself to the fullest extent? Is there another drive player or compact media device that will accomplish the task?
UndersAVS is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 03-23-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
UndersAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

I rock the Pio 610 and Sony S370 combo.
$200 and plays everything under the sun and includes analog multi-ch. outs.

And what are you rolling with wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

And arnyK should try to talk sense into the loons at SA-CD.net forums:)

arnyK has probably tried many, many times.

Repeating what I posted earlier in this thread (BAS high resolution study); some folks not only ignore sound information, they sometimes seem pent on providing foolish arguments against it. Of course, manufacturers of those over-built, high dollar components who know better are counting on human foolishness.
UndersAVS is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
JD NC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Much grateful for advice thus far. I was veering toward the inexpensive Pioneer universal disc player, DV-610; though the black unit is currently unavailable and much preferred. The Pioneer has a feature of which I initially gave little notice: a USB input. Suddenly I arrived at a brilliant idea.

The vast majority of my CD collection is stored in WAV format on a HP Pocket Media Drive. The Pocket Drive is a removable harddrive that easily slides out of the PC front panel and can be connected to USB equipped devices such as the forementioned disc players. The strengths of this setup are obvious. Right now, I've got about 100 discs piled up here and there in the garage just waiting to be knocked over and cases cracked. Much easier to pull the Pocket Drive a couple times a week, rather than digging through piles of CD's in the Living Room and then returning them when finished.

However, after reading the DV-610's PDF manual from Pioneer's website, I am doubtful that the Pioneer player will accomplish the task because:

1. WAV is not listed as a playable format, only WMA and MP3
2. the number of files might be too much for the player to handle

Though I could use my laptop to accomplish the task, it seems to have crappy analog output, and I would have the nuissance of audio/usb cables in the listening area. I would be happier positioning the harddrive and player next to the amp, using the remote control and TV display to navigate the music selection.

Hmmmm.... How can I spoil myself to the fullest extent? Is there another drive player or compact media device that will accomplish the task?

Haven't used the USB port on the Pioneer, but surprised that WAV isn't supported. I'll test it out tonight. Number of files shouldn't be a problem as long as no one directory has a huge number of files. May slow down navigation though.

Cheapest new universal BD player is $400, but it might be worth it to to to have one do-it-all box if the Pioneer doesn't do the job with USB and if looks and/or space are an issue. The Yamaha BD-A1020 is $400, but has received mixed reviews. In the $500 range, can't go wrong with the Oppo 103.

JD NC is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndersAVS View Post

Much grateful for advice thus far. I was veering toward the inexpensive Pioneer universal disc player, DV-610; though the black unit is currently unavailable and much preferred. The Pioneer has a feature of which I initially gave little notice: a USB input. Suddenly I arrived at a brilliant idea.

The vast majority of my CD collection is stored in WAV format on a HP Pocket Media Drive. The Pocket Drive is a removable harddrive that easily slides out of the PC front panel and can be connected to USB equipped devices such as the forementioned disc players. The strengths of this setup are obvious. Right now, I've got about 100 discs piled up here and there in the garage just waiting to be knocked over and cases cracked. Much easier to pull the Pocket Drive a couple times a week, rather than digging through piles of CD's in the Living Room and then returning them when finished.

However, after reading the DV-610's PDF manual from Pioneer's website, I am doubtful that the Pioneer player will accomplish the task because:

1. WAV is not listed as a playable format, only WMA and MP3
2. the number of files might be too much for the player to handle

If you read my post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444372/criteria-for-choosing-a-cd-player#post_23106598n you will see that I recommended that you also obtain a Blu Ray player - one reason being that they generally provide a means for circumventing this problem. However, they often don't support .wav files, but they do support FLAC files which are analogous, but take up about half the space. PC software for losslessly converting your .wav files to flac files is readily available for free.
arnyk is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Member
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also consider the transport noise. I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 that when CD is spinning makes an intolerable background noise.
noisebeam is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 2,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Yes, the newer Panasonic players are very loud (the exception being the DMP-BDT500). I would agree the noise is unacceptable.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Member
 
mjcmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

Easy, a dedicated cd player will give the listener the best reproduction playback. A multi -task or universal player will not be as forgiving as it has several duties
(cd, dvd, sacd or dvd-a, possibly BR).
I've always noticed that a well designed dedicated cdp sounds better than a dvd player. But the DVD/bluray players a more plentiful and the better ones are quite good.

mjcmt is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off