Core Audio Server Ryan Mintz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any experience with Core Audio (Ryan Mintz)?

Or, has anyone had any good experiences, with either product quality, or customer service?

I purchased a server from him over a year ago.
For the limited amount of time I have been able to listen to it,
it has displayed no real sound quality difference compared to a stock Mac mini.

After hundreds of emails, shipping the server and/or power supply back and forth, and exchanging it for several different units, none of them will run for an hour without crashing...

Ryan has only made absurd claims, saying the warranty was void.

Is this an isolated case?

Frustrated consumer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Price:
$5,899.00
Availability:
4-6 Weeks
Shipping:
Free Shipping
* AC Voltage:

120VAC
230VAC

WTF - spending over 5000$ on a friggin music server? Are you real?
Sorry bud, if you have that money to spend on overpriced stuff - you deserve what you get.
Reminds me of a lot of the ultra high priced amps (>5000 for 150 wpc) that stereophile tested and went on the fritz the first time they plugged them in. Or measured like a sound control...
High priced crap for those with too much money.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Let me first state that I am unfamiliar with Core Audio, so I just went to their website to get a feeling of what they claim their music server can or can't do. I looked at the Kryptos Music server for $5,899 and some of the options offered make good sense. For example, the quiet chassis and super quiet hard drives. Any unwanted noise can contribute to a distraction in your music experience. This Kryptos Music server's specs did not specify any type of amplifier, so I'm assuming it's nothing more than a music server, with JRiver demo software installed (for this price, why they can't throw in a sub $100 software package is beyond me. I can't find anything about Core Audio that would allow them to "rebuild" Windows to minimize I/O processes - Microsoft allows programmers to link to their Core API (could that be where they got the company name?), but that isn't the same as modifying Windows, which I don't think even DELL or HP are allowed. Which makes me believe if they did mess with the Windows OS (as opposed to hooking into the API), this could very well be the reason for the crashing.

My first attempt to fix this, considering the company is refusing to honor the warranty, is to install Windows 8 and then JRiver. If the system still crashes after about an hour, I would look at replacing the RAM. After that I'd have to think something on the mother board is overheating and causing the error.

Critical Listener
"Beyond the Equipment"
HAA Certified
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page