cd player upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI All,

Looking for a bit of advice.I currently have a moon supernova cd player.I wa thinking of upgrading it.I was thinking a dac and a streamer.The two i was thinking about are the moon 380d with the 180 mind or the linn akurate ds streamer.Has anybody any idea how they all compare to each other..Any info would be much appreciated.

P.s. I have an einstein absolute tune amp with audiovector MI 1 avantgarde speakers.I am also interested in a moon 600i amp,any idea if it would be an improvement on my einstein amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts out there
post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 49
Try a search on "DAC dbt" in this section of the forum. You'll find tons of info.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Any thoughts out there
Yeah, but not any you'd want to hear.

The predominantly expressed view here (not necessarily the majority view), is that upgrades of CD players are a waste of money. Many of us don't even use them anymore.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzi View Post

Looking for a bit of advice.

You've asked more than one question. You may want to stick to one topic at a time.

The Linn Akurate DS is expensive. I saw the unit when it first hit the market, it has some bells and whistles. You may be able to accomplish the same functions with a Mac Mini at a fraction of the price. As far as an "improvement" if you want to stick with your speakers I would add an external cross over and a sub. Or some way to EQ your system along with a measuring device to test the changes made through EQ. It isn't the 2 channel purist approach but for the home those 2 options will provide an audible inprovement.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:

Any thoughts out there

Yes, your posts look like it came from someone who is poorly informed about the best ways to improve the sound quality of your system. DACs and the like are actually about tenth on the list.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

You've asked more than one question. You may want to stick to one topic at a time.
> Yamaha have released device (CD-N500) that streams and plays CDs. So you can get a single device that does both.
I've just posted my thoughts here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458693/yamaha-cd-n500-networked-cd-player-owners-thread
Quote:

You may be able to accomplish the same functions with a Mac Mini at a fraction of the price.
> I don't know, I tried streaming from a Mac Mini for while (actually connected to a Squeezebox) that was connected to the amp and hated it. Too flaky and waiting for it to boot was annoying. You also need to buy a separate CD/DVD drive for a Mac mini these days.

The Yamaha is relatively cheap for what it does. I paid $700. The included CD player is getting great reviews and I'm very happy with the quality of the streaming. Going by the price, I suspect the Linn is another league but I really don't know. So far very happy with the Yamaha.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HI All,

Looking for a bit of advice.I currently have a moon supernova cd player.I wa thinking of upgrading it.I was thinking a dac and a streamer.The two i was thinking about are the moon 380d with the 180 mind or the linn akurate ds streamer.Has anybody any idea how they all compare to each other..Any info would be much appreciated.

P.s. I have an einstein absolute tune amp with audiovector MI 1 avantgarde speakers.I am also interested in a moon 600i amp,any idea if it would be an improvement on my einstein amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapr2 View Post

> Yamaha have released device (CD-N500) that streams and plays CDs. So you can get a single device that does both.
I've just posted my thoughts here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458693/yamaha-cd-n500-networked-cd-player-owners-thread

First off sapr2 Welcome to AVS.

Please read the 3 questions the OP (original poster) asked above. They relate to a Dac, a streaming device, amplifier and speakers, the speakers he owns. When answering a question regarding an amplifier it is important to understand the specifications of the speakers in the system the amp will be driving. So you see, that is 4 different components he has pointed to. Thank you for your input.

Quote:

> I don't know, I tried streaming from a Mac Mini for while (actually connected to a Squeezebox) that was connected to the amp and hated it. Too flaky and waiting for it to boot was annoying. You also need to buy a separate CD/DVD drive for a Mac mini these days.

Starting a sentence with "I don't know" when making a recommendation is not a recommendation. I am not sure why one would chose to stream to a Squeezebox when you may use an iOS device to control iTunes and stream using an Airport Express. Which is what I do in my home to 2 different zones (2 AE). I'm not familiar with the Squeezebox product line.

Quote:

The Yamaha is relatively cheap for what it does.

I read a members post, look at their equipment and answer questions based on the price point of the equipment or I don't participate at all if I am not familiar with the concept or the equipment mentioned. Which is why I didn't recommend a "cheap" alternative. This OP has spent $ on his gear and is considering a Linn product that retails for $6,800 my recommendation reflects all of these considerations.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 AM

Hey K Shep - Sorry if my response upset you. No offence or wastage of valuable time was intended.
Quote:

Please read the 3 questions the OP (original poster) asked above. They relate to a Dac, a streaming device, amplifier and speakers, the speakers he owns. When answering a question regarding an amplifier it is important to understand the specifications of the speakers in the system the amp will be driving. So you see, that is 4 different components he has pointed to. Thank you for your input.
So really this particular discussion should be limited people using the audiovector MI 1 avantgarde speakers who have used them with a Dac + a streaming device + amplifier. Mea culpa...but it appeared as if users of Mac minis were exempted from this requirement.
Quote:

Starting a sentence with "I don't know" when making a recommendation is not a recommendation.
Agreed - that because that sentence wasn't a recommendation. I was simply stating my reservation on the mac mini following my experience. Semantically, I wouldn't have thought the sentence "You may be able to accomplish the same functions with a Mac Mini at a fraction of the price." was a recommendation either - seemed more like an opener for discussion to me.

Quote:

I am not sure why one would chose to stream to a Squeezebox when you may use an iOS device to control iTunes and stream using an Airport Express. Which is what I do in my home to 2 different zones (2 AE). I'm not familiar with the Squeezebox product line.
The Squeezebox performed the function of media streamer + DAC. I wanted to avoid the cheap DAC that comes with the Mac mini and this device allowed me to browse the iTunes library without a iPod or TV on, but I'm not recommending it. Both it and the Mac were annoying. When it would stop working due to the endless Mac and Squeezebox updates, I'd lose interest altogether.
Quote:

I read a members post, look at their equipment and answer questions based on the price point of the equipment or I don't participate at all if I am not familiar with the concept or the equipment mentioned. Which is why I didn't recommend a "cheap" alternative. This OP has spent $ on his gear and is considering a Linn product that retails for $6,800 my recommendation reflects all of these considerations.
Good for you K Shep.

The salient points (however controversial) being made by me in the context of a discussion were simply:
1. It may be worthwhile considering a combined device for CD, DAC and streaming.
2. A combined device that I've happily experienced is the Yamaha.

Granted a $6800 Linn would be a thing of undoubted beauty and quality. That being the case and with that kind of money, I'd be inclined that $700 Mac mini well away from any such set up.

I did have a listen to the models up in the range when I purchased my setup: Yamaha AS-2000 Amp for $2500 + Yamaha NP-S2000 streamer for $2000 + Yamaha CD-S2000 for $2500. It may be of relevance to the original post. Unfortunately I didn't hear them with the audiovector speakers so will withhold further comment.

Cheerio
post #10 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey K Shep - Sorry if my response upset you.

No apology necessary.

Quote:

So really this particular discussion should be limited people using the audiovector MI 1 avantgarde speakers who have used them with a Dac + a streaming device + amplifier.

That's not what I wrote. Let's stay on topic.

Quote:

Good for you K Shep.

Thank you, just tryin' to help.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,I managed to compare my supernova against the linn akurate and didn‘t think there was a big difference between them.The linn was a bit leaner sounding with a bit more detail.Not sure if i want to trade in my supernova for the linn.Will need to go back in for anothet comparision and hopefully get a listen to the moon 380 as well.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi all,I managed to compare my supernova against the linn akurate and didn‘t think there was a big difference between them.The linn was a bit leaner sounding with a bit more detail.Not sure if i want to trade in my supernova for the linn.Will need to go back in for anothet comparision and hopefully get a listen to the moon 380 as well.

Akurate is a series by Linn. If you would like to receive interaction with folks here you may want to explain what type of components you auditioned. I'm guessing you tried the Akurate DSM unit against your Supernove CD player?
post #13 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

It was the akurate ds.The amp was a moon seven hundred i.not sure what the speakers were,floorstanders of somekind.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Managed to hear the moon 380 against the li nn akurate ds.liked both but think the moon is that bit better at getting the old feet tapping.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page