DAC and amp suggestions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

I'm in the market for a nice, entry-level, two-channel system of separates. There's an overwhelming amount of gear out there, and simply put, I'm lost. A few suggestions would be great!

The source of my media will come directly from my PC, and thus I'd like some help choosing a great "bang for the buck" DAC and amp. My budget for both devices is $3,000 dollars, but I'd love to keep it at or under $2,000 if possible.

These will need to power and function the B&W 685's that I auditioned and fell IN LOVE with today. I couldn't believe how well these beauties sounded for the money.

As of now, I'm thinking about going with the Peachtree Audio NovaPre and 220 amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
NAD C390DD
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kraemer View Post

First off, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

I'm in the market for a nice, entry-level, two-channel system of separates. There's an overwhelming amount of gear out there, and simply put, I'm lost. A few suggestions would be great!

The source of my media will come directly from my PC, and thus I'd like some help choosing a great "bang for the buck" DAC and amp. My budget for both devices is $3,000 dollars, but I'd love to keep it at or under $2,000 if possible.

These will need to power and function the B&W 685's that I auditioned and fell IN LOVE with today. I couldn't believe how well these beauties sounded for the money.

Piece of advice you probably don't want to hear #1:

Speaker auditions are generally a waste of time because the room so strongly affects sound quality. If you don't audition the speakers in your room, you don't know much about how they sound.

Piece of advice you probably don't want to hear #2:

Your enjoyment of the sound quality of your new system will heavily depend on your choice of a component you probably aren't even thinking of buying: The subwoofer. Up to half your speaker budget or 1/3 of your system budget should be spent there. The other component you probably weren't even thinking of buying are the acoustic treatments for your room.
Quote:
As of now, I'm thinking about going with the Peachtree Audio NovaPre and 220 amp.

Piece of advice you probably don't want to hear #3:

If you are actually interested in sound quality and not clinging to obsolete traditions, you will scrap all that and invest in a good AVR. They do 2-channel brilliantly and have features that you can't duplicate in separates without like doubling your budget.

Yes, you are in the wrong subforum. This question belongs in the Amp and Receiver area.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page