Yamaha CD-N500 Networked CD Player Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I installed Media Server and I see it's system shared folders (music, video, photo) from smart tv or mobile gadgets easily,, So I think DLNA is already enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlisted23 View Post

I was a little disappointed that the FFWD/REW doesn't work with FLAC files. I thought that it would support that function.
Thanks for any input.

This too is my only disappointment about the unit. Some tracks I play are over twenty minutes long and I like to FF. Otherwise a great unit, more satisfactory user experience than streaming through my receiver with the bonus of CD support.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #63 of 89 Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEanc1966 View Post

I don't know whether following is relevant for HDD formatting (I know the manual says external-HDD connection is not possible):

I have a Marantz CD6003 and found I can only connect an external HDD if I configure it as follows:
Max partition is 250GB (260Gb failed)
Format FAT32 with 32Kb clusters (64Kb clusters did not work)
Only first partition is seen.

I configured it with EASUS Partition Master Home Edition, which is free.

I'd be interested to know whether an external HDD configured in this way would work with the Yamaha.
I tried repartitioning and reformatting my 600GB backup drive but wasn't able to format a FAT32 partition for anything other than a 32G partition from WinXP or Win7. Gotta love Micro$oft.
I downloaded a simple formatter named fat32format and used it to format a 256G (262143MB partition) with 32K clusters - and it does work on the CD-N500. The author of the fat32format utility said that it doesn't support 64K clusters because many systems will misread the 64K size as a 0. I'm going to continue using my 32G thumb drives for now, but if someone only had a HDD to use this would work instead of a NAS drive.
post #64 of 89 Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

This too is my only disappointment about the unit. Some tracks I play are over twenty minutes long and I like to FF. Otherwise a great unit, more satisfactory user experience than streaming through my receiver with the bonus of CD support.
The part I don't understand is how they can implement the FFWD/REW function from disk media which can contain a single 600MB track but can't implement the function on sequentially accessed solid state memory. There's probably more involved when streaming the media than when a track on the CD can be reread internally. The variable compression would throw in another hurdle too. It should be straight forward to do on uncompressed files though. I'd rather have the FFWD than gapless playback, even if it was only on WAV files.
post #65 of 89 Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 AM

Yeah I don't understand the technicality either. Presumably if they could have done it easily they would. Personally gapless was one of the reasons I bought it. If my receiver could do that I doubt I'd have bothered. Annoying as well that it is a yamaha receiver.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #66 of 89 Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 AM

I'm really enjoying my CDN500, I use Google Play Music to stream from the cloud to the player via the Android app "Cast to UPnP" and it works amazingly well - very occasional buffering blips at the beginning of a session but that may well be my network being a bit sluggish, or my phone being a bit dated.

Only thing is, I signed up with Vtuner radio online and made a bunch of bookmarks which then magically appeared on the player and all was fine, but now (a few weeks later) all bookmarks have disappeared off the player and I can't figure out how to restore them - has anyone had the same?

post #67 of 89 Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalax View Post

I'm really enjoying my CDN500, I use Google Play Music to stream from the cloud to the player via the Android app "Cast to UPnP" and it works amazingly well - very occasional buffering blips at the beginning of a session but that may well be my network being a bit sluggish, or my phone being a bit dated.

Only thing is, I signed up with Vtuner radio online and made a bunch of bookmarks which then magically appeared on the player and all was fine, but now (a few weeks later) all bookmarks have disappeared off the player and I can't figure out how to restore them - has anyone had the same?

No hasn't happened to me yet.

May I ask where you bought yours from? I got mine from richer sounds in Eton for just 249.

post #68 of 89 Old 02-09-2014, 07:44 AM

Richer Sounds of course! I used the Weybridge branch.

post #69 of 89 Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Richer Sounds of course! I used the Weybridge branch.

Yep truly great bargain.

post #70 of 89 Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Yep truly great bargain.
That's half the price it's going for in the US. That is a bargain.
post #71 of 89 Old 02-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlisted23 View Post

That's half the price it's going for in the US. That is a bargain.

Bear in mind that is 249 Sterling not 249 US. But still cheap. The dealer me and the other guy used decided to get rid of their stock on a nationwide basis since apparently it was not selling well. Hence their price. It is quite a bit more expensive through other dealers.

post #72 of 89 Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Bear in mind that is 249 Sterling not 249 US. But still cheap. The dealer me and the other guy used decided to get rid of their stock on a nationwide basis since apparently it was not selling well. Hence their price. It is quite a bit more expensive through other dealers.
I did it in euros before but your price would be US$408 which is still much better than US$700. It will be interesting to see if the price at Crutchfield comes down any until it's replaced by a newer model or discontinued. The old Marantz units were discounted heavily, probably because they don't support some of the current file formats and internet services.
post #73 of 89 Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 AM

Hello , I'm also new here , I've had the yamaha cdn 500 for 5 days and hopefully you guys can put me straight , all my 16 , 24 bit and flac files are on a 3tb drive (usb) , I plugged into laptop , which the yamaha finds but won't find the drive , so I got on the net and found I should try transferring some of the files to the laptop , then into windows media ( not windows "music" ) and then set them up to share on my network , I also "allowed" the cdn500 in the drop down box ,
Now the problem I've got is out of 20 flac albums , only 2 have any content ? No matter what I try , it will only find the folders , but it says " no music "
The two I can play , both keep dropping out ?
I'm hopeing this is an easy fix as there's only a few days left to return it , it won't read my 3tb drive at all via the front usb , and it brings up different albums depending on wether I search via , "albums" or " folders"
Also should it be finding , all dlna enabled PCs ?
As for the player , I read the reviews and I don't know if I'm on my own , the cd playback is a bit compressed and lacking in vocals and botom end , and the top end has no sound stage , I'm picking up a friends NAS later , this will be its main source ( if I like it !) so I'm not to worried about the cd part , but I will say its deffinatly not up to the "£1000" players I kept reading before I bought , and what it can and can't find is a bit of a mystery for me , more like a £179 player ?
I'm currently use ing a Arcam alpha 7se cd , alpha 8 and p8 , into monitor audio GS10 golds on stand mounts , solid core for open bright sound stage , straight out of the box the yamaha was a bit disappointing , although the internet radio was supriseingly good ?
Anyone had the same problems ?
Sorry about the spelling!
Cheers
Daren.
post #74 of 89 Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
The N500 doesn't support ntfs file system... this is why it can't recognize your 3tb HDD when connected to the front USB port. You need to format it using fat32, but since windows format tool is unable to format partitions bigger then 32GB in fat32 you need a third party tool to do that...

You can follow this guide to help you doing that http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/format-fat32-drives-beyond-32gb-limit/

You're not the only one who notice a difference in quality when playing a CD....I also notice a bigger soundstage and more detail when music is playing from usb or nas...but stills sound good... Anyway I really never use the CD so is far from being a problem for me...
Daren1 likes this.
post #75 of 89 Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM

Yes that makes sense , I also found out tonight the two folders it will play are mp3 , just to make me feel a bit foolish , anyway thanks for your help it cheered the I ,T department (wife) up no end , now I can get back to explaining how to switch from tv to audio !
It's all a bit of a learning curve at the moment , the instruction book seems to have been written by the environment agency !
Cheers
Daren
post #76 of 89 Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 AM

After having nightmares with my virgin superhub , I disabled it and connected an old netgear rangemax as a hub/router and apart from some file sharing hiccups it's brought my network to life , for some reosen it would show the files but not play them ? All solved now and in the process of loading a seagate nas , the player does seem to be softening but still sounds a tad sharp at the top end , radio function is great , the usb playback is good , but the HD / flac from the nas are superb , shame about the app , oh and today the cd decided not to read anything I put in it , I'll investigate later , but it is a more than usefull bit of kit , I'm impressed !
Cheers
Daren
post #77 of 89 Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 AM

Liked: 11
Be sure you have the latest firmware version on your cdn 500...some of the latest updates where meant to improve compatibility with some NAS...
post #78 of 89 Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Has anyone added an external dac such as the irdac? Does it help?

post #79 of 89 Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Has anyone added an external dac such as the irdac? Does it help?

Does it help what?

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #80 of 89 Old 03-15-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Does it help what?

Attractiveness to women and sound quality.
beaveav likes this.

post #81 of 89 Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Hahahaha, good answer, but I'm afraid the answer is No to both. Won't be attractive to women, because in my experience they just don't care about this stuff, and won't help sound quality because the DACs in the player itself are excellent and don't need to be 'improved' upon in any meaningful way.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #82 of 89 Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Hahahaha, good answer, but I'm afraid the answer is No to both. Won't be attractive to women, because in my experience they just don't care about this stuff, and won't help sound quality because the DACs in the player itself are excellent and don't need to be 'improved' upon in any meaningful way.

Not true, my wife thinks the stereo and everything on it is the other woman.

I understand what you are looking for with the analog/vinyl analogy. I've noticed that the quality of the recording is just as important as the transmission media. We talk about the USB being better than the CD or a WAV file being better than other formats. I only have a couple of albums that are good enough quality to tell any difference on. Some of the CD's sound better as MP3's played on my clock radio than on the hifi. The one thing that I find annoying is the ringing/reverb sound that seems to be added to vocals by default. It would be nice if my equipment could remove those annoying sounds added in the studio from the vocal track.
post #83 of 89 Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:

A similar thing happened to me after the FW update to 2.02: today finally I had the time to play with vTuner web site and found a strange behavior. In the bookmark section I created a second bookmark group

1) My__Favorites (default one)

2) ADL (created by me)

all the Internet stations added to the second group were not visible by the CDN500 (bith from menu or the App)

Adding the same stations to the default group solved the problem, station became visible.

I suppose there is a bug in the new FW

post #84 of 89 Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 AM

wow , ive had to resend my email verification three times before a could reply ? anyway ive had the YAMAHA CDN 500  about a month now , access to everything is excellent ,  BUT , it sounds tinny metallic and echo,y and doesn't have much of a top end sound stage , don't get me wrong it does sound good but again not the "upto £1000 player" i kept reading before i bought it , in fact some of the albums i have on spotify via iPhone headphone socket still sound more balanced , also the cd player is dead ,"disc loading " and "stopping disc" is all i can get, so it'll going back anyway it did play to begin with but now nothing . the lack of playlists amazingly ? has led me to use bubbleupnp on my asus but i still have to change source on the yamaha app , im also having a nightmare trying to get any album artwork on the yamaha or in fact any of the apps ive tried using ? its all thereon a 3t nas (seagate central) but wont show up . i just seems at the moment that there isn't a lot of info about on how to resolve any of the issues so if any of you can help or have any tips you've found yourself before i start learning all the other languages in the book !! i also keep loosing the radio book marks but they do keep appearing again ! meanwhile im back to the vinyl,

cheers

Daren

post #85 of 89 Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 AM

Well things seem to have improved recently.

For those in the UK using BT Broadband with a BT Modem/Router it appears that you need to be using their Homehub3 The Revision B model. I managed to get hold of one and it appears to be working well.

Does anyone know how the CDN 500 reads Files/Tags? I have installed the app on my Android phone and the track order is usually not as Tagged, does it use the Track No. or Tag info? I have noticed that the tracks appear 01, 10,11, 02, 03, 04 and not 01, 02, 03, etc.

post #86 of 89 Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren1 View Post

wow , ive had to resend my email verification three times before a could reply ? anyway ive had the YAMAHA CDN 500  about a month now , access to everything is excellent ,  BUT , it sounds tinny metallic and echo,y and doesn't have much of a top end sound stage , don't get me wrong it does sound good but again not the "upto £1000 player" i kept reading before i bought it , in fact some of the albums i have on spotify via iPhone headphone socket still sound more balanced , also the cd player is dead ,"disc loading " and "stopping disc" is all i can get, so it'll going back anyway it did play to begin with but now nothing . the lack of playlists amazingly ? has led me to use bubbleupnp on my asus but i still have to change source on the yamaha app , im also having a nightmare trying to get any album artwork on the yamaha or in fact any of the apps ive tried using ? its all thereon a 3t nas (seagate central) but wont show up . i just seems at the moment that there isn't a lot of info about on how to resolve any of the issues so if any of you can help or have any tips you've found yourself before i start learning all the other languages in the book !! i also keep loosing the radio book marks but they do keep appearing again ! meanwhile im back to the vinyl,
 cheers
Daren

Sorry you are disappointed but must admit I don't recognise your characterisation at all. The only things wrong with device is that it doesn't have a streaming service like spotify and that you can't change volume via the app. Other than those minor quibbles works excellently for me.

post #87 of 89 Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Yes , it's a good player no doubt about it , I am impressed , I've got to send this one back , the cd deck won't read anything . If it turns out it can't be replaced due to lack of stock and a refunds offerd , I'm not sure if I'll look foe another or up my budget , I would say for the money it's great , I think I was expecting a bit more , sound wise
post #88 of 89 Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Pairing with Yamaha R-S700?

I'm looking at integrated amps to pair with the CD-N500 and was wondering if anyone is using the Yamaha R-S700? It's comparable to my 1980's model amplifier and seems to have good specs. I'd either be using it with bi-wired speakers or in a 2-zone setup.
I'd also be interested in hearing if the new R-N500 amp is set up the same as the CD-N500 as far as iPod apps and features.

PS.
The quality of the R-N500 wasn't as good as the CD-N500 but I'd like to try the A-S700 with the CD-N500 in the future. I'm not sure why the digital amps just don't sound very good to me but everyone else seems to like them. Maybe Yamaha will combine the CD-N500's DAC & networking electronics in the A-S700 in the future. That would be the best of both worlds.

Last edited by enlisted23; 07-25-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added info
post #89 of 89 Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Ok , I sent the cdn £500 back to "superfi" , they gave me 5 working days to return it ( or charges would apply ) it also stated they couldn't collect for the first 4 of those days , so only 3 days to collect , then I got a confermation email saying not to make any enquiries for the first 28 days from collection and at 30 days ( and still no contact) I emailed and the reply was " sorry about the delay , we've sent it to an autherised yamaha dealer for REPAIRS ? ( sorry I think broken and faulty are different ) and they not heard anything back and can't tell me when that likely to be .
All in all , it's been an on average experience ,, not unlike shopping at Tempo's , remember them? I'm going to have to do some research into "how long before a refund " next as for now I'm using a DAC from the usb of my laptop and I've got to say I'm not sure wich is best , although for the hassle of the laptop , I'll be looking forwerd to getting this resolved !!!
Cheers
Daren
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page