Yamaha CD-N500 Networked CD Player Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 107 Old 12-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There is a newer version out now, the CDN301. AirPlay and spottily built in and a cheaper price point. Anyone got it?

Denon AVR-X7200WA | Monitor Audio Silver 8 (2) Apex A40 (1) & A10 (4) | Kef R50 Modules (4) | Paradigm Seismic 110 (2) | LG 55EG920V | Samsung UBD K8500 | Audiolab M-pwr

7.2.4 Atmos Configuration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 12-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would be nice to have a firmware update with the airplay for the cdn500...specially now that there is a cheaper version with it...
post #93 of 107 Old 12-28-2014, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWaLKeR1982 View Post
Would be nice to have a firmware update with the airplay for the cdn500...specially now that there is a cheaper version with it...
Doubt it. If you check the features tab on the products page they promised music streaming services by future firmware update. Other units in their range, such as the RN500, got Spotify but this one didn't.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/aud..._w/?mode=model

Denon AVR-X7200WA | Monitor Audio Silver 8 (2) Apex A40 (1) & A10 (4) | Kef R50 Modules (4) | Paradigm Seismic 110 (2) | LG 55EG920V | Samsung UBD K8500 | Audiolab M-pwr

7.2.4 Atmos Configuration
post #94 of 107 Old 12-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Doubt it. If you check the features tab on the products page they promised music streaming services by future firmware update. Other units in their range, such as the RN500, got Spotify but this one didn't.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/aud..._w/?mode=model
Thanks for including the link. I'd really like to see both Pandora and AirPlay added to the CD-N500 if they could. And a FFWD function. Why do they list Vtuner as a feature on the 301 but not the 500? I use Pandora on a Sony BluRay player in another room but don't have it on my stereo so it would be nice if they could add it. I liked the AirPlay feature on the R-N500 but the amp itself was low quality.
post #95 of 107 Unread 11-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello!
I need to reactivate this tread with problem I have with my CD N500.
I had it more than 3 years as main source for digital and lossless. Very happy with sound at the first, connectivity option and grate look but in last few weeks I ve' noticed very loud pop from speakers between tracks using USB slot for my external HDD. Firstly it comes only when playing ripped flac files ( where tracks are separately recorded) also with some wav rarely with mp3 files.
This pops are connected with volume pot possition on my Nait 5i. Increasing volume on amp. following pop loudness from both speakers.
"Pure direct" option is constantly activated, I ve tried to turn on/off but without changes, pop still running ...
If I am using CD as source or internet radio, there is no any pop, only when I am switching sources what is quite normal for.
I have tried to change interconntect cable between amp and player, USB cable between HDD and Yamaha, power cable, speaker cables but nothings changed. Gapless option is turned on.

If some of owners has a similar problem or any idea how to fix I'll be very gratefull. If not, I should contact my local audio service in nearest future.
Thanks in advance!
Dubwiser
post #96 of 107 Unread 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Try to reinstall the firmware using a USB disk and after that do a factory reset... Till now all problems I had with the unit had been solved this way

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products...pc&tab=support
post #97 of 107 Unread 11-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Thank you for the first.
I made it, 2.07 version is currently available and through network not by disc. I've checked all the details for factory reset in avanced option so all suggested but nothings changed.
Very strange for me and few guys who knows something about audio. Some of them susspect on bad connection inside. I am still looking to avoid opening...
post #98 of 107 Unread 12-04-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubwiser View Post
Thank you for the first.
I made it, 2.07 version is currently available and through network not by disc. I've checked all the details for factory reset in avanced option so all suggested but nothings changed.
Very strange for me and few guys who knows something about audio. Some of them susspect on bad connection inside. I am still looking to avoid opening...
There is no any other ideas about my topic?
Many thanks in advance.
post #99 of 107 Unread 12-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Have you tried different hdd or using usb stick instead? Is your hdd a 3.5 or 2.5inch?
post #100 of 107 Unread 12-05-2015, 01:43 AM

It's same with other storages, nevermind it"s USB sticks or HDDs with the different power supply technology. Before posting here I suspect on my HDD with internal power supply through USB port. I was tried HDD with external power supply but I still hear loud pops when source is changing and between tracks when lossless files are choosen (flac, wav) and rarely with 320kbps mp3 files.
post #101 of 107 Unread 12-06-2015, 08:18 AM

I can't think about any other solution to your problem... You may need to take it to a yamaha authorized repair center..
post #102 of 107 Unread 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
There is no any other ideas about my topic?
Many thanks in advance.
I recall that the first firmware update started causing a pop when the pure direct mode was turned on or off on my player. Is it possible that the gapless mode is causing the pure direct to re-engage on lossless files? I don't use the gapless playback but do use WAV from a USB or FLAC from a NAS.

Is it possible that the disk or thumb drive is full or close to the folder/file limit? That shouldn't change with the MP3 files tho. The player does store a file in each folder for some reason.

Your amp is an analog integrated with RCA patch cords, right? Could you put an o-scope on the analog output to see what kind of waveform is causing the pop? Although there might not be anything that can be done to fix it. If it is a capacitive discharge, the extra load might have an effect too. The fact that it comes through both speakers could mean it's on the ground/shield part of the cable. It might be worth isolating the amp and CD-N so nothing but the speakers and power cables are connected to them.

Last edited by enlisted23; 12-07-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #103 of 107 Unread 12-17-2015, 05:32 AM

Hi enlisted23, thank you for all suggestions.

After reading your post, I've made a new firmware update but not helps. I was turned off gapless playback, with and without pure direct option activated but still nothings.
HDD capacity is not a problem, I have enough free space, around 40% so I don't see any reason to blame HDD for pops. To be sure, I will try to make partitions to separate folders.
Unfortunately I don't have o-scope to test Naim and Yamaha rca ports but I think they are ok. There is no any pops using CD unit so this test will be the last before sending to official service for test and possible repair.

As you mentioned now I am thinking that player makes separation between files inside folder by himself. It could be key point. On the other hand, I can hear pops when source is changing on Yamaha so I am not so sure is that a reason. If yes, I suppose that will be hard to fix in official service as well.

Your idea about components isolation from the rest of system looks fine. In upcoming days I will try to separate it with needed wires only ( power, speakers and interconnect cables). I'll be back with updated news what's going with pops after separation... Meanwile I will try to use Yamaha as transport only adding standalone DAC Musical Fidelity M1 via optical output just to improve Yamaha's DAC chip functionality.
Cheers!
post #104 of 107 Unread 12-17-2015, 07:30 AM

Be aware that using an external DAC is going to make you lose gapless playback
post #105 of 107 Unread 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM

In last few weeks I 've tried in my system a few dacs from low and mid quality range. Decision was easy and out of a question. For 550eur 17 months old Hegel HD11 decision comes very easy. I can say that sound is now "dramatically" better than before with Yamaha as main source. Yamaha took place in system as a transport via coax. FTA digital cable to new dac. And no any pops now. Only sound ... no sound. SOUND :blush:

Cheers!
post #106 of 107 Unread 02-06-2016, 10:19 PM

external DAC

Quote:
In last few weeks I 've tried in my system a few dacs from low and mid quality range. Decision was easy and out of a question. For 550eur 17 months old Hegel HD11 decision comes very easy. I can say that sound is now "dramatically" better than before with Yamaha as main source. Yamaha took place in system as a transport via coax. FTA digital cable to new dac. And no any pops now. Only sound ... no sound. SOUND :blush:

Cheers!
I'm planning on trying a new low cost SPDIF DAC from hifimediy.com that uses the ES9018k2m. They're taking preorders for $55 now for delivery in March. I wanted to try a sabre DAC for comparison with the wolfson.
post #107 of 107 Unread 02-16-2016, 10:45 PM

SPDIF volume control supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlisted23 View Post
I'm planning on trying a new low cost SPDIF DAC from hifimediy.com that uses the ES9018k2m. They're taking preorders for $55 now for delivery in March. I wanted to try a sabre DAC for comparison with the wolfson.
While I'm waiting for this part, does anyone know if the CD-N500 supports SPDIF volume control when used with an external DAC? The only way I can check this would be to move the unit to my AVR and connect the optical cable so I thought I'd ask here first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports