Single Disc CD Player Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the Sony BDP-S790 that I use to play cds with its 2 channel analog out and I use HDMI for watching movies. I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver that I use for sound. I really don't like using my Sony blu-ray player to play cds. I tried out the Onkyo C-7030 cd player, it had really good sound quality but I had to return it because it could not play my cd-rs. I know that I finalized them right because my car's cd player could read them as well as my Sony bluray player.

I'm planning to use the analog output from the cd player to my receiver. I've been looking at the Marantz CD5004 and the Yamaha CD-S300. Please recommend a cd player thats around $350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've had Marantz cd players in the past and have always found them reliable and well built. However I would sell the Sony and go w/an Oppo-103 it will play everything plus the PQ is the best out there $499.smile.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 291
That's actually a great idea. The Oppo is a great universal player. Another option would be to buy a refurbished Oppo BDP-93. They're $415 at oppodigital.com. The Marantz CD5004 is a great single disc player if you decide to go that route instead. It has Cirrus Logic DACs like the Oppo units so comparable audio quality.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #4 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 PM

I agree on going with the Oppo! It is a great player!

Bxbigpipi
post #5 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I have the Sony BDP-S790 that I use to play cds with its 2 channel analog out and I use HDMI for watching movies. I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver that I use for sound. I really don't like using my Sony blu-ray player to play cds. I tried out the Onkyo C-7030 cd player, it had really good sound quality but I had to return it because it could not play my cd-rs. I know that I finalized them right because my car's cd player could read them as well as my Sony bluray player.

I'm planning to use the analog output from the cd player to my receiver. I've been looking at the Marantz CD5004 and the Yamaha CD-S300. Please recommend a cd player thats around $350.

About finalizing. I had the same thing happen once to my nephew who burned a cd for a friend. It played fine in the house and someplace else, but not in the friends player. On further examination he had burned a mp3 cd and tried it out in players that read mp3 cds. It didn't play in a ordinary just cd player. A cars cd player and the sony can probably both read mp3 cds, the Onkyo, who knows? Might want to check.

Regardless, the recommendation for an Oppo is not a bad one. That's what I use for all my disc based media.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up ordering the Marantz CD5004. I decided not to the get the Oppo BDP-103, because I would never use most of its functions nd I doubt that I could tell the difference of picture quality between my Sony BDP-S790 and the Oppo on my 46" plasma tv.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Probably a good call. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Marantz. It's a fine player.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #8 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 AM

Liked: 10
NAD C545BEE....Excellent cd player...smile.gif

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

www.mirageconcept.com
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page