I find this interesting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://www.hifivision.com/cd-players/9218-buying-expensive-cd-players-we-getting-cheated.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you for the link.That is very interesting.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
PT Barnum once said, 'there's one born every minute'.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162

The full article is here: http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/mutton_in_wolfs_clothing

"...all high-end audio companies are small—it makes sense either to base the design of a CD, DVD, or Blu-ray player on a kit of parts from an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), on which most of the license fees will already have been paid—or even to base its product on another manufacturer's complete player, buy it in bulk, and discard any unused parts."

Instances of this have been reported on various AVS forums and other forums over the years, often with air-tight evidence including photographs.

For example:

"Then, this past January, the Audioholics website reviewed Lexicon's BD-30 Blu-ray player and revealed that, under the skin, the $3500 BD-30 was the $500 Oppo BDP-83. "

and

"For example, our review of the McIntosh MS750 media server, where we both made it clear that the MS750 was an Escient under the skin, and concluded that McIntosh hadn't done enough to improve the audio performance of the Escient platform. And back in November 1991, we indicated from the outset of our review that Theta's Data CD transport was, in fact, a Philips laserdisc player to which Theta had added a reclocking circuit before dropping the complete player into a new chassis."

I'll leave it to the reader to speculate on the outcome of a careful listening comparison of the pre- and post- mods players. ;-)
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

do big name amp companies do the same thing with these kits? When you buy a 2 thousand dollar amp are you partially paying for the shiny pretty chassis but another oem company sends some of the cheap parts that they charge a premium for with brand name?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

do big name amp companies do the same thing with these kits? When you buy a 2 thousand dollar amp are you partially paying for the shiny pretty chassis but another oem company sends some of the cheap parts that they charge a premium for with brand name?

I don't think so. Amps are generally very old technology. I think that the patent on virtually everything needed to make a good power amp expired a decade or more ago.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Arny have you got to go out and do more cool stuff with your hi fi club like see that speaker wire that magazine used in New york? Does your club go to ces and stuff like that also and big hi fi shows?
post #8 of 8 Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

Arny have you got to go out and do more cool stuff with your hi fi club like see that speaker wire that magazine used in New york?

I don't know what that is about. Please tell more!

I generally attend all of my club's meetings and functions, but there are occasional conflicts with some work I do for another charitable organization.
Quote:
Does your club go to ces and stuff like that also and big hi fi shows?

Club members attend CES and AES functions. I think that shows like the CES are far less significant due to the pervasiveness of the web. Attendance figures suggest that many agree with me.

The last big high end show I went to was HE2005 where I was a paid-for guest.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page