Marantz CD6004 HDCD decoding? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
marko7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Marantz CD6004. I would like to know whether it can decode HDCD discs (properly). Does anyone know?

Thanks
marko7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The marantz website says nothing about it so, I'm guessing no, it probably just reads HDCD as a 44.1/16 bit recording.
glangford is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Either in the owner's manual or on the cd player itself, there will be the HDCD logo.
JA Fant is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 371
When a player can't decode HDCD, it needs to be decoded in the receiver or pre/pro that it's connected to. Unfortunately, however, HDCD support seems to be unavailable in most current generation audio equipment. A few universal players, like those from Oppo, and some dedicated CD players can still decode it, but I don't know of any almost-reasonably-priced current model receiver or pre/pro that does, not even the top-of-the-line Marantz AV8801. frown.gif

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

When a player can't decode HDCD, it needs to be decoded in the receiver or pre/pro that it's connected to. Unfortunately, however, HDCD support seems to be unavailable in most current generation audio equipment. A few universal players, like those from Oppo, and some dedicated CD players can still decode it, but I don't know of any almost-reasonably-priced current model receiver or pre/pro that does, not even the top-of-the-line Marantz AV8801. frown.gif

It seems like one approach would be to decode the HDCD on a PC using a decoder program such as:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_hdcd

or

http://www.roomyshare.com/File/bfk808lao09pg#

and then burn a regular CD from it.
arnyk is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
SoNic67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That will do nothing good, since the 20 bit HDCD extension, burned on a CD will be truncated to 16 bit.

Now, true, some of the current HDCD recordings (like Lady Antebellum - Own The Night) don't use the range extension of HDCD, they record the CD trough HDCD mixer board just for the filters quality. But that is just a particular case, not the norm.

PS: Denon older top-line CD/DVD players and AVR's have also HDCD deconding.
SoNic67 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
IME, both older NAD & ROTEL gear had the most success w/ HDCD.
JA Fant is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

That will do nothing good, since the 20 bit HDCD extension, burned on a CD will be truncated to 16 bit.

Now, true, some of the current HDCD recordings (like Lady Antebellum - Own The Night) don't use the range extension of HDCD, they record the CD trough HDCD mixer board just for the filters quality. But that is just a particular case, not the norm.

PS: Denon older top-line CD/DVD players and AVR's have also HDCD deconding.

You've missed the point. Dithering HDCD recordings down to 16 bits can be easily predicted to do no sonic harm to them.

Ever heard of a level-matched DBT showing that HDCD actually made an audible difference with real world music?

Neither did I.
arnyk is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
But then why would he need to decode it and burn a regular cd? A regular cd player will still play the hdcd without decoding the extra 4 bits. The process you suggest is not necessary.
glangford is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

But then why would he need to decode it and burn a regular cd? A regular cd player will still play the hdcd without decoding the extra 4 bits. The process you suggest is not necessary.

The HDCD is not decoded exactly right when you play it on a regular CD player. What I'm suggesting is decode it exactly right, and then remove the low order bits in a way that preserves low level detail, which a Red Book player by definition can't do.
arnyk is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
SoNic67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The only way to decode it 'right' is to play on a HDCD enabled CD/DVD/AVR player. Like Denon DCM-380, DVD-2910, 2930, 3930, AVR-3805 from my collection (just an example)...
Sure, the best way is to use a player with the 'official' PCM100 filter, but those tend to be expensive today.

Foobar2000 can decode it from any wav or flac file but it is not known how accurate it is since kode54 didn't disclose how he got the algorithm. WMP can decode it from CD's only (and since MS owns the HDCD logo now so it might be correct). But running those via crappy internal on-board sound card is an exercise in futility.
SoNic67 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

The only way to decode it 'right' is to play on a HDCD enabled CD/DVD/AVR player. Like Denon DCM-380, DVD-2910, 2930, 3930, AVR-3805 from my collection (just an example)...
Sure, the best way is to use a player with the 'official' PCM100 filter, but those tend to be expensive today.

Foobar2000 can decode it from any wav or flac file but it is not known how accurate it is since kode54 didn't disclose how he got the algorithm. WMP can decode it from CD's only (and since MS owns the HDCD logo now so it might be correct). But running those via crappy internal on-board sound card is an exercise in futility.

The fallacy here is the idea that something has to be flawed if we don't know exactly how it works.

Now if you had a technical test or a reliable listening test to back up your claim...
arnyk is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
SoNic67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No, you have to prove that the unknown/reverse engineered source of that app is working as described by HDCD specs.

I don't need to prove the negative of something that you said in the first place.
SoNic67 is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off