Turntable help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hope this is the right forum....

I'm looking to pick up a turntable and don't want to spend a lot of money. I found this Audio Technica AT-LP60 for 64 bucks on Ebay and have heard good things. Would an older Technics SL-5 or SL-B10 sound much better? I won't be using a dedicated preamp. I'd love a Pro-Ject Audio Debut III but that's out of budget.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If you go on Amazon you can get one new for $72. It's okay for an inexpensive starter. Just don't expect to be overwhelmed. It is what it is a $72 TT.smile.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

If you go on Amazon you can get one new for $72. It's okay for an inexpensive starter. Just don't expect to be overwhelmed. It is what it is a $72 TT.smile.gif

True enough and it likely wouldn't be any better to go with an older Technics I'm guessing. I might just get it for now and if I like the sound, save for the Pro-Ject Debut III. Thanks!

post #4 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Going for used can be a crap shoot if you don't know what to look for. In the end it could cost you more than you want to spend. W/new you have a warranty plus a small investment in case the format is not for you. Good luck.smile.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Going for used can be a crap shoot if you don't know what to look for. In the end it could cost you more than you want to spend. W/new you have a warranty plus a small investment in case the format is not for you. Good luck.smile.gif

That's very true. I wish I knew other brands/models in the sub 150 range but with my ignorance on the subject and not many reviews out there on anything other than USB ones in that price range, it seems a bit of a crapshoot.

post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
I'm looking to pick up a turntable and don't want to spend a lot of money. I found this Audio Technica AT-LP60 for 64 bucks on Ebay and have heard good things. Would an older Technics SL-5 or SL-B10 sound much better? I won't be using a dedicated preamp. I'd love a Pro-Ject Audio Debut III but that's out of budget.
Why do you want a turntable? Do you already own a large vinyl collection? Or are you just getting started?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #7 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Why do you want a turntable? Do you already own a large vinyl collection? Or are you just getting started?

Just getting started really. I have a deep found respect for music and one of the fondest memories I have s a teenager was llistening to my moms Beatles albums in my room on this cheap plastic turntable with a built in mono speaker. I love the distinct sound they produce as well. I wouldn't even try to build a large collection - Maybe some Nine Inch Nails album's or The Postal Service. Mostly modern artists since classic bands I like are expensive as hell on Amazon.

Found an older Kenwood today at Goodwill for 20 bucks in great shape. Went o ask a sales lady if they can hold it because I wanted to check out another location just in case and she said they couldn't. I decided to go back and pick it up and sure enough in those two minutes there's a wool hat, black glasses, bearded 20 something hipster picking it up off the shelf frown.gif. I'd have just taken it with me when asked the lady but I had my sleeping daughter in my arms. Oh well. You snoozeyou lose.

post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Just getting started really.
My general advice to people in your shoes is, don't do it.. If you can't afford even $200 for a table, you can't afford enough in the way of records to make it worthwhile. Or if you must, buy a cheapo unit at a thrift shop, and buy your records there, too. Buying new vinyl at those prices is foolish.

If you had a set of records already that you wanted to hear again, I'd suggest stretching your budget a bit to an AT120. At least that will treat your records more kindly.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #9 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My general advice to people in your shoes is, don't do it.. If you can't afford even $200 for a table, you can't afford enough in the way of records to make it worthwhile. Or if you must, buy a cheapo unit at a thrift shop, and buy your records there, too. Buying new vinyl at those prices is foolish.

If you had a set of records already that you wanted to hear again, I'd suggest stretching your budget a bit to an AT120. At least that will treat your records more kindly.
I can definitely respect that. That's also why I was limiting myself to albums released recently given their price point of 23-30 dollars - The Black Keys, NIN, Postal Service, The Roots. I actually did some more research and may try the vintage route. I found a Technics SL-QD33 on EBay for a reasonable price and a SL-Q300 with a Pickering cartridge. (I know nothing about cartridges so I don't even know if that's good or not!) I figure it will be a learning experience for me and a small little side adventure in my quest to HT/Audio knowledge.

Having said that, any recommendation between those two Technics?

post #10 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I might just hold off until I can afford a Rega or Pro-Ject Audio or at the least an Audio Technica AT-LP120. With the whole "vintage" crowd, entry level Technics like the Q300 are selling for 60, 70 dollars on EBay. I'd rather save the extra bit and buy a more quality table or keep an eye out at local thrift shops. No point wasting the money if I'l just want something sexier in the next few months anyways.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Project Debut III's are excellent starter TT's. Basically plug and play. Sometimes it's best to wait and get something that has more quality. The constant upgrade game will cost you more in the end.smile.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I recently purchased a new Music Hall MMF 2.2LE. But it is an investment for sure. And what I've got is not considered a high end TT but rather a very good entry level model.

I agree that if you can't afford at least $200 to $300, it may not be worthwhile. Playing vinyl records costs bucks now days as the supply is limited and the cost is not cheap for quality vinyl records. Plus, you must take special care of vinyl if you want them to last and remain in excellent/good condition. It is what it is......a niche market. We are in the digital age and the old days are not returning.

But having said that, I am very pleased to see the growing interest in vinyl records after all these years. There are countless articles online that support the growing popularity of vinyl while the demand for CDs is continuing to decline with so many people effortlessly downloading music. I would find it hilarious (and pleasing) if we ever reach the point where the sales of vinyl overtake CDs!
post #13 of 14 Old 06-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

I might just hold off until I can afford a Rega or Pro-Ject Audio or at the least an Audio Technica AT-LP120. With the whole "vintage" crowd, entry level Technics like the Q300 are selling for 60, 70 dollars on EBay. I'd rather save the extra bit and buy a more quality table or keep an eye out at local thrift shops. No point wasting the money if I'l just want something sexier in the next few months anyways.

Another consideration (to keep in mind) if you decide to buy a TT, most modern AVRs don't have a built-in phono jack. Well, that is unless you buy one of the most expensive receivers with all the bells and whistles! That said, if you plan on hooking a turntable up to an AVR, keep in mind that you may also need to purchase a phono preamp (unless there is a built-in phono preamp on your TT or receiver).
post #14 of 14 Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Location: North of the Border, South of the Artic Circle (Ontario Canada)
Liked: 10
After bashing about in my mind the Audio Technica, the Riga and some other USB type models I actually just went to the local high end shop and looked at their trade ins..

Found a Dual 606 and I am tickled pink over it.. All in it was $162..

Found one ebay seller close to me who has over 300+ LPs on sale at any given time for $5 to $10 and we struck up a side conversation where he thinks the new Turntables are not comparable to the late 70's early 80's models.

I have a Denon 1917 which does not have a LP preamp but I solved that by using an old Yammy RX-330 phono in to Tape out to fix that..

Had it since the 2nd week of April and have done a few CD to LP tests and I am quite happy. Especially with the LPs from the early to mid 70's with the more substantial Vinyl.. Collection is up to 30+ LPs now.. 5 to 7 every few weeks..

It is also a toss up on straight Stereo and Pseudo surround.. The Denon does a really nice Pseudo surround on my LPs.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page