Advice about a <$350 CD player for Cambridge Audio 350A amp and a pair of paradigm atom monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if you guys could share your experience / advice about entry level CD players for this kind of a set up. The models I have been researching are the Onkyo C-7030, NAD C 515BEE, Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10, Marantz CD5004, and the Cambridge Audio Sonata CD30.

This is for a relative who does not like used gear so a used Oppo isn't really an option.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 321
All fine. All arguably overpriced for what they do. These days, basically anything with a laser in it can play a CD as well as a CD can be played. Buy the cheapest, or buy one of the Cambridge units to match the amp.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your input.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 440
If your relative uses digital connections, then just about any modern Blu-ray player would be fine as mcnarus pointed out. Some are quite inexpensive. Sony's BDP-S5100 isn't the cheapest (just over $100 U.S.) but it can play SACDs, too. Players with high quality analog connections tend to be quite a bit more expensive, unfortunately.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If your relative uses digital connections, then just about any modern Blu-ray player would be fine as mcnarus pointed out.
This misrepresents what I said. I did not limit my comments to digital connections. Not that digital connection is an option, given the amp it'll be connected to.
Quote:
Players with high quality analog connections tend to be quite a bit more expensive, unfortunately.
This is simply wrong.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 440
The Blu-ray players that I'm aware of which have high quality multichannel analog outputs are the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, which costs about $250 or slightly more, and the Oppo 103 and 105 players which cost $500 and $1000 respectively. I consider those prices to be considerably more than $100 or so.

There very well might be some Redbook CD players with quality stereo analog otuputs available at lower prices, but I really believe that limiting yourself to stereo when high quality multichannel audio is readily available is an unnecessary restriction of the enjoyment available to you. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind, but that isn't quite the sensory input used for this smile.gif

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Blu-ray players that I'm aware of which have high quality multichannel analog outputs
Defined how? Incapable of putting out Redbook-quality PCM?
Quote:
There very well might be some Redbook CD players with quality stereo analog otuputs available at lower prices, but I really believe that limiting yourself to stereo when high quality multichannel audio is readily available is an unnecessary restriction of the enjoyment available to you.
The OP asked for a CD player. There aren't too many multichannel CDs, least not that I know of. wink.gif

post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Quote:
The Blu-ray players that I'm aware of which have high quality multichannel analog outputs
Defined how? Incapable of putting out Redbook-quality PCM?

Defined as having more than two (L & R) analog outputs.

The commodity BD players have stereo analog outputs, with many good options in the ca. $100 range.

However as soon as you go for true multichannel analog outputs, the price jumps quite a bit.

Seems to me like for CD player replacement, the ca. $100 devices do their job since CD is defined as a 2 channel format.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page