Inexpensive CD Player with Internet Update Capabilities - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I currently own a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 which I use for Blu-Ray and CD playback. I have an Onkyo 818 receiver that this feeds into.

I am a tad frustrated with this setup because the tracks are all blank with no titles etc.

Any suggestions? I thought about ripping all my CD's to apple lossless and then just streaming them from my computer to the receiver...but was hoping there was something easier to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Newbie,
My guess is that the lack of album information is pretty common on disc players. The feature would be a cinch to provide, but I guess its asking too much. I purchased an LG Bluray model a couple of years ago that includes a built-in harddrive and CD information feature (gracie note), but the player cost over $200. I don't know whether that's a standard feature on the LG's.

If you decide to try streaming, your Panasonic won't stream Apple lossless files. It looks as if mp3 is your only option, if you're using Apple computers. PC users can also use wma (Windows Media Audio). The Panny does act as a DLNA renderer. I checked the user manual. As a rendering component, a smart phone or computer app can be used (media controller) to send files to the Player. The importance and benefit of the feature is that the controller devices sending the files will have a better feature set and graphical display than that offered by the Panasonic. For example, album art and playlists will be available. If this setup works well, it might be a blessing.

If you want to play uncompressed music files, then you'll probably want to look for something other than a BR player for the chore, and possibly need Ethernet connections to avoid dropped connections.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The oppo 103 has gracenote interface to obtain cover art, title and tracks. But you are looking at $500.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
All of the Sony BD players connect to Gracenote automatically when connected to the internet.
They also seamlessly stream from your network when using a freeware like PS3 Media Server.
Most have SACD capabilities as well.
The least expensive can be had for under 100 bucks.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page