Portable CD player or FLAC on iPhone. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gentlemen, I just purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones and would like to enjoy my music collection on the go. However right now all of my songs sound like crap when listening on the iPhone. My question is, should I bought a portable CD player or rip my whole music collection the the FLAC format on the iPhone?

I'm thinking it would just be easier just to purchase a portable CD player however I can only find one! It's like people don't even care anymore and love listening to MP3 files! The CD player I found was the Sony DEJ011 CD Walkman on Amazon. Anyone know if it's any good? It seems really basic and cheap especially to the Kenwood I had when growing up which had about two dozen features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk311 View Post

Gentlemen, I just purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones and would like to enjoy my music collection on the go. However right now all of my songs sound like crap when listening on the iPhone. My question is, should I bought a portable CD player or rip my whole music collection the the FLAC format on the iPhone?

I'm thinking it would just be easier just to purchase a portable CD player however I can only find one! It's like people don't even care anymore and love listening to MP3 files! The CD player I found was the Sony DEJ011 CD Walkman on Amazon. Anyone know if it's any good? It seems really basic and cheap especially to the Kenwood I had when growing up which had about two dozen features.

Portable CD players are pretty passe'.

The first question is - what's wrong with your iPhone? They are supposed to sound pretty good:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

"Confirming what I hear with critical listening, the iPhone 5 is a wonderful high-fidelity audio source. While publications funded mostly by advertisements from makers of expensive cables, power conditioners and outboard DACs don't want you to know this, the iPhone 5 is a better audio source than most DACs will be when connected to a computer or CD transport. The only difference is that the iPhone has a level 6 dB lower than a proper CD player, but the iPhone still has more output at 1 V full-scale than some outboard audiophile DACs! (Stereophile wrote that "The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players" back when the iPod first came out and was only considered as a toy and not as a better player than most of the exotic fluff gear out today.)"

Since the iPhone has pretty good sound quality as a reproducer, that leaves the quality of your audio files as the remaining unknown variable.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

What bit rate do you have them ripped at? If the default 128, yea they can sound better. Rerip to apple lossless and put on your iphone, problem solved.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

What bit rate do you have them ripped at? If the default 128, yea they can sound better. Rerip to apple lossless and put on your iphone, problem solved.

^^^^ +1

Iphone and itunes supports ALAC (apple lossless) not FLAC, but both are lossless formats so if you rip from CD, they'll sound the same as the original CD.

The AT headphones are pretty efficient, so power shouldn't be a problem. If you find the built in headphone amp to be inadequate after converting your CDs, there are lots of external headphone amps ranging from little clip on remotes to iphone sized bricks.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What software do I need to rip the CD and put it on my iPhone for the best quality?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

What software do I need to rip the CD and put it on my iPhone for the best quality?

itunes is fine. Set import settings to apple lossless
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page