newbie turntable> cd player question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, hoping someone could help me as im not really in the know about this kind of thing

so i have a stanton T62 turntable, i want to connect this to a panasonic SA PM11 cd player/speakers, i plug it in with the RCA cables to the aux input of the panasonic, i have to turn the volume all the way up to get a good volume out of it, its listenable but sounds slightly tinny and cant hear much bass.
I looked online and read that i needed a phono preamp, so i bought a cheapish one for £18, it has 2 inputs, a Aux input and a phono input and the output as well, when i connect the turntable to the phono input on the preamp and the output to the cd player, there is no sound at all, however if i plug the turntable into the aux input on the preamp and then to the cd player, it is pretty much the same as it was before using the preamp.

Am i doing something wrong, id assume i needed to plug into the phono input on the preamp because my cd player only has aux but nothing happens, do i need the preamp or is it pointless?
am i going to have to buy a separate amp and speakers to get any decent sound out of this thing? i can put up with the sound as its not bad but would like to be able to increase volume/bass if possible?

any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
when i connect the turntable to the phono input on the preamp and the output to the cd player, there is no sound at all, however if i plug the turntable into the aux input on the preamp and then to the cd player, it is pretty much the same as it was before using the preamp.
You're on the right track. You do need a phono preamp, and you do want to plug it into the phono input. The problem seems to be that the phono preamp you bought is defective. Return it, and maybe try a different one.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, i thought i was along the right lines, any suggestions for a better preamp then, im willing to spend more if its going to work, budget of £50-£80

http://www.dougbradyhifi.com/p-570-project-phono-box-mm-phono-stage-preamplifier-black.aspx

found this ones, are these a better choice?

http://www.dougbradyhifi.com/p-571-project-phono-box-ii-mmmc-phono-stage-preamplifier-black.aspx

thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't necessarily need a better phono preamp. You just need one that works. I presume you have a moving magnet cartridge, so you do not need to spend extra for a moving coil preamp. The cheaper Pro-Ject, if it's in your budget, is a good choice.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, i bought a different preamp for £22 before spending a larger amount and its done the job, works pretty well, thanks for the help smile.gif, i will be sending the other piece of junk back
post #6 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Good move.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page