Do music CD's have a set volume level for each soundtrack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was wondering today if music CD's have a preset volume level already set in the soundtracks audio. I was thinking about this when I wanted to set my PS3 (which is my main CD player) to have all music on one audio level, i.e Dynamic Range Control.

Or is there no volume level already set in the disc and that is purely up to your system to set the volume?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Audio CDs do not have a pre-set volume or consistent average volume levels. The only consistency is in the maximum volume level that can be encoded.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I think I get what your saying smile.gif

Would it be ok using the dynamic range option for audio at all? Its an option to have all the audio from music on the same level, but I have always turned it off thinking that I would lose some sound quality from the discs if turn it on, am I right in saying that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The dynamic range option is referred to as "compression" in some circles. It raises the volume of quiet portions of the track to match the volume of the loud portions, thereby "compressing" the dynamics of the music. This will make sudden loud passages less jarring (like cannon fire in the 1812 Overture), but does reduce the overall quality of the sound.

A better option is to use the volume control. Or rip all of your CDs, add Replaygain information to the files, and then play them back with a device (like Logitech Squeezebox) that can use the Replaygain tags to adjust the volume on the fly.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
You're not after DRC but volume normalization, both are found in modern receivers. They're not the same. Your PS3 presumably is connected to a receiver already. If you listen to pop music a lot is already much DRC'ed at high mean level if not clipped.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I was wondering today if music CD's have a preset volume level already set in the soundtracks audio. I was thinking about this when I wanted to set my PS3 (which is my main CD player) to have all music on one audio level, i.e Dynamic Range Control.

Or is there no volume level already set in the disc and that is purely up to your system to set the volume?

CD tracks are what they are and their levels are set and cast into polycarbonate when they are made. It is up to the engineer that mastered the CD to set the levels for each track.

Your system volume setting is your only recourse on a regular audio system.

Their are computer music player software and portable music players that use scheme(s) such as the one called "Replaygain" to provide some flexibility.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I see, thanks guys. I,ll keep the DRC off still, even if some are louder than other (well I think some are louder than others smile.gif ) sound quality all the way for me.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I see, thanks guys. I,ll keep the DRC off still, even if some are louder than other (well I think some are louder than others smile.gif ) sound quality all the way for me.

Some are definitely louder than others, it is all due to the mastering.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page