Bad CD Player ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I wonder if anyone has ever had a CD Player or CD Jukebox "go bad" on them before ?
I have an older Pioneer 300 some disc CD Changer in a system, and 3 pairs of different speakers, several receivers, and amps have all sounded bright, hard, and shouty on many female voice cuts.
Jewell's voice on the cut Foolish Games gets hard and shouty, as does the female singer Brandy my Son listens to.

I have a new CD Player ordered, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a CD Player or Changer "go bad" on them, aND CAUSE EXCESSIVE hardness on the female voice ?

It is not the CD Changers Internal DAC's, because even when I go out of the CD Changer with a digital iine into an external DAC, the problem is still there!

Any thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the song by Jewell, where her voice gets really hard to listen to from 2.50 - 3.20 of the video.
I have Fostex Near Field Monitors hooked up to my computer, and she sounds much better then she does on my system with the Pioneer CD Changer I suspect may be bad
post #3 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are you sure it is not something else like the speakers? Dou you have a tuner where you could listen to radio or something?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysay View Post

Are you sure it is not something else like the speakers? Dou you have a tuner where you could listen to radio or something?

My system sounds fine on movies, radio, or TV.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post

I wonder if anyone has ever had a CD Player or CD Jukebox "go bad" on them before ?

Yes, there is a trail of dead CD players behind me. ;-)

The first to die was a low-serial-numbered CDP 101, one of the very first CD players sold in my area. I think it lasted 7 years.
Quote:
I have an older Pioneer 300 some disc CD Changer in a system, and 3 pairs of different speakers, several receivers, and amps have all sounded bright, hard, and shouty on many female voice cuts.Jewell's voice on the cut Foolish Games gets hard and shouty, as does the female singer Brandy my Son listens to.

I have a new CD Player ordered, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a CD Player or Changer "go bad" on them, aND CAUSE EXCESSIVE hardness on the female voice ?

Can't say that I've ever experienced that.

The usual CD player death song involves problems tracking or loading discs.
Quote:
It is not the CD Changers Internal DAC's, because even when I go out of the CD Changer with a digital iine into an external DAC, the problem is still there!

I think that the problem has laid itself at your feet. Either the hardness is in the digital domain, and perhaps related to subtle disc tracking problems, or the problem is with other parts of the system, probably the spectral balance of the electroacoustic transducers - namely the speakers.

How does this player sound with other speakers or good headphones?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The first to die was a low-serial-numbered CDP 101, one of the very first CD players sold in my area. I think it lasted 7 years.

I think that the problem has laid itself at your feet. Either the hardness is in the digital domain, and perhaps related to subtle disc tracking problems, or the problem is with other parts of the system, probably the spectral balance of the electroacoustic transducers - namely the speakers.

I have used it on 3 sets of speakers, same with all of them, never tried it with headphones.

I have a new player coming soon, but I have heard stories that if the laser is mistracking, it can produce a hard sound.
The player actually tracks very poorly, and discs that have played fine on other systems seem to always skip, like they are scratched in my player, though they are not.

On TV and FM, the speakers are fine
post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have used it on 3 sets of speakers, same with all of them, never tried it with headphones.

I have a new player coming soon, but I have heard stories that if the laser is mistracking, it can produce a hard sound.
The player actually tracks very poorly, and discs that have played fine on other systems seem to always skip, like they are scratched in my player, though they are not.

On TV and FM, the speakers are fine

IME TV and FM are sources that very often seem to have a few veils stretched in front of them. While my system sounds OK with them, CD, BD, and digital files are my preferred sources and the ones I use to make final judgement.

Given that one can obtain great-sounding BD players and change from $150 there is no reason not to replace a player that is mistracking.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

IME TV and FM are sources that very often seem to have a few veils stretched in front of them. While my system sounds OK with them, CD, BD, and digital files are my preferred sources and the ones I use to make final judgement.

Given that one can obtain great-sounding BD players and change from $150 there is no reason not to replace a player that is mistracking.
The replacement player will be here soon. I am just wondering if a CD player can sound bad, because it goes out of whack, if it can still play the disc w/o skipping ?
I guess I will find out shortly ?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like a poorly mastered CD. If it were the player, wouldn't it sound bright on all cd's? And why only female vocals??
post #10 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

The replacement player will be here soon. I am just wondering if a CD player can sound bad, because it goes out of whack, if it can still play the disc w/o skipping ?

There are a lot of different things that go wrong with a CD player that have nothing to do with tracking. For example I have a CD player whose analog outputs lost their ability to reproduce bass because some coupling capacitors lost considerable amounts of capacitance, which is not unusual. As long as I use its digital output, it sounds great.
Quote:

Hopefully.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 10

I know this thread is a little old now but today I searched the exact same problem and found this site so thought I would inform others of my problem also..

I have anSONY CDP-XB 920 QS which has strangely also lost it's bass and become thin and splashy. Up until last year or so the player was sounding excellent with powerful rhythmic bass lines and smooth clean treble. It has always been connected to my amp with an optical lead so it's basically using the better DAC in the amp but over the last year or 2 the bass has been getting weaker and weaker and the treble too over-bright sounding. I know it IS the Sony as when I play the same CD through my Blu-ray player the bass is great.

I also suspected weak or dry caps but I don't use the analogue stage just the digital output.

The player is about 9 years old and has a new laser unit fitted about 2 years ago. So if anyone can shed any light on why this could be happening I would be grateful. I'm pretty sure a new SONY Laser unit wouldn't cause this but I'm open to any suggestions.

Just a note on the original askers question: the track above sounds perfect through my pc speakers with no harshness. (Creative G500-THX and ASUS XONAR DSX sound card)

post #12 of 13 Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

I have an older Pioneer 300 some disc CD Changer in a system, and 3 pairs of different speakers, several receivers, and amps have all sounded bright, hard, and shouty on many female voice cuts.
Jewell's voice on the cut Foolish Games gets hard and shouty, as does the female singer Brandy my Son listens to.

Any thoughts ?

That all results from hearing bias and preference and differences in the way music is recorded, mixed and mastered. If a D/A converter is operating, then it will convert all the data the way it should. It doesn't have any way to single out a female voice.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

It is definately possible for a CD player to go bad and deliver poor sound for reasons other than skipping.

I had a Sony CD player that started to sound thin though its analog outputs after less than 3 years. A trip to the test bench told the whole story. The "Audiophile" output coupling caps (the word was written on the side of the parts!) on the analog outputs dried out and the bass was rolled off below 100 Hz. The digital output was just fine and we were able to switch over to using it.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page