Getting a new Turntable. Have surround setup. Need advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pardon my inexperience, and I hope I am posting in the right forum. Wondering if you guys can help me.

I'm about to purchase a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (my first TT), and I am also installing the Take Classic 5.0 with a JBL ES250P Sub and a Marantz NR1403. I am setting this up for movies and music in the living room, but as far as the TT is concerned, what's the optimal setup here? Will I need an integrated stereo amp/preamp or will just a preamp be good enough for stereo through the receiver? Will it sound good? Any opinions or advice would be very helpful.

Also, if you think a preamp is good enough, do any of you have suggestions for a good phono preamp that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 15
The setup should be TT to phono preamp to a two channel input on your receiver/processor. The phono pre amp is mostly dependent on the cartridge you select- MM/MC/ output, this could be the key to getting the most out of your setup.

Norm
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The Bellari VP-29 is excellent for under $100. You may also for a little more look at the NAD PP-1 or the entry level pro-ject phonos.smile.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The AVR will do a good job, so no need for a separate amp. A basic phono pre-amp is all you need. I use the $50 Art DJ-pre II with my Project Debut III and it works very well. Ugly as hell, but it has some nice features like adjustable gain with clipping warning. If you want to rip your albums, I'd spring for the $80 Art USB phono plus. The project phono preamps are another good option. They're a nice step up in overall quality and sound great, but they're more bare bones and cost a bit more.

You'll almost certainly be using a MM cartridge with this TT , so MC compatibility is not so important. MC cartridges won't work with the steel platter, and even if you get the acrylic platter upgrade, most MC carts are probably overkill for an entry level TT like the Carbon.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I read somewhere that bypassing the receiver with a dedicated integrated amp would be better for stereo from the TT. While this is probably true, it seems unnecessary.

I'll be leaving the 2M Red that it comes with to start off for a while. Will that pair well with the preamps you suggested?

Looking at the speed box as my first upgrade, since it seems like that is a good first step up for sound quality/accuracy. In your opinion, should I just get it with the TT, or wait a while and see? I'm not too keen on the whole thing being upwards of $600 at once...does it sound logical to wait until the cartridge is at least broken in?

Lastly (I know I'm all over the place here), do I need to pick up a Sure weight gauge, or will everything it comes with be enough to balance the tone arm and setup?

Ps thanks for the great info guys.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I used a 2M Blue w/the NAD pp-1 and I got excellent results. All the phonos mentioned should be fine. Considering your arm is a low mass variety you should stick w/a MM cart. Tonearm compliance is critical in matching up the correct cart w/tonearm. In your case the arm is just 6g. Way to light for a MC. The 2M red is an excellent cart for this TT. Give it about 50hrs. of break in. Also don't forget a brush and cleaning supplies for your records.smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruck7 View Post

I'll be leaving the 2M Red that it comes with to start off for a while. Will that pair well with the preamps you suggested?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Red. I have a Sumiko pearl through a happy accident (my stock cart was broken when I got it, and Crutchfield didnt' have a replacement, so they gave me an upgraded cart - I didn't complain). The pearl is a big upgrade over the OM-5E that came with the Debut III, and I've heard the red is at least as good, if not better than the Pearl. Should pair well with any quality preamp.
Quote:
Looking at the speed box as my first upgrade, since it seems like that is a good first step up for sound quality/accuracy. In your opinion, should I just get it with the TT, or wait a while and see? I'm not too keen on the whole thing being upwards of $600 at once...does it sound logical to wait until the cartridge is at least broken in?

I'd wait and see, but I've also heard nothing but good things. I like my Debut III fine without it, but it's first on my list of upgrades when the time comes. There are lots of others who think its essential, and think that the speed control on the TT is crap without it. You certainly wouldn't be wasting your money if you do decide you want it right away.
Quote:
Lastly (I know I'm all over the place here), do I need to pick up a Sure weight gauge, or will everything it comes with be enough to balance the tone arm and setup?

Couldn't hurt, but it's not necessary. The weight gauge will be more accurate than the plastic ring that comes with the counterweight, but you'll still be able to dial in the counterweight fairly accurately without the weight gauge. Just get the tonearm balanced, dial the ring to 0.0, and turn the counterweight until it reads the correct setting for your cart. The instructions are pretty good and setup is about as easy as a belt drive TT can be.

Enjoy!

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page