Olive One - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #91 of 166 Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've been trying to find some more info about the olive one. I have an Olive 3HD. I know that it uses some weird proprietary file system and that I can't transfer my library from the 3HD to, say, my computer. However, does anyone know if I'll be able to transfer it somehow from the 3HD to the Olive one? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 166 Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daroosta View Post

I know that it uses some weird proprietary file system and that I can't transfer my library from the 3HD to, say, my computer.
Quick question : can you transfert your (flac) albums to your 3HD from your computer using LAN or Wifi ?
thx
John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 166 Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post

Quick question : can you transfert your (flac) albums to your 3HD from your computer using LAN or Wifi ?
thx
John

There's an import folder where I can drag and drop anything I want to transfer from my PC to the Olive. Then the Olive converts them and stores them automatically.
post #94 of 166 Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Daroosta,
I've pre-ordered Olive One today. I'm planning to add one 256GB low cost SSD within to store my Flac CD collection smile.gif
Hope I will not have to wait too much to be able to play with it wink.gif
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 166 Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, I've been trying to find some more info about the olive one. I have an Olive 3HD. I know that it uses some weird proprietary file system and that I can't transfer my library from the 3HD to, say, my computer. However, does anyone know if I'll be able to transfer it somehow from the 3HD to the Olive one? Thanks.

Anyone?

It seems like a very important question for current Olive owners. I'm amazed that I emailed olive directly about this a couple of weeks ago and they haven't replied. For the time being, I don't have enough confidence in them to pre-order the olive one, I'm afraid.
post #96 of 166 Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

It seems like a very important question for current Olive owners. I'm amazed that I emailed olive directly about this a couple of weeks ago and they haven't replied. For the time being, I don't have enough confidence in them to pre-order the olive one, I'm afraid.

Ok they eventually replied and it can be done. They pointed me to some software that allows me to back up my old olive library and then copy it onto the new Olove 1.

I have also been told the olive 1 will be with me in march.
post #97 of 166 Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have also been told the olive 1 will be with me in march.
Yes, My olive One is scheduled to be at home beginning of march too.
John

post #98 of 166 Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll believe it when I see it.........
MAJORAE likes this.
post #99 of 166 Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Liked: 12
This is from the comments section of their Indigogo page yesterday:

Olive Media Inc.

Hey everybody,

it’s been a long wait and we really appreciate your patience. The good news is that the manufacturing of the Olive ONE is in full swing and we have posted a short update with videos and pictures at https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com (in the NEWS section). With the help of our beta testers (thanks!!!!) we are currently finishing up the software of the Olive ONE and plan to ship orders by end of March.

As always you can check out the progress we make with the software in the Zendesk forum, which we update on a weekly basis. The last software update was just released yesterday.

We have also posted a quick start guide that will be included with your ONE.

More to come soon!

P.S. To our Indiegogo supporters: We will finally send out your order confirmation and you should receive an email by beginning of next week. Please look at the email carefully and make sure the shipping address and other details are correct. Thanks!
post #100 of 166 Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have to say, this thing looks pretty cool. Very tempted to order one but I think I'll wait until people here get theirs and give some impressions.
post #101 of 166 Old 03-05-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I am having a hard time with the idea of moving away from my laptop/airplay. All my family knows how to use it already and I like to able to edit my collection without pulling out another device. The beauty of a simple device is appealing however, so devices like the ONE continue to something I investigate.

I need a device that will do multi-artist and multi-genre delimiting with ; or & symbols. Any device that doesn't do this (including sonos and ipad) are still crap for me.

Blazar!
post #102 of 166 Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post

I have to say, this thing looks pretty cool. Very tempted to order one but I think I'll wait until people here get theirs and give some impressions.

I'm going to wait till they actually have been shipping them for a couple of months to get the kinks out of the hardware and software. Hopefully by Fathers Day smile.gif
post #103 of 166 Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Hi,

Sorry for a bit of spammage, but I'm listing my place in line at Indiegogo: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523629/olive-one-media-streamer

Hope this is ok.

Cheers,
-H
post #104 of 166 Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM

Liked: 17
Has anyone gotten their One yet? I am trying to convince the Olive people that I paid the shipping last July. My PayPal receipts seem to be going into oblivion and no human is looking at them or acting upon them
post #105 of 166 Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
sorry to say this but the olive one is very much in the vapourware category for me now ! gave up waiting and picked a sony hap-s1 instead. does all I want...and atleast the kind of thing could just go in the shop and pickup get it home and get going...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #106 of 166 Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 17
I have seen the review of the Sony unit and those same thoughts went through my mind. Sure seems like something that is setting the bar for Olive.
post #107 of 166 Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

sorry to say this but the olive one is very much in the vapourware category for me now ! gave up waiting and picked a sony hap-s1 instead. does all I want...and atleast the kind of thing could just go in the shop and pickup get it home and get going...

It seems the Olive One is shipping (of course the post was dated April 1, or April Fools Day in the US)
from
https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201440844-April-1-2014-The-first-ONEs-are-on-their-way

>>>>>>>>>
"Hello everyone,

The first batch of products have been assembled, packaged and shipped to our customers. After the many delays we understand that everyone is eager to get their ONE quickly and we are currently optimizing assembly processes to maximize output and ship as many products as quickly as possible.

The actual shipping date of your ONE will depend on the date & time in which we have received your original order. To be fair with everyone we are shipping orders prioritized by order date, so customers that have ordered early in the campaign will get their products first. You will receive an email with a tracking number once your ONE has shipped.

On a side note: We still have quite a few orders with open balances so please get in touch with our accounting department (accounting [at] myoliveone.com) as soon as possible if you have received an invoice that shows an amount due.

Thanks so much for staying loyal to this project for such a long time. We hope you enjoy your ONE and look forward to your feedback.

>>>>>>>>>>
post #108 of 166 Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM

I keep poking around to see if anyone actually has one yet and can comment on whether or not they like it. I'm cautiously optimistic... but there are a few features that I really hope get implemented, like both analog and digital out at the same time... and volume control for digital outputs (yes, I know that one loses bits, but I'll give that up for some convenience at times.)

post #109 of 166 Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post

It seems the Olive One is shipping (of course the post was dated April 1, or April Fools Day in the US)
from
https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201440844-April-1-2014-The-first-ONEs-are-on-their-way

>>>>>>>>>
"Hello everyone,

The first batch of products have been assembled, packaged and shipped to our customers. After the many delays we understand that everyone is eager to get their ONE quickly and we are currently optimizing assembly processes to maximize output and ship as many products as quickly as possible.

The actual shipping date of your ONE will depend on the date & time in which we have received your original order. To be fair with everyone we are shipping orders prioritized by order date, so customers that have ordered early in the campaign will get their products first. You will receive an email with a tracking number once your ONE has shipped.

On a side note: We still have quite a few orders with open balances so please get in touch with our accounting department (accounting [at] myoliveone.com) as soon as possible if you have received an invoice that shows an amount due.

Thanks so much for staying loyal to this project for such a long time. We hope you enjoy your ONE and look forward to your feedback.

>>>>>>>>>>

I was part of the indiegogo campaign for ONE (2012?), but as soon they closed the campaign, they started changing the tune... They got (500K) double from the initial funding goal, but they dropped all promises of double the HD, etc. Their excuse was "unforseen costs" .
I complained to Indiegogo, they passed the monkey to Olive; To my demise, Indiiegogo changed the content on their campaign microsite (ONE campaign) removing the promise of a double HD, they remove all tracks, unbelievable!!. That was the queue for me, I asked for my money back on the basis that if they can change their mind, so do I. After many iterations, I got my money back from Olive. Based on the comments I am seeing here, I am glad I got it back.
post #110 of 166 Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I backed out also based on them continually changing specifications. Cant believe this has still not got any reviews out there yet.

post #111 of 166 Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 369
so it has been over a year I signed up with Indiegogo for the Olive One and paid $500.00

http://landing.indiegogo.com/indiegogo-basics/?r=adw_www_us_0000_adw00004_000000gg_002_2000_indigogo&gclid=CKbi19b_nL4CFUuXOgodKj4ABw

in the meantime support of the original Olive Music server has been cut off and even the IOS app has been removed: all of us who invested in the music server have been, well, screwed:look here

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/2940#post_24697174

Where is this product? where is the support?

I feel betrayed....
post #112 of 166 Old 05-08-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

so it has been over a year I signed up with Indiegogo for the Olive One and paid $500.00

http://landing.indiegogo.com/indiegogo-basics/?r=adw_www_us_0000_adw00004_000000gg_002_2000_indigogo&gclid=CKbi19b_nL4CFUuXOgodKj4ABw

in the meantime support of the original Olive Music server has been cut off and even the IOS app has been removed: all of us who invested in the music server have been, well, screwed:look here

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091695/official-olive-thread-opus-4-opus-6-melody-2-olive-2-olive-4-4hd-06hd/2940#post_24697174

Where is this product? where is the support?

I feel betrayed....

Hi Mark -
The support is definitely gone for the existing Olives. I check the Olive 'Zendesk' site periodically.
Here is an update form two days ago:

" May 6, 2014
Hello everybody,

As some of you might know already from our Indiegogo and Zendesk posts, early shipments of the Olive ONE player have begun. A few users have already reported on Zendesk that they have received their Olive ONEs and we have asked them to post some short reviews.

The Olive ONE is sounding great, and proving to be a great performance value, but the final manufacturing process of the ONE’s metal enclosure has proven to be quite challenging and requires a large amount of post-processing to achieve the Class A cosmetic finish specified for the ONE. We’ve had to change the composition of the enclosure’s aluminum alloy, and casting method, and are doing some post-casting tooling to achieve a perfectly smooth surface to apply the cosmetic finish.

The longer process restricts us to shipping a little more than 100 units a week, which is short of our target so we have qualified a second company for the post-processing, which will boost our output to 500 units per week by the end of May. With the current order backlog (Indiegogo contributions and prepaid online store orders) we plan to have shipped all orders by mid of June. We will send out a personal email to each supporter next week with an estimated shipping date. (Note: If you have not yet emailed us your phone number for the DHL shipping paperwork please send it to Jade [at] myoliveone.com)."

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201896324-May-6-2014-Manufacturing-Shipping-update

Not searching the web to see if anyone has reported on the Olive One.

FYI
post #113 of 166 Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM

OK, I did check on the zendesk site for Olive ONE reviews, and here is a "confirmed" sighting:

"I got the ONE with 2TB
setup was simple
the ONE is connected via analog out to my receiver, which is connected to my Wharfedale Opus 1 speakers (bi-wired)
I play music from the ONE's hard drive and from my QNAP
copying of my music to the hard drive took some time, but was simple
the physical appearance of the Olive ONE is very very nice
the LCD is beautiful as well
the unit does not run hot, even after long periods of playback
the sound quality is very good (don't have "golden ears", but can tell).
the included HD music sounds amazing, wonder where I can get more (Olive?)
have not been able to get the Android app to work, but hopefully that is resolved soon"

from Harald, an Olive ONE owner.
post #114 of 166 Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Liked: 15
I got one too. I was one of the first backers (first 10) and got my One last week. I was really angry about the loss of transparency Olive showed and I'm just happy to have it now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm from Germany and have been active in the other AVS Olive forum ("Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD"). I own three Olive 4's and two Olive 2's (+One).
markrubin likes this.
post #115 of 166 Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 369
^^^^

Please do give us your impressions of the One: I was one of the early backers too and hope to receive mine soon.

I sold my 06HD due to a lack of support by Olive but I am looking forward to see if their new product can restore some confidence in the company.
post #116 of 166 Old 05-13-2014, 01:39 PM

Hello Mark and others,
the most important fact at first. The sound of the One is good. Of course this judgement depends on the expectations and the hardware which is combined with the One. From my perspective there is no loss in quality if you compare to other sources, but I have to enhance that I don’t have „golden ears“. I use the digital out of the One, which is combined with an M2tech Young (+Palmer Battery) and plugged into an Audionet Sam V2. My speakers „Sehring 703SE“ are from a little company in Berlin. From my point of view my entire system puts more emphasis on a realistic, most likely „analytic“ reproduction. I know that highfidelity enthusiasts do not like my description but I hope you can imagine what I mean. I don’t have the equipment to do a fair comparision between the sources I own, so it’s subjective. I compared with my Olive 4 (not 4hd) and with my iPod classic (digital out through Onkyo ND-S1, so the DAC of the iPod is disabled) and my Audionet Art V2 CD-Player. I can’t hear any difference while comparing for a few hours. The tracks are stored as Apple Lossless (I tried mp3-files, 320kbits, with analogue results), the metadata are edited with „mp3tag“.
The One is stable so far, intuitive in use. There are no major bugs like in the firmware versions of my older Olives. The touch sensibility is not as good as the iPad’s one, but better than the one the Olive 4 offers, the covers are clear (again not as impressive as on an iPad). The reaction is fast, the processor is obviously faster than the older ones (I never used a Olive 6hd). The search function is fast as far as I used it.
The metadata of the stored files cannot be edited through the One so far (planned later), it’s better be checked before transfered. If you like to delete an album, you can do it directly or delete the folder in the smb folder „My Olive Music“. The entire transfer process is much easier and faster than with my older Olives.
I checked the 3,5mm analog out for headphones (with Audeze LCD-2, AKG K701). It sounds good but my Violectric HPA-V200 makes it better – in this case I can hear a fundamental difference – the sound is much more full and clear. No wonder – the price of the headphone amplifier is higher than the price of the Olive One.
An essential difference since the One is released seems to be the support (just the first months?). Everything I asked was answered within 24 hours, most questions within two hours. As I noticed the negative experiences made by many of the forum members here with their support this is remarkable.
Feel free to ask more specific!
Kind regards from Germany!
post #117 of 166 Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

post #118 of 166 Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your report fuerstmyschkin,

I'm not planning to add a HDD inside the One to fill it with my 500GB Flac music but rather use my Synology NAS as the source for the One.
This little player looks like very convenient for everyday family usage (including wife/kids).

Hope I can get my One before end of June, can't wait !
Anyway, I'm not in the first backers, I've only ordered it in the beginning of this year frown.gif I should learn patience rolleyes.gif

John

post #119 of 166 Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, thanks for your report fuerstmyschkin.
post #120 of 166 Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the report, I hope that others who have them will report in as well. I certainly will. They are saying mid-june shipping for mine.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page