Olive One - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 156 Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Member
 
carfanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
With the various threads on the issues w/support on the older Olive models, and all the delays in getting the One to market, I am struggling to understand why anyone would want the Olive One over the many other options. Like...putting music on a NAS and using a PC and JRiver to play tunes. Can someone enlighten me?
markrubin likes this.
carfanm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 156 Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Member
 
jdjaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nth-Central NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanm View Post
With the various threads on the issues w/support on the older Olive models, and all the delays in getting the One to market, I am struggling to understand why anyone would want the Olive One over the many other options. Like...putting music on a NAS and using a PC and JRiver to play tunes. Can someone enlighten me?
I am hoping for a stand alone device that fits on my stereo rack and has/does:

A hard drive to store and playback my ALAC & FLAC files
Can be controlled easily via a tablet or smart phone
Supports playlists
Has built in wifi and internet radio apps: Pandora, Spotify etc
Has Bluetooth (optional)
Has both RCA L/R and digital audio outputs
Coats less than $1000

I'm still rooting for the Olive One, but I am open to other options:
Modded Mac mini?
Apple Fire TV with USB hard drive?
Cambridge Audio stream magic?

Anyone have other suggestions?
jdjaye is offline  
post #123 of 156 Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Member
 
clpetersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
I am hoping for a stand alone device that fits on my stereo rack and has/does:

A hard drive to store and playback my ALAC & FLAC files
Can be controlled easily via a tablet or smart phone
Supports playlists
Has built in wifi and internet radio apps: Pandora, Spotify etc
Has Bluetooth (optional)
Has both RCA L/R and digital audio outputs
Coats less than $1000

I'm still rooting for the Olive One, but I am open to other options:
Modded Mac mini?
Apple Fire TV with USB hard drive?
Cambridge Audio stream magic?

Anyone have other suggestions?

Look into BlueSound by NAD. The 'vault' meets all your needs above, except Bluetooth.

Bluesound has a family of devices so it can easily be expanded as needed (multi room, etc.). Very active user forum.
clpetersen is offline  
post #124 of 156 Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I sent an inquiry to Olive One asking about the status of my order: they responded quickly and said my Olive One would ship Monday and they will provide a tracking number....we shall see: they did not specify which Monday...
Spizz likes this.

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
markrubin is online now  
post #125 of 156 Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 AM
Member
 
jdjaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nth-Central NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which Monday indeed -LoL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I sent an inquiry to Olive One asking about the status of my order: they responded quickly and said my Olive One would ship Monday and they will provide a tracking number....we shall see: they did not specify which Monday...
Boy- I hope that happens! And that you love it, of course.

I Think the question is at this point is if they have enough resources to write a decent 1.1 software version that fixes the inevitable bugs that come in a first release plus pick up any critical features that have missed, eg, true headless operation via iOS/android.

Ps. I'm in Nth Central, and I'd love to come down with a bottle of wine and a DO pie to play with your Olive for an hour or so after you get it settled in. I'll PM you.
jdjaye is offline  
post #126 of 156 Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Member
 
carfanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm hoping you get it also - I look forward to what you think about it.
carfanm is offline  
post #127 of 156 Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnHWman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: France
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I sent an inquiry to Olive One asking about the status of my order: they responded quickly and said my Olive One would ship Monday and they will provide a tracking number....we shall see: they did not specify which Monday...
I've got my DHL tracking number last saturday as well. My Olive One should be there this week
I had just 5 months of wait from my order (end of january 2014) : not bad after all ...

John
carfanm likes this.

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !
JohnHWman is online now  
post #128 of 156 Old 06-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Member
 
carfanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
I am hoping for a stand alone device that fits on my stereo rack and has/does...
Anyone have other suggestions?

You didn't spec out sound quality aspects, but if you are OK w/Sonos limitation on what it can handle - it's a great solution for most of what you state. Combine that with a Western Digital Hard Drive as a NAS, and rip any CD-based music (or download from the net) to it, and the Sonos Connect will play it fine - along with all the various internet sources you mention. And, if you run a line in to it, you can also play whatever goes into that line in (such as a CD player, a STB, or any other RCA input).


And the users interface is outstanding and it's controllable by any Smartphone or Tablet.
jdjaye likes this.
carfanm is offline  
post #129 of 156 Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Member
 
jdjaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nth-Central NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Excellent suggestion- Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanm View Post
You didn't spec out sound quality aspects, but if you are OK w/Sonos limitation on what it can handle - it's a great solution for most of what you state. Combine that with a Western Digital Hard Drive as a NAS, and rip any CD-based music (or download from the net) to it, and the Sonos Connect will play it fine - along with all the various internet sources you mention. And, if you run a line in to it, you can also play whatever goes into that line in (such as a CD player, a STB, or any other RCA input).


And the users interface is outstanding and it's controllable by any Smartphone or Tablet.
Great suggestion- Thanks- now plan B if Olive doesn't get its act together.!
jdjaye is offline  
post #130 of 156 Old 06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Member
 
carfanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Glad to help. My Sonos works great for casual listening (even the wife and kids can operate it), and I run one through a nice DAC for critical listening. Great overall. And, <<$1000 total.
carfanm is offline  
post #131 of 156 Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Smile

I did get the email:

Dear Olive ONE supporter,

we are very happy to inform you that your Olive ONE has shipped today via DHL and that your ONE should be arriving on your doorsteps in just a few days.

It has been a long journey from original product concept to production, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for your patience. The Olive ONE would not have been possible without your support, and your feedback had a considerable impact on how the product looks like today. It has truly been an amazing experience to see how our supporters completely changed the way we think about, design and develop products.

If you have followed us on Zendesk you will be aware that we have used the additional time to continuously improve the software and extend our beta test. As we are currently updating our software on a weekly basis we do recommend that you check if your unit has the latest software. Once you have connected your ONE to the internet you can simply go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > UPDATE and let the ONE check online if a new software update is available.

We are confident that the software on your unit is in a very good stage. Nevertheless the ONE is a complex product and there are many potential use case scenarios (routers, UPnP software packages, smartphones etc) so we will know only for sure once the product has reached a broader distribution. That is why I would like to personally ask you --as one of the first supporters to receive the Olive ONE-- to help us continuously improve the Olive ONE and let us know what you would like us to work on next. Our Zendesk forum (https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com) provides a simple way to get in touch with us, and we promise to get back to your questions and concerns within 24 hours during regular business hours.

Thanks to the feedback of our supporters the Olive ONE delivers a unique music experience, and is future-ready for the growing availability of content in high-resolution formats. To give you a small "taste" of how music sounds in its original golden-master recording studio quality we have included 10 HD tracks from Grammy-award winning Reference Recordings with each Olive ONE that has a built-in hard disk drive. All 10 tracks are recorded in 24-bit/192 kHz.

The Olive ONE has been build around a state-of-the-art hardware platform, and the current feature set is only a glimpse of what it is capable of. We look forward to developing a whole range of new features together with you, and revolutionizing the way you experience music.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any concerns or questions you might have. We look forward to your feedback.

P.S. Once you have had some time to play with your ONE it would be great if you could let us know your first impression through a short survey we have prepared at

http://surveys.verticalresponse.com/...5/d8731e3c64/0

best regards,

Robert Altmann


and I received an automated phone call from DHL with my tracking number: my unit left Taiwan on 1 July and is now in Los Angeles after clearing customs: I expect/ hope I may see it by the weekend
SFMike and jdjaye like this.

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.
markrubin is online now  
post #132 of 156 Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Member
 
jdjaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nth-Central NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Excellent!
jdjaye is offline  
post #133 of 156 Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Member
 
carfanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Holy cow...they are shipping! What's next...Unicorns in the pet store? Looking forward to seeing reviews.
carfanm is offline  
post #134 of 156 Old 07-03-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnHWman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: France
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
DHL is ready to deliver my Olive One (without HDD) locally.
Because of the french VAT and custom taxes, I need to pay an extra 119 euros ...
I 'll let you know when I'll get it
John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !

Last edited by JohnHWman; 07-03-2014 at 04:49 AM.
JohnHWman is online now  
post #135 of 156 Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Member
 
jdjaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nth-Central NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Joy in Mudville?

Olive Ones starting to arrive in this universe!?

Can't wait to hear the feedback.
jdjaye is offline  
post #136 of 156 Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Olive One in the house

it looks beautiful: mine has the 1 TB HD

I hooked it up (wired Ethernet), let it do a firmware update, and started playing some of the prerecorded music they provided

Sounds excellent so far
Alien, tenthplanet and jdjaye like this.

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.
markrubin is online now  
post #137 of 156 Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Member
 
clpetersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Olive One in the house

it looks beautiful: mine has the 1 TB HD

I hooked it up (wired Ethernet), let it do a firmware update, and started playing some of the prerecorded music they provided

Sounds excellent so far
Mark - Very Cool. If I recall, you had the 06HD (which we still use). I am also a 'supporter' of the Olive ONE - just contributing a small amount to 'lock' in a price.
Anyway, your impressions of new vs. old would be most appreciated.
clpetersen is offline  
post #138 of 156 Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Mac7eod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Mark - Very Cool. If I recall, you had the 06HD (which we still use). I am also a 'supporter' of the Olive ONE - just contributing a small amount to 'lock' in a price.
Anyway, your impressions of new vs. old would be most appreciated.
Can you import your 06HD music back-up file into the Olive One?
Mac7eod is offline  
post #139 of 156 Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 AM
Member
 
jdjaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nth-Central NJ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What apps are available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Olive One in the house

it looks beautiful: mine has the 1 TB HD

I hooked it up (wired Ethernet), let it do a firmware update, and started playing some of the prerecorded music they provided

Sounds excellent so far
Hi Mark-

Can you tell us please what Apps are available on the OliveOne?
Pandora? Spotify? TuneIn? Songsza?

Thanks!
jdjaye is offline  
post #140 of 156 Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
^^^

I don't see any apps but internet radio: the other sources are UPnp, local HD, or Bluetooth

the volume control is neat: you swipe the circle outside the power/sleep button: does not work on digital out

I imported some HD audio downloads from a PC much the same as done with legacy Olive devices:

hit WINDOWS+R and type in \\ and IP address of ONE: this brings up a transfer window: drag music files to it and they are transferred to the ONE HD

next to try Android app: the IOS app is not out yet

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
markrubin is online now  
post #141 of 156 Old 07-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
the Android app works: download it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.olive.one

double tap on song selections and they play quickly: when the app is connected you get the menu across the ONE screen that it is being controlled remotely: tap on screen to take local control

sound quality wise, I think the ONE sounds as good as my 06HD (which I no longer own), which is good

there is no remote control provided: and there seems no way to control by IR? remote controlled only by apps?

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-05-2014 at 03:10 PM.
markrubin is online now  
post #142 of 156 Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
my thoughts on the ONE so far:

in general I like it: I am pleasantly surprised because I was put off by lack of support of their legacy products, but the ONE has excellent sound quality and operation is pretty good: there are some minor glitches which I think will be addressed: the ONE team seems responsive to questions and fixing issues

It is still a work in progress: the IOS app will not be out until next month, and the lack of any apparent way to control it using a third party remote control system like Crestron or RTI is missing. Of interest is when you type in the IP address of the ONE on a PC, you get an Olive splash screen: this leads me to hope there may be an IP GUI at some point.

It says there is a way to play Spotify but I don't see it: it does not have Airplay edit: you can drag & drop Spotify songs from a PC into the ONE transfer file

The touchscreen on the ONE is nice and large and has a wide viewing angle side to side, however the vertical viewing angle (when on a shelf, you need to be directly over it) is limited

there is a USB port on the rear but I don't think it accepts music files: might only be for firmware updates (it also does network updates)

It has a playlist feature but I have yet to figure out how to make a track a fav: edit: hold finger on selection and option to add to playlist pops up

Perhaps more later...

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-06-2014 at 05:09 AM.
markrubin is online now  
post #143 of 156 Old 07-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Member
 
Mac7eod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I did get the email:

Dear Olive ONE supporter,

we are very happy to inform you that your Olive ONE has shipped today via DHL and that your ONE should be arriving on your doorsteps in just a few days.

It has been a long journey from original product concept to production, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for your patience. The Olive ONE would not have been possible without your support, and your feedback had a considerable impact on how the product looks like today. It has truly been an amazing experience to see how our supporters completely changed the way we think about, design and develop products.

If you have followed us on Zendesk you will be aware that we have used the additional time to continuously improve the software and extend our beta test. As we are currently updating our software on a weekly basis we do recommend that you check if your unit has the latest software. Once you have connected your ONE to the internet you can simply go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > UPDATE and let the ONE check online if a new software update is available.

We are confident that the software on your unit is in a very good stage. Nevertheless the ONE is a complex product and there are many potential use case scenarios (routers, UPnP software packages, smartphones etc) so we will know only for sure once the product has reached a broader distribution. That is why I would like to personally ask you --as one of the first supporters to receive the Olive ONE-- to help us continuously improve the Olive ONE and let us know what you would like us to work on next. Our Zendesk forum (https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com) provides a simple way to get in touch with us, and we promise to get back to your questions and concerns within 24 hours during regular business hours.

Thanks to the feedback of our supporters the Olive ONE delivers a unique music experience, and is future-ready for the growing availability of content in high-resolution formats. To give you a small "taste" of how music sounds in its original golden-master recording studio quality we have included 10 HD tracks from Grammy-award winning Reference Recordings with each Olive ONE that has a built-in hard disk drive. All 10 tracks are recorded in 24-bit/192 kHz.

The Olive ONE has been build around a state-of-the-art hardware platform, and the current feature set is only a glimpse of what it is capable of. We look forward to developing a whole range of new features together with you, and revolutionizing the way you experience music.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any concerns or questions you might have. We look forward to your feedback.

P.S. Once you have had some time to play with your ONE it would be great if you could let us know your first impression through a short survey we have prepared at

http://surveys.verticalresponse.com/...5/d8731e3c64/0

best regards,

Robert Altmann


and I received an automated phone call from DHL with my tracking number: my unit left Taiwan on 1 July and is now in Los Angeles after clearing customs: I expect/ hope I may see it by the weekend
Your message prompted me to also send an e-mail to Olive to check on the status of my order as I had paid for my Olive One back in February of this year. Their response was very quick with the following:

Thank you for your email. Sorry, we were not able to ship your product yet as we are still battling with the slow output (we have shipped more and more units as you can see from the increasing reports in the Zendesk forum). We would love to give you an exact date, but it is really hard to say as the output is still fluctuating. We are very confident that we can ship your unit in the next 2 weeks. Not sure if you saw the latest reviews at

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc...-ONE-and-only-

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc...compact-livers

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc...ust-got-my-ONE

I know it’s a pain to wait for the ONE and all I can do is assure you that we do our best. We just want to make sure each product is perfect and test everything very thoroughly.

Thanks

ONE team
Mac7eod is offline  
post #144 of 156 Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Member
 
carfanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
It says there is a way to play Spotify but I don't see it: it does not have Airplay edit: you can drag & drop Spotify songs from a PC into the ONE transfer file

there is a USB port on the rear but I don't think it accepts music files: might only be for firmware updates (it also does network updates)

It has a playlist feature but I have yet to figure out how to make a track a fav: edit: hold finger on selection and option to add to playlist pops up.
Isn't there a manual? Also, what are the little glitches so far?
carfanm is offline  
post #145 of 156 Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
^^^^

there is a 'pocket' manual which gives basic info: not unlike the manual that came with the legacy units

glitches I have seen so far

-- Android app response sometimes is slow/glitchy: according to ONE web site FAQ this is a known issue that will be fixed

--the rear panel ethernet jack does not have enough clearance to allow you to unlock the locking tab: so to remove the ethernet cable you need to insert a screwdriver or similar tool: not a big deal

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-06-2014 at 08:59 AM.
markrubin is online now  
post #146 of 156 Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnHWman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: France
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool Olive One installed !

Hello,

Last week, I've successfully received my Olive One after 'just' 5 months of wait from my online order date
I've choosed the standalone version (No HDD) since I would like to stream my music (Flac/APE) from my Synology DS212j NAS using DLNA/UPnp client. I'm using the One embedded Class D amplifier to drive my B&W DM604-S3 pair.

I've managed to modify my current loudspeakers installation and wiring to afford the new Audio player. The idea was to install it on top of the left loudspeaker to be safe for the small kids and convenient for adults access. Also, I would like to hide as much as possible the wiring cables for the living room

So I've installed new wiring paths within the concrete back wall to afford :
- LAN cable (from the switch)
- The pair of the loudspeakers cables
- The Olive One DC jack (with the AC/DC adapter close to the floor hanging on the wall (flat) to be hide by the left loudspeaker cabinet)

Here is the result:


Now, the Olive one installed on top of the speaker:


Details of full (short) wiring connections :



Olive One and B&W DM-604-S3 pair general view:



I was little bit nervous about the ability for the player to drive my B&W pair with its embedded amplifier versus SPL but I was wrong : this little player is very powerfull and I can't push the audio Volume on max without exceeding the convenient audio listening level for my living room ! Also, the audio quality is there, almost as well as my previous Yamaha S1700+Cambridge 640A amplifier system : good job Olive !!
Now, I need to tweak my UPnp client on NAS to match the convenient presentation (Artist - Album - Tracks) levels view on the player .

John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !

Last edited by JohnHWman; 07-09-2014 at 12:44 AM.
JohnHWman is online now  
post #147 of 156 Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Member
 
clpetersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7eod View Post
Can you import your 06HD music back-up file into the Olive One?
I do not believe so. We also supported the Olive One, a contribution to secure a 'fixed' sales price. I asked the same question, and Olive was fairly specific that the old libraries (even on the -HD versions) and the new Olice ONE were not directly compatible. In fact Olive explicitly recommended XMBC as a software tool to extract files off of the -HD model and into a more universal library which could then be read into a ONE.
clpetersen is offline  
post #148 of 156 Old 07-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
here is some info on transferring from Olive 04HD to ONE:

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc...-?locale=en-us

I sold my 06HD and the external backup HD: still have all the CD's and a 2011 backup on DVD discs done by MusicShifter in 2011: most are FLAC and some are WMA Lossless: I can transfer the FLAC files quickly...and they show up on the ONE quickly, but no metadata (there is a way to add it)
WMA lossless (without using WMA program) transfers but does not show up one the ONE

during the transfer process playback from the ONE HD continues

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-10-2014 at 06:02 AM.
markrubin is online now  
post #149 of 156 Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Member
 
Mac7eod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
here is some info on transferring from Olive 04HD to ONE:

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc...-?locale=en-us

I sold my 06HD and the external backup HD: still have all the CD's and a 2011 backup done by MusicShifter in 2011: most are FLAC and some are WMA Lossless: I can transfer the FLAC files quickly...and they show up on the ONE quickly, but no metadata (there is a way to add it)
WMA lossless seems like it transfers but does not show up
I read the information regarding transferring from an Olive 04HD to the One with interest. However, my Olive 04HD is dead and all I have is my latest back-up file on a separate hard drive, which is fairly recent. I was wondering how to transfer from a back-up file of the Olive 04HD to the Olive One
Mac7eod is offline  
post #150 of 156 Old 07-11-2014, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Olive ONE: my thoughts

Background: I owned an 04HD, then upgraded to 06HD which I used for several years: recently I sold my 06HD (and miss it)... I ordered my ONE through Indiegogo well over a year ago: also owned Escient system and currently a Kaleidescape Cinema ONE system:have played with many other similar devices over the years!

I spent a good bit of time using the ONE, it is a good unit with lots of nice features: here are some pros and cons I have observed:

Pros

-excellent sound quality
-neat volume control on unit (also provided in APP) works on analog out only
-on screen and search functions are very good: easy to setup playlists
-Olive support by email and Zen-desk seems very good: very responsive, and they are actively providing fixes in response to user feedback
-you can access the optional hard drive from a PC: you can add or delete files easily


CONS

- Android app works but loses connection to ONE sometimes: this is a known issue. IOS app is not available yet
- there is NO remote control or infrared eye or provision for any type of remote control except through the Android or IOS apps
-there are no provisions for Spotify, Pandora, or any similar apps: the only supported app is internet radio
-Literature says it can be wall mounted but there are no wall mount provisions, instructions, or bracket to support wall mounting
-Display viewing angle is excellent side to side, poor up and down (on a shelf you must be directly over the display to read it)
-analog and coax digital audio outs do not both work simultaneously: you have to go into menu to select one
-ripping FLAC files to the ONE works but cover art does not show up (common issue)
-Ethernet connection on rear of unit has no clearance to release locking pin when you try to remove cable

All in all this is a very good player with good sound: they are actively working to address issues and get Android and IOS apps finished

above is my opinion only

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin

Last edited by markrubin; 07-11-2014 at 04:49 AM.
markrubin is online now  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off