post #151 of 164 Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Olive ONE: my thoughts

Background: I owned an 04HD, then upgraded to 06HD which I used for several years: recently I sold my 06HD (and miss it)... I ordered my ONE through Indiegogo well over a year ago: also owned Escient system and currently a Kaleidescape Cinema ONE system:have played with many other similar devices over the years!

I spent a good bit of time using the ONE, it is a good unit with lots of nice features: here are some pros and cons I have observed:

Pros

-excellent sound quality
-neat volume control on unit (also provided in APP) works on analog out only
-on screen and search functions are very good: easy to setup playlists
-Olive support by email and Zen-desk seems very good: very responsive, and they are actively providing fixes in response to user feedback
-you can access the optional hard drive from a PC: you can add or delete files easily

CONS

- Android app works but loses connection to ONE sometimes: this is a known issue. IOS app is not available yet
- there is NO remote control or infrared eye or provision for any type of remote control except through the Android or IOS apps
-there are no provisions for Spotify, Pandora, or any similar apps: the only supported app is internet radio
-Literature says it can be wall mounted but there are no wall mount provisions, instructions, or bracket to support wall mounting
-Display viewing angle is excellent side to side, poor up and down (on a shelf you must be directly over the display to read it)
-analog and coax digital audio outs do not both work simultaneously: you have to go into menu to select one
-ripping FLAC files to the ONE works but cover art does not show up (common issue)
-Ethernet connection on rear of unit has no clearance to release locking pin when you try to remove cable

All in all this is a very good player with good sound: they are actively working to address issues and get Android and IOS apps finished

above is my opinion only
Great Write-up Mark!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Do you think you could post pictures of the top, back and bottom please?

Also, I'm assuming the power supply I is a wall wart?

Again, thanks for the comprehensive review - nicely done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
the external PS is a large brick rated 24 volts/ 3.75 amps: a high quality supply

some images attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3011.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	156346   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3012.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	156354  
post #153 of 164 Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks!

Very interesting. Different image than what was on the Olive One Website.

Re: The Coax/Wifi terminal in the back - did they include an antenna of sorts?

Re: USB-A Port:
Do you know if it works with a flashdrive and/or an external hard drive?
Do you know if the USB Port recognizes Apple lossless files?

Very cool stuff!
post #154 of 164 Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

there is a wifi antenna in the box as I recall

I tried to play music from a USB stick: it did not work but it was HD audio so it is possible it was not recognized

I did see mention that you could output music from it: have not tried
post #155 of 164 Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

more:

my Marantz NA-7004 NAS can see the Olive One HD and al the music on it: even the playlists (same as it could see the 06HD)

I can play all the music from the Marantz and use its remote control functions
jdjaye likes this.
post #156 of 164 Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

just got this email:

a new software update (.23) is available for download. The most important changes and improvements in this release are:

1) Internet Radio stations that are added by users will now be available to all ONE customers (after verification).

2) Album artwork that is not embedded is now supported.

3) Importing of music via SAMBA and indexing of music library has been optimized. A feature to erase all music on the hard drive has been added (SETTINGS > SYSTEM > DEFAULT SETTINGS)

4) An additional setting for the volume sensor has been added to reduce the sensitivity (SETTINGS > PREFERENCES > VOLUME SENSOR).

5) Playback issues (e.g. skips) with certain audio formats & encoder settings have been resolved.

Please see full release notes and installation instructions below.

Enjoy your ONE and have a great week!

Olive ONE Team

Release Note

SW: 1.0.23 Build 7
Date: 2014-7-14

How to upgrade to V1.0.23 Build 7
You can now download the software directly onto your device via the internet. Simply tap on the SETTINGS icon and go to SYSTEM > UPDATE. Tap on CHECK NOW (Look for new software updates) and install the new software update.
After the software installation has completed please reboot the device by tapping on the REBOOT button. After the device has rebooted please verify that the new software has been installed. Simply go to SETTINGS > ABOUT > YOUR SYSTEM and verify that the VERSION says 0.0.23.7.

Bug Fixes
1. Solved inconsistent audio skips and "blips" during playback (resolves Zendesk ticket #448 , 465, 564, 574). Also resolved inconsistent "clicking" noise at end of some AIFF files (resolves Zendesk ticket #559 ).
2. Resolved a few root causes where imported music does not appear in ONE's library, e.g. the disruption of music transfer through non-embedded artwork files on Mac computers (resolves Zendesk ticket #588 , 621, 675, 703, 733).
3. WiFi password and settings are now stored after switching between WiFi and Ethernet modes (resolves Zendesk ticket #486 ).
4. Artwork that is not embedded but stored separately is now supported in most circumstances (resolves Zendesk ticket #485 ).
5. Resolved various problems with standby mode, e.g. that internal hard disk drive is not powering down, LCD has colored band after wake up, and (resolves Zendesk ticket #322 , 437, 512, 565, 666, 696).
6. Solved various root causes for system freezing (resolves Zendesk ticket #401 , 447, 510, 513, 573, 593, 709, 747).

Enhancements
1. Customer settings for sorting music (in columns) are now stored and will maintain after soft-reboot (resolves Zendesk ticket #490 ).
2. Added an additional volume sensor setting for customers that have reported sensitive volume sensors (resolves Zendesk ticket #386 , 451, 659). Accessible under SETTINGS > PREFERENCES > VOLUME SENSOR
3. Added a CLEANUP DATABASE feature that erases the music in the ONE's SAMBA folder (MY OLIVE MUSIC) and the library index (i.e. what is represented on the user interface). This allows user's to conveniently wipe the hard drive from all music (resolves Zendesk ticket #527 ). Olive is working on a synchronization feature (scheduled for .24) that re-syncs the music in the SAMBA folder with the library index (e.g. if new music is added or removed in the SAMBA folder. This will also likely include a FOLDER VIEW navigation interface, requested by many users.
4. Internet Radio Stations that are added by users will now be accessible --after verification-- by all Olive ONE users (resolves Zendesk ticket #418 , 458)
5. Further refined the standby (power saving) modes. To enable power saving go to SETTINGS > PREFERENCES > POWER and turn power savings ON. In this state the ONE will power down all components and services (hard disk drive, LCD, PCB, network etc.) and will also not be available as a music (UPnP) server in the network any more. If power savings is turned OFF all components stay on, except the LCD and processor (which will go into power saving mode if idle).
To manually activate the power savings please press the power button for one second (the LCD will turn off at this point).
Note: The Power button LED will currently not "breathe" in standby mode, but this will be resolved in .24.
6. Solved different GUI inconsistencies and added animations (resolves Zendesk tickets #503 , 519, 566, 660, 661, 662, 663, 748).

B) Known (remaining) bugs:
There are still some remaining issues with regard to music import and not all music files showing up in the ONE's music library. We will introduce a reporting scheme in .24 that allows users to conveniently report back which files are not showing up in the music library to allow us to narrow down in which cases muisc files are not imported (e.g. incompatibility with some music formats, metadata etc.). Additionally there still might be few instances that cause system freezes, audio playback distortions, wake/sleep related issues and volume control sensitivity that have not been resolved yet, so please report them back to us.

If you experience any additional issues please file a support ticket through Zendesk at https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com and we will address them quickly. Thanks!
post #157 of 164 Old 07-29-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if any of the early contributors to the campaign have not received their One yet. I ordered my One very early in the campaign (first week), and then life got in the way for the last year. Last week I had a friend over for dinner who was also familiar with the One, but hadn't bought, and he asked me how I liked it. Bell goes off and I realize that I still don't have it. I've got a couple of emails into sales querying this, but I just thought I would check if there is anybody in the same boat. Well over a year and a half since I made the contribution, and the market has changed a lot since I gave them my money.

If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
post #158 of 164 Old 07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Dear Olive ONE supporters,

a new software update (.24) is available for download. The most important changes and improvements in this release are:

1. Some customers have reported that not all music that has been copied to the ONE will show up in the library. We have therefore added a Re-Sync feature that forces the Olive ONE to manually sync its library with music in the MY OLIVE MUSIC (Samba) folder (Available under settings > system > music library).

Note: Please do not use any sync tools (like e.g. rsync) at this time to copy/manage your music with the Olive ONE. This is currently not supported and can cause some music to not show up in the library.

2. We added a FOLDER VIEW that allows users to navigate music in the same folder structure that exists in the MY OLIVE MUSIC (Samba) folder. To access the FOLDER VIEW click on the FOLDER icon in the launch bar on the right side of the LCD.

Please see full release notes and installation instructions below.

Enjoy your ONE and have a great week!

Olive ONE Team

Release Note

SW: 1.0.24 Build 10
Date: 2014-7-30

How to upgrade to V1.0.24 Build 10
You can now download the software directly onto your device via the internet. Simply tap on the SETTINGS icon and go to SYSTEM > UPDATE. Tap on CHECK NOW (Look for new software updates) and install the new software update.
After the software installation has completed please reboot the device by tapping on the REBOOT button. After the device has rebooted please verify that the new software has been installed. Simply go to SETTINGS > ABOUT > YOUR SYSTEM and verify that the VERSION says 0.0.24.10.

Bug Fixes
1. Solved problems with incorrect playback sequence of tracks (resolves Zendesk ticket #664 ).
2. Resolved additional issues that prevented ONE to go to deep sleep and wake up (resolves Zendesk ticket #666 and 815).
3. Solved intermittent playback issues through digital out (resolves Zendesk ticket #555 ).
4. Fixed additional root causes for audio skips and playback issues (resolves Zendesk ticket #574 and 718).

New Features
1. Added Re-Sync feature that forces ONE to manually sync library with music in the MY OLIVE MUSIC (Samba) folder (Available under settings > system > music library)
2. Added FOLDER VIEW that allows users to navigate music in the same folder structure that exists in the MY OLIVE MUSIC (Samba) folder. To access the FOLDER VIEW click on the FOLDER icon in the launch bar on the right side of the LCD.

Enhancements
1. Solved different GUI inconsistencies and added animations (resolves Zendesk tickets #839 ).

B) Known (remaining) bugs:
There are still some remaining issues that cause system freezes, audio playback distortions, wake/sleep related issues and volume control sensitivity that have not been resolved yet, so please report them back to us.

If you experience any additional issues please file a support ticket through Zendesk at https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com and we will address them quickly. Thanks!
post #159 of 164 Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicjockey View Post
I'm wondering if any of the early contributors to the campaign have not received their One yet. I ordered my One very early in the campaign (first week), and then life got in the way for the last year. Last week I had a friend over for dinner who was also familiar with the One, but hadn't bought, and he asked me how I liked it. Bell goes off and I realize that I still don't have it. I've got a couple of emails into sales querying this, but I just thought I would check if there is anybody in the same boat. Well over a year and a half since I made the contribution, and the market has changed a lot since I gave them my money.
Jurassicjockey - Yes, I am still waiting on 2 units. I have corresponded a few times, but still nothing in hand. I was earlier told to be in a June run of product, but that has well lapsed. There is poor communication to those of us who paid early, but then they already have our money and they don't have to impress us much. Sorry to say but my earlier enthusiasm has been turning cynical.
post #160 of 164 Old 08-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Just got my Olive One today and here are my very initial impressions:

Overall I am liking the unit so far, but the biggest disappointment is screen/viewing angles. I have my on my desk and as posted above you have to look straight down on it for the screen to look correct. The side to side viewing angle is great, but up down is very poor. The viewing angle of the unit is very shallow to begin with. Olive, I would either look for a better screen or change the viewing angle of the base. I have to have it right next to me to see it properly.

Would really like to have more sound isolation in the drive bay. Very easy to hear the HD spinning.

The sound is GREAT.

The ethernet jack is too close to the lip and make it very difficult to release the connector.

When in menus, the back arrow should take you back to the last screen, not the main menu.

When setting the time zone, the choices are too hard to read.

Concerning your website, why is the One site completely separate from your main site? Also, you need a link from your main site to the zendesk site. Hard to find any support links on your ONE site.

That's it for now.....
post #161 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM
MoG

selling mine

Just got mine today via FedEx & am going to sell it. Ended up purchasing an alternate music system while waiting.
PM me if interested in a brand new Olive One.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- just a click away
post #162 of 164 Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
here is some info on transferring from Olive 04HD to ONE:

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc...-?locale=en-us

during the transfer process playback from the ONE HD continues
This is a critical question to me because I am considering a One as my last ditch option to save my 04HD music library into the future.

Can I hear the experiences of those here who have done this transfer, whether successfully or not?

Thanks.
post #163 of 164 Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

new software update (.25) is available for download. The most important changes and improvements in this release are:

1. We have solved most of the issues that prevented the re-sync feature (settings > presences > music library) to work properly and import the updated music library in the OLIVE MUSIC Samba folder.

2. The quality and performance of streaming from your smartphone via Bluetooth was considerably improved.

3. Some of the key issues with the iOS and Android apps were resolved.

Please see the full release notes and installation instructions below.
post #164 of 164 Old Today, 08:34 PM

Exclamation Stay AWAY from this company!! 6 months and counting!!! This has been unbelievable!

Where are the shipments? 6 months and counting!!!
This has been unbelievable! I am now on my 5th email and over 6 months delay to date. I ordered in March and STILL nothing, even after 4 promises that have come and gone......where is the credibility? Long gone, obviously with my cash and no delivery! I have lost all of my patience with Olive One. This company has zero customer service! Buyer beware!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page