Olive One - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #181 of 202 Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Damn, so there's no digital input at all except bluetooth? Who's the genius who thought that one up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 202 Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug3enius View Post
Damn, so there's no digital input at all except bluetooth? Who's the genius who thought that one up?
Damn good question. Had I known that I would have bought one with an internal HD. So far it makes a great paperweight... until I get an HDD that is.
post #183 of 202 Old 12-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Marquez View Post
2. There was a bug though on the current software release when using 44.1Khz audio files (mp3/wav/flac) via its digital output. There is a loud static noise that plays with the music. Everything works well though on audio files with sampling rate more than 44.1Khz. Olive One support is currently working on a solution.
Wow, that's quite a bug... A lot of my music are ripped CD, so I cannot use Olive 1 to steam to my music system...

Also I read there is no native support for Spotify and Pandora, you need to use a smartphone or tablet app to stream.
Could somebody confirm that? How's the steaming works... thru WiFi or bluetooth?

--

Last edited by Gavrilych; 12-15-2014 at 01:32 AM.
post #184 of 202 Old 12-17-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just saw this product & wanted to follow some of the user reviews.

Mark Conner

Last edited by damon; 12-17-2014 at 04:49 PM.
post #185 of 202 Old 12-19-2014, 02:16 AM

Liked: 0
Hi everybody,
I have an olive 4 HD and I hesitate to order an Olive One .
My configuration is Mcintosh 402 and preamplifier/ DAC Ayon Skylla II . Do you think the sound is good as olive 4HD?
Thanks for your help.
Lorenzo
post #186 of 202 Old 12-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Just received my Olive One

Components
  • Olive One
  • ReadyNAS NV+
  • Squeezeserver
  • FLAC files
  • Receiver, speaker selector, in-wall speakers

Delivery

I ordered my Olive One in late October, and was told it would ship in late November. I got several versions of invoices on various dates, but no further delivery info. In late December, a FedEx package arrived at my door without warning. (The FedEx box was literally sopping wet; happily the internal box was dry.) I was willing to wait, but I'd expected at least a "your order is shipping notice".

Good
  • The Olive is solid, and fairly attractive
  • Setup was (mostly; see below) quick and easy. It found my NAS and media library immediately, and offered up music right away. It is clearly working off my Squeezeserver database, not the files themselves.
  • Sound (once I got it) is great.
  • The interface is workable.

Bad
  • Careless assembly - This is a minor point, but ... the sticky label on the back with the port markings was applied incorrectly. The lable is bumpy, and covers the edges of some ports. Is it important? No. But carelessness in one visible area suggests there may be carelessness in other, more important areas.
  • Speaker setup - The quick start guide notes that for digital out, you must set a software setting first. It does NOT say that to get music from the speaker ports, you must ALSO set a software setting first. I spent over an hour with cables, speakers, multi-meter, etc., trying to figure out why I couldn't get any sound. I was able to get sound by touching the RCA analog out cables to my speaker cables. Finally, I decided to just call in an electrician, and play with the interface in the meantime. There, I found the speaker setting. After that, everything worked fine, but the confusion was aggravating. It is in no way intuitive to require a software setting to enable the speakers on an audio device.
  • Poor touch screen - The touch screen is only inconsistently responsive. The on/off switch is especially finicky.
  • No supersets - By choosing an album track, the Olive will play the entire album. I've found no way to play all tracks by an artist, or in a genre, or to just play my entire collection.
  • No playlists - I managed to create a playlist, but not to add any tracks to it.
  • No alphabet selection - The alphabet ranged along the left side of the interface (sometimes) ONLY works with playlists (not that I can make one). The rest of the time (artists, albums, etc.) it does nothing at all, which means a lot of slow scrolling. I thought for a while that the volume control might work as a spinner, but it's all volume, all the time.
  • No search - Search never finds anything at all. That may be because my NAS uses Logitech Squeezeserver. (Not sure why that would be an issue).
  • Poor art - Album art doesn't look great, though most albums have decent size and quality covers.
  • Limited guide - The online user guide is limited at best.
  • No Android - The Android app does not work at all on Lollipop. I bought the Olive in large part so that I could control it with my phone, so this is a major problem for me. The app installs, but literally does nothing. (The iPhone app does work, so in theory, I could just ask my wife to change the music from her phone all day long.)

Indifferent
The Olive is substantially larger than I envisioned - diameter is 1.5x what I expected.

Sum
Would I still get it? I think so. It's been slow to ship, and nowhere near as polished as I would expect from a $500 piece of equipment. It feels like a beta product, at a finished product price. The sound is great, but a lot of the interface just doesn't work very well. At the moment, it's a bit like an old single-CD player - I choose an album, press play. When that ends, I get up, go to the player, do a lot of scrolling, choose another album, press play. Not a crisis, but not exactly cutting edge technology. It does sound good, though.
post #187 of 202 Old 12-26-2014, 07:11 AM

I received my Olive ONE in Aug this year after more than a year's wait. Here is my impression of it.

Hardware
-Beautiful to look at and the aluminum housing is really nicely finished. It seems like a solidly made piece of gear. Only downside on my unit is that the glass touch screen is rather clumsily mounted off-center, so that its circumference is not concentric with the aluminum case. A bit of a let down here, really. And this was after Olive delayed shipments by months to ensure an 'impeccable' finish.

Sound
-I hooked it up to my Monitor Audio RX6 and it sounds beautiful, definitely no complains here.

Touch Screen
- Poor viewing angles, but you don't buy the ONE to watch a movie on it :-)
- Somewhat non-responsive to the touch. I sometimes find myself jabbing at the screen with increasing pressure and frustration because the unit can be slow to register an input. I suspect this is partly also because the software is a bit laggy in performance. E.g., you can't just press the touch screen for a moment to turn it on. Rather, I find that I have to press the touch screen for a second or so for it to register the input. However, if I were to press the screen a tad longer than that, the unit will turn ON and then OFF!
- Very sensitive to the non-touch(!) On more than one occasion the screen started to misbehave e.g., the volume control was erratically moving up and down though nothing was touching it. I had to rush to turn off the unit to avoid damage to my speakers. (This was with the latest Nov 14 firmware). Other users on Olive's zendesk forum report the same issue.

Software
-This is really the downfall of the player. The interface is laggy and feels like a beta piece of software.
-Intermitten and seemingly random disruptions to playback with my flac files that my PC and Squeezebox handled flawlessly. This requires a complete reset of the unit.
-Still missing advertised features such as multi-room playback and streaming services.
-The android app frequently crashes.

Other thoughts
-Olive recently released a roadmap of its planned software enhancements but given the chronic delays that have beset the project so far and Olive's track record, I won't hold my breath that the projected timelines will be met.
-Reading throuh Olive's forum, it seems that at one stage Olive was deleting negative reviews of the ONE posted on zendesk forum. Olive initially denied that was the case, but was eventually forced to apologize after being caught out by those whose posts were deleted. This is really bad form IMO.

I had really wanted to like my ONE. However, it is frustrating to use and has now become an expensive paper-weight. I will definitely not be going anywhere near any Olive product ever again and become an unwitting beta-tester.
post #188 of 202 Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 AM

The hardware is really nice to look at but the GUI is horrible. That being said is there a market for a pre-owned never really used One?
post #189 of 202 Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 AM

So I was nice this year and Santa got me a Bluesound Powernode and I am glad to report that I could not be happier. This player is a pleasure to use and to listen to and is what Olive could/should have achieved. Instead, the Olive is plagued by software bugs and a laggy interface (slow processor/clunky firmware?) which makes even the simplest of operations a test of patience. The Olive ONE is now literally a paper weight and I can now sell off my old Squeezebox Touch which in the last few months had become an indispensable backup to the ONE on those days when I don't care to wrestle with it.
post #190 of 202 Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 PM

So I ordered an olive one and immediately believed I'd made a mistake after finding some negative reviews! However...the unit arrived just after christmas and I have to confess...I love it! OK it is a work in progress mainly due to the software. I have a nexus 5 with android 5 so no working app yet. I have an old iPad and the app works to a degree but it is buggy to say the least. My main need was for a device that would play high quality music files (flac), connect to my Doge HiFi (Doge 9 monoblocks, and Doge 8 preamp) and have reasonable onboard storage. The olive one delivers and provides a great sounding solution for a very reasonable price.

I fairly easily converted a few dozen existing CDs and the sound is extremely good. I also downloaded some hi-res flac files from hdtracks in 96khz/24 bit format and the quality is exceptional. The problem is that any old mp3 files will be un-listenable!

The interface does feel like a work in progress, but the fundamentals are there. I think its kind of cool that this is a developing product and will only get better. I haven't tried the unit directly connected to speakers and using the onboard amps....but will give it a go when I have some time.

I got this unit via one of the daily auctions and paid $625 for the 2tb version. Truth be told, I would have paid full price for the unit, so for me it was a Christmas bargain. So, there is some work to do with this unit to get it to where it needs to be, but I think it will come with software updates. The hardware itself looks to be very well put together, looks very stylish and much more expensive than it is. For me, it has exceeded expectations and fullfilled my need exactly. This product has impressed me very much.
post #191 of 202 Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Marquez View Post
I got my One 2 weeks ago and has been playing with it everyday.
1. The sound is great whether I use its digital/analog output or use its own amplifier (directly to my Vienna Acoustic bookshelf speakers). I was even surprise on how a small system like One can drive my Vienna well.
2. There was a bug though on the current software release when using 44.1Khz audio files (mp3/wav/flac) via its digital output. There is a loud static noise that plays with the music. Everything works well though on audio files with sampling rate more than 44.1Khz. Olive One support is currently working on a solution.
3. Remote control using my android device works fine but of course there's a lot room to improve this App in terms of functionalities.
4. Olive One support is very responsive like they will reply within the day as long as you post your problem at olive media zendesk.
5. For the price, the sound quality is great ... I would say surpassing some of the more expensive systems. I have a friend who setup his mac mini into a music server, spending more than $1000 just to replace its power supply, but when you compare it with the Olive One (under the same setup), the sound its merely the same.
Please state your relationship with Olive. Thank you.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #192 of 202 Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My experience with Olive One has been problematic. Initial loading failed. A second transfer brought music but no artwork. And the analog playback is plagued with high frequency noise, which sounds like chirping birds in the music. I was told by someone this is a grounding issue. The digital output works, but not the way I intended to connect through my system.

And given the difficulty with tech support by bulletin board which I used for the loading issue, i simply have not tried to undertake the other issues. I wish I could just send it in to be checked. It is a pretty paperweight to me.
post #193 of 202 Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
MoG

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
I looked at the Bluesound, but since Im a Pandora One fan, I went with the Sonos. Still, I'd like all my music on a single server. Im going to try a NAS approach first, but if that doesn't work well, then I may just bite the bullet and buy a bluesound vault.

It's a shame the Olive folks are so far behind schedule. IMO - they should have skipped the amplifier, and just built a server/streamer combo.
I went with a Sonos as well. Only one unit...still deciding if I'm going to buy more or go with another solution. i got the playbar.

FYI, i got busy with the holidays and didn't really do anything with my Olive One.

if you're interested in one, i've still got mine. has a 2-year warranty. unused, mint condition.

snagabag.com - just a click away

Last edited by MoG; 01-23-2015 at 04:23 PM.
post #194 of 202 Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was looking at this as well as a few other devices that I could replace my Squeezebox 3 with... After lots of pondering and reading, I went with an Oppo BDP-105D that I can plug in my USB hard drive to and it can serve up all my music files (50K files) and play hi res files... Of course it's also a universal disc player. It arrived last night and I've yet to really play around with it... Connected it all up, updated the firmware, connected it to my wi-fi network and surprisingly, it saw the SqueezeServer data on my Mac and connected to it just fine. So far, so good.

Tom
Hayward, CA
post #195 of 202 Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdac View Post
I was looking at this as well as a few other devices that I could replace my Squeezebox 3 with... After lots of pondering and reading, I went with an Oppo BDP-105D that I can plug in my USB hard drive to and it can serve up all my music files (50K files) and play hi res files... Of course it's also a universal disc player. It arrived last night and I've yet to really play around with it... Connected it all up, updated the firmware, connected it to my wi-fi network and surprisingly, it saw the SqueezeServer data on my Mac and connected to it just fine. So far, so good.
Thanks for sharing - that is encouraging news!
Can you use it "headless" via an a IOS/Android app?
Does it handle NTFS on your USB hard-drive?
Does it have enough power to handle the USB - or do you need a separately powered USB drive?

2 Channel audio only:
ZUs Soul Superflys; Marantz PM15S2. Marantz SA8005; Rega RP3; Sonos Connect
ps - try before you buy, and always make sure you have a return option!
post #196 of 202 Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
Thanks for sharing - that is encouraging news!
Can you use it "headless" via an a IOS/Android app?
Does it handle NTFS on your USB hard-drive?
Does it have enough power to handle the USB - or do you need a separately powered USB drive?

Headless = YES. The iOS app is much easier than navigating using the remote, and there is a search function also.

NTFS = not sure, but I think the answer is YES.
USB Drive = depends on the drive, but i saw a video on YouTube where a guy was showing how it acts as a music server and he was using what looked like a Western Digital Passport USB drive connected to the USB port and it powered it fine. Reading the manual last night, it says that the USB ports offer up 5V, so that will power MOST portable drives. I encourage you to check out that vid on YouTube.. Search for "Oppo BDP-105" and you'll find it. He walks thru the navigation menus and iOS app on an iPad. I posted in the Oppo 108 thread and will update that as I learn more about this.

Tom
Hayward, CA
post #197 of 202 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Nice post, thanks. Did the Oppo 105D work with the library structure of the Squeeze server? in other words, did it show the same organization (genres, artists, etc.) that you previously had on the Squeezebox, or did it present the music files as simply a very long list of folders?
post #198 of 202 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Nice post, thanks. Did the Oppo 105D work with the library structure of the Squeeze server? in other words, did it show the same organization (genres, artists, etc.) that you previously had on the Squeezebox, or did it present the music files as simply a very long list of folders?
It used all the metadata from the SqueezeServer running on my Mac... I was able to select by Artist, Album Name, Genre, New Music, etc. Exactly what I could access using iPeng with the SB3 or from the SB3 and remote.

It's it little clunky, though... especially navigating with the remote... The Oppo iPhone app is MUCH better to navigate with.

Tom
Hayward, CA
post #199 of 202 Old Today, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Marquez
1. The sound is great whether I use its digital/analog output or use its own amplifier (directly to my Vienna Acoustic bookshelf speakers). I was even surprise on how a small system like One can drive my Vienna well.
3. Remote control using my android device works fine but of course there's a lot room to improve this App in terms of functionalities.
4. Olive One support is very responsive like they will reply within the day as long as you post your problem at olive media zendesk.
5. For the price, the sound quality is great ... I would say surpassing some of the more expensive systems. I have a friend who setup his mac mini into a music server, spending more than $1000 just to replace its power supply, but when you compare it with the Olive One (under the same setup), the sound its merely the same.

post #200 of 202 Old Today, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Quote:
Headless = YES. The iOS app is much easier than navigating using the remote, and there is a search function also.

USB Drive = depends on the drive, but i saw a video on YouTube where a guy was showing how it acts as a music server and he was using what looked like a Western Digital Passport USB drive connected to the USB port and it powered it fine. Reading the manual last night, it says that the USB ports offer up 5V, so that will power MOST portable drives. I encourage you to check out that vid on YouTube.. Search for "Oppo BDP-105" and you'll find it. He walks thru the navigation menus and iOS app on an iPad. I posted in the Oppo 108 thread and will update that as I learn more about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Marquez

Personally I am furious with Olive:

Fool me once, shame on you!! (Musica,opus)
Fool me twice, shame on me! (04HD)

Owned Musica bought refurbished frm OLIVE. Under warranty, one hard drive. Not in warranty, fried the mother board. They offered me a great dealon the 04HD. Killed one Hard driveand disc reader under warranty, second reader I never repaired, and just fried its motherboard. They will have motherboards available in 3-4 months at a cost of $300.

Good service all the while. They used to answer the phone but now they are OK with E-mails. Not my favorite but if you get them at the right time they will "chat" via E-mail and thats productive.

Now that my 04hd is dead they are offering me a 2TB Olive one for a very big disount so I can't really say they are leaving me out to dry.
Who to shame on the third try??
While the ONE is far from perfect and I swore them of I find myself looking at few alternatives. I mean what I had on my o4hd was I could make playlists and edit on Maestro and use my Phone app anywhere in the house and control it. For all its shortfalls, and there were plenty, I worked. I never even had to go to the machine anymore. I could buy my music on line and shoot it to the machine in my network! I had wonderful playlists, 8oo reggae songs in one, 7oo classic Motown/R&B, 1000 songs on my singer songwriter list......ETC. They are gone but the music is backed up.

SO while "IM DONE" seemed easy, I look around and Im not exactly seeing many companies having popped up over the years and can match. Music Vaultt is $2500 and I have to buy a
DAC! Sony has a machine that MSRP is $999 but what do we know about it? Its "Sony"? Thats fine, also means I have to deal with a super large company and the help I'd get would be basically someone reading the same stuff I could on line. Who is the benchmark product in the this segment and at what price?

I am considering building out a Mac Mini which requires a DAC, some cables but I read this might not be so easy to maintain, and the powersupply is not condusive to audio playback! while using iTunes is not horrible or JRiver, Im more concerned about accesibilty via Powerbook or iPad to edit and using my Iphone to control it. Apple Remote might satisfy this. This is my preferred route but Im very much on my own and not sure I want to spend this kind of time.

So while I have read the not so stellar reviews of the Olive, I do see the potential of this unit having owned Olive's before, and also see the potential of problems.
In fact, maybe its just the price of admission???

Nobody is putting a gun to my head, but In the absence of a "bellweather" product that sets the mark at a price below $1500, or for that matter under $700 what are the choices? Basically I need an iPod with better sound, network access to load music and edit, and iPhone network remote capability.
post #201 of 202 Old Today, 10:20 AM

I looked pretty hard at the Sony HAP Z1ES ($1999.00) and had the same feeling that you do about Sony being such a big company and being tied to them for a long period of time. If they abandon their hi res products and later the unit needs to be serviced, you'd be f_cked.

Also, none of the Sony HAP units have digital outs, so you cannot use an external DAC if you want to... That was a deal breaker for me... Also, according to Sony, "smooth operation guaranteed up to 20,000 tracks."

A Sony rep told me this: The larger the index file to be read ( above on the guaranteed number of tracks ), the longer it will take to load or update the library and it might create distortion while playing your track.

That was also a deal breaker for me, as my collection is over 50,000 tracks.

Tom
Hayward, CA
post #202 of 202 Old Today, 10:23 AM

Quote:

update:

The Oppo supports NTFS, FAT, FAT32 and exFAT, which is not listed in the Oppo manual, but it's on their website as an addition to the firmware. I confirmed by formatting my new Western Digital Passport Ultra 2TB drive on my Mac Mini in exFAT and then using it on the Oppo. Worked great.

Tom
Hayward, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page