Olive One - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #211 of 239 Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjaye View Post
Olive One- just keep walking...

From all the posts above, it's become pretty clear to me that Olive has over promised and under delivered on the Olive One. The hardware seems to be pretty good, but they have failed to deliver a UI that works effectively. Plus all the streaming music apps they promised and never delivered.

JasonCA's review above plus the review below (it's not mine) do a good job of covering what works and what doesn't.
http://principledtechnologies.com/in...-one-review-2/

I was rooting for the OliveOne- but gave up hope last Fall when the IOS app was released and all reports were that it was poor. Not to mention they were over a year late to market.

I was hoping for one box that would be both a music server and a streamer.
That the One has a built in DAC was nice, but I didn't really need another DAC.
That the One had a built in Amp seemed to me a waste of resources since so many people have Amps or AVRs already, and the amp in a $500 Swiss army knife appliance is unlikely to be as good as a $1k integrated or even a $500 AVR from companies with the economies of scale such as Sony, Yamaha, or Denon/Marantz.

I ended up getting a Sonos Connect which I love and can recommend. I have a NAS, but my Sonos implementation is over wifi, and the sound quality doesn't compare to puting a CD in the CD player.

In my search for a music server with an internal HD under $1k, I'm currently exploring 2 other options:

BlueSound Vault- built by the parent company of NAD and PSB - great specs, no built in wifi thoug, and no Pandora (yet)- but they do have Tidal and Spotify I think. If/when they add integrated Pandora, it would be the perfect box for me.
http://www.bluesound.com/en-us/products/vault/

Micro VortexBox from Small Small Green Computer- music server only- but priced nicely and headless which is great. Only thing is that they are a very small outfit, so I'm not sure how their customer support will be long term.
http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/M...ox-vbMicro.htm

I think I will try hardwiring a $150 WD NAS to the Sonos Connect and see if that gets me where I want to be. It will be a good science project for a rainy day...
I also moved from Olive to Sonos, but had a chance to compare an Olive 06HD (analog out) compared to a Sonos Connect, digital-out into an Oppo HA-1 as a DAC/Pre-amp (each playing the same FLAC/redbook digital files) both into the same amp/speakers and could not discern any difference. Did not expect one. Our Sonos connect is hardwired into home ethernet. Do you experience drop-outs? what format is your digital music in? The Oppo displays the data rate it is being fed, and from the Sonos it is 44.1 kHz (i.e std. CD redbook format).

I did read the original review in Principled Technologies (now 6 months old); I agree with it, but the Olive One is a moving target. The question is (for me) can Olive correct the (serious) deficiencies in their software implementation in time? The hardware seems reasonable enough.

Let us know how the WD NAS works out; this could a nice solution.

Last edited by clpetersen; 03-26-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 239 Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I also moved from Olive to Sonos, but had a chance to compare an Olive 06HD (analog out) compared to a Sonos Connect, digital-out into an Oppo HA-1 as a DAC/Pre-amp (each playing the same FLAC/redbook digital files) both into the same amp/speakers and could not discern any difference. Did not expect one. Our Sonos connect is hardwired into home ethernet. Do you experience drop-outs? what format is your digital music in? The Oppo displays the data rate it is being fed, and from the Sonos it is 44.1 kHz (i.e std. CD redbook format).

I did read the original review in Principled Technologies (now 6 months old); I agree with it, but the Olive One is a moving target. The question is (for me) can Olive correct the (serious) deficiencies in their software implementation in time? The hardware seems reasonable enough.

Let us know how the WD NAS works out; this could a nice solution.
I'm really glad I was able to cancel my preorder last year. When they started changing the specs from what it was when i ordered, that was enough to get me to pull the plug. If they can get the bugs worked out I may still jump on one of these. For now I'm happily sticking to my Squeezebox Touch.
Jackparker likes this.
post #213 of 239 Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Currently have a SB Touch, which is great when using a Welborne Labs PSU. Digital coax is better than using EDO.
Am looking for something that would be on par with my setup, but a current product for a friend. Olive One might have been interesting, but based on these reviews I'll pass. Would the Sonos Connect be something that would work well as a digital transport? Are there other options? Would have to have a coax digital output, since it'll be used only as a digital transport. If anyone knows of something with and AES/EBU (digital XLR) output I'd really appreciate it.
Best regards
André

SB Touch>Resolution Audio Cantata>Gryphon Diablo>Evolution Acoustics MicroOne
post #214 of 239 Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
Currently have a SB Touch, which is great when using a Welborne Labs PSU. Digital coax is better than using EDO.
Am looking for something that would be on par with my setup, but a current product for a friend. Olive One might have been interesting, but based on these reviews I'll pass. Would the Sonos Connect be something that would work well as a digital transport? Are there other options? Would have to have a coax digital output, since it'll be used only as a digital transport. If anyone knows of something with and AES/EBU (digital XLR) output I'd really appreciate it.
Best regards
André
It has a digital output.
Your reading just a few reviews mostly from those that don't have ONE.
Ask a person who has one!
Its a good machine. The software is not finished. Im liking it very much thus far.
Good build quality and most of all it sounds great.
post #215 of 239 Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendo View Post
Best regards
André
Olive One was a flop from the beginning and it's still a flop stay away from it. These guys cannot even implement native streaming of Spotify and Pandora... you need to use your smartphone or PC for that! They sending me "we working on it" emails for the last 6 month... Who are they schoolkids programmers? Not to mention other stuff like constant bugs, freezing, years old hardware, etc.

If your friend wants all-in-one inexpensive solution I'd recommend Cocktail Audio X10 or X12. It's maybe not that sexy, but at least it works.
Kolkrabe and JasonCA like this.

--
post #216 of 239 Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
It has a digital output.
Its a good machine. The software is not finished. Im liking it very much thus far.
if the software is not finished it's a no-go for him. he's technically savvy, but constant bugs or problems are an easy way to make this a frustrating experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavrilych View Post
Olive One was a flop from the beginning and it's still a flop stay away from it. These guys cannot even implement native streaming of Spotify and Pandora... you need to use your smartphone or PC for that! They sending me "we working on it" emails for the last 6 month... Who are they schoolkids programmers? Not to mention other stuff like constant bugs, freezing, years old hardware, etc.

If your friend wants all-in-one inexpensive solution I'd recommend Cocktail Audio X10 or X12. It's maybe not that sexy, but at least it works.
I'm actually looking for an alternative to the SBT and, in that sense, only as a digital transport with digital coax or AES/EBU output. I wouldn't need any analogue or speaker outputs.
Any ideas?

SB Touch>Resolution Audio Cantata>Gryphon Diablo>Evolution Acoustics MicroOne
post #217 of 239 Old 04-09-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It has a digital output.
Agree with you Nalod,
My familly an I, we're using it everyday in my livingroom (streaming flac from a NAS) and it is very stable in music playback now.
Last firmware revision is now providing multilanguage OSD (with still some typo/framing/translation mistake, yes) but the player now makes the job I was expecting when I bought it. Audio quality is there and we are listening far more music than before (when Audio CD were on shielves) .
John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !
post #218 of 239 Old 04-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post
Agree with you Nalod,
My familly an I, we're using it everyday in my livingroom (streaming flac from a NAS) and it is very stable in music playback now.
Last firmware revision is now providing multilanguage OSD (with still some typo/framing/translation mistake, yes) but the player now makes the job I was expecting when I bought it. Audio quality is there and we are listening far more music than before (when Audio CD were on shielves) .
John
Should be interesting to see the updates as they bring them.
I was just reading some of the early reviews and can understand the frustration of the early models. My build quality was excellent.

The screen issues I had the first day where it seemed to be kind of freaking out but I followed the calibration, rebooted the machine and I think there was a firmware fix in the volume switch and in combination all seems to have worked itself thru.

Its almost as if it has to learn from us and we from it? LOL!!! It would be great if it was perfect out of the box and perhaps expectations are the basis for a review. I was by underwelmed by the reviews and perhaps expected a disaster. For those with soundboard problems to get a 2TB One for less than a no Gigabit Node is a great deal. For those who have time to wait, we'll be your guinea pigs and let you know how its going for us.
post #219 of 239 Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Olive ONE deserves a bad report

I've had O4HD for 18 months (I love it)
I've had a ONE (for 6 months (I don't like it)
I had to wait ten months to get shipment after they hit my credit card for the full amount. Olive just said they were sorry. A lot of frustrating e-mails. I thought they might have been going belly-up.
My O4HD is reliable, and very fast on the Android app and very nice to use.
The ONE is extremely slow in comparison to O4HD on the phone app.
The ONE main console GUI crashes every day multiple times in most functions, like rebuilding the Music Library to gain access after uploading new albums and like, well - just playing.

The wireless installation was useless even though it was definitely not a range problem. It simply could not support the data flow for all the functions it was running. Support did not even try to trouble shoot the wireless with me, they just told me to wire it. I wired it Ethernet because, as I said, wireless was hopelessly "crashy". Before crawling under the floors and drilling holes in the walls, I had attached the the wireless antenna. I did not realize this was not required except for range extension, which I did not need. Using the screw-on wireless antenna requires one to choose a setting in the menu, before it connects to increase the range, but instructions omitted that point. But connecting the antenna when you don't need it stops the wireless from working. So all that took a lot of time away from the pleasure of the new toy. About a week of not getting any music from it.
The Ethernet plug is almost impossible to unlock with out inserting a screwdriver to release the little plastic spring catch. They left no clearance to the case, to get your finger on to it.
Wiring the unit made it stable to access the O4HD library, but Ethernet did not stop the phone app crashing. I tried three different phones, late models as well as one two years old, in case I was being unfair to the app. But the crashes happened on all the phones I tried. All software versions are the latest upgrades, that are automatically installed, thankfully. But they don't seem to take away the bugs. (Just add more features like network sharing).
The phone app for the ONE hangs all the time, like every-time the phone screen times out and wakes again - the phone app is disconnected and the music keeps playing. So if you want to pause it, you'll find yourself wrestling with your phone to re-start the Olive ONE app, or re-start the phone, to get a the ONE to respond.
Even though I have had the ONE for 6 months I still spend more time working on it than listening to it. What a disappointment.

The Olive ONE sound output is very good and that's all that stops me throwing it into the swimming pool.
Oh, and because I like it in concept.
Unfortunately, I am the optimist who hopes that the next software upgrade will magically turn it into a fully baked item. It's half baked at the moment.

Once you can find ONE Support for the ONE (Zen-desk) on the Olive Media Website (by gosh, they hid it well) the support online people are very good people, only they have no answers to most of the problems.

GUI looks apple-oid but is actually quite un-intuitive when you use it. It came with the stupidest instructions I've ever seen, on a card the size of a card of matches.
At first I thought it was very cool doing that, until I realized they might have well written the instructions on a blank piece of paper. That would have been less frustrating.

So after perhaps a hundred support chats and many software upgrades in the background, I finally I worked out how to make my ONE play music while I relaxed for short periods between crashes. I even learned the search function - to search the network library of my much loved O4HD. Wanting a satellite player for my O4HD was the reason I bought the ONE. But it's not easy for the ONE to search the O4HD network library. So I have endured the huge chore of exporting my whole library o off the 04HD on to my external backup drive (Linux), then onto my PC , then using a utility that I found without the help of support, (they did not know how to do this) and I copied it all into windows 7, so I could rename every folder from the O4HD index code to be able to see what I was putting onto the ONE. It took days and days of time. The ONE search function does work back to the 04HD , but it is very fussy to find any album and it takes a lot of practice to learn it.
But you can't see the album cover art, which is the only nice way to identify your album quickly. You can only read text when searching the network library, even with gigabit Ethernet!! . Not much fun at all.

I would not tell any friend to buy this unless they were already a computer IT person. It is very hard work, to get that good sound.
Kolkrabe and JasonCA like this.
post #220 of 239 Old 04-16-2015, 05:24 AM

New App for the phone seems to be working much better.
Does not crash when the phone goes to sleep. This was an issue for the 04hd phone app.
I loved my O4hd but in 5 years it tried to kill itself 3 times. It final succeeded.

None of these machines are easy. They all have quirks and its like you have to learn it, and they learn you!!
Using one machine to network the files of another is an ambitious calling.

I was able to run a network of analog cable to 5 zones using inline amplifiers. This was in place for my 04hd and works great for my use.

Basically I would not even try what your doing for daily use. I find the process of one machine reading another is not stable regardless of whose it is. I want anyone in my house to turn on a machine and play music from it.

Ethernet plug is a minor inconvenience.

I agree, this machine should not have been released until it was finished. I made a choice knowing this. I suppose you didn't and get your frustration.

I think by June based on their schedule of firmware release this thing should be great.
They are very quick to respond to my e-mail.

Over all the nature of using a music server requires more time and knowledge than I do care myself to involve in. Its a puzzle of sorts and I have labeled it a "hobby".
post #221 of 239 Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 AM

Being one of the supporters since the One's crowd-sourcing days, one thing I learnt is never to trust Olive's schedule. The release dates they posted on their website can only slip.
post #222 of 239 Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 AM

Been traveling and not spent much time on the machine.
First batch of Downloads has gone smooth.
Machine sounds great and its good to have the music back.

Im still working on cleaning up my files on the Mac Mini. I have much duplication but there are Apps that clean redundant tracks.

New Maestro software has a nice look to it but Olive needs to up the schedule so users can make playlists on it and change metadata.

To potential owners, the ONE is like visiting a new restaurant before its "Grand Opening". its why there has not been much press about the machine. its curious that they still sell the older models and really just half ass promote the ONE. I would expect a price increase at some point when its done.

So for the lower price you get a machine thats a work in progress. You'll still get to do 90% of what you need it to do.

If only Apple would buy Olive!!!!! It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be close to it!

Bottom line is plan to spend some time on these machines if you are new to this. Its not just the machine, but the language of music files. Far easier to run iTunes and feed a system thru a nice DAC via USB but these machines serve a great convienence! If they can tie in remote speakers they will have a great product on their hands. I am wired up in my home but so many new SONO's users out there now!
post #223 of 239 Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am struggling to load music on to my Olive one

1. It would not show up as FTP over the network (even though IP is shown on Olive)

2. It copies part of the music (not all files) from USB drive to HDD, and shows even fewer files under the folder structure (even though all files copied are shown under Artist>Album>Track view).

My songs are structured based on folders so this is a big disappointment. Something as simple as files not showing in folder view baffles me. The missing files are no where to be found in folder view...

Not to mention frequent freezes and unpredictable behaviour.

It has turned out to be a very embarassing purchase
JasonCA likes this.
post #224 of 239 Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I am struggling to load music on to my Olive one

1. It would not show up as FTP over the network (even though IP is shown on Olive)

2. It copies part of the music (not all files) from USB drive to HDD, and shows even fewer files under the folder structure (even though all files copied are shown under Artist>Album>Track view).

My songs are structured based on folders so this is a big disappointment. Something as simple as files not showing in folder view baffles me. The missing files are no where to be found in folder view...

Not to mention frequent freezes and unpredictable behaviour.

It has turned out to be a very embarassing purchase
From their instructions........"After the music import has been completed we recommend to run a re-sync (settings > system > music library)."

I take it you did this?
post #225 of 239 Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
From their instructions........"After the music import has been completed we recommend to run a re-sync (settings > system > music library)."

I take it you did this?
Yes multiple times. rebuilding music library does not help. In fact I reformatted the hard disk and still same behaviour.

For now, I am only able to use it as a bluetooth channel. There also once in a day, the unit freezes and goes in loop repeating 3-4 sec music endlessly.

Software is extremely buggy. And the updates are painfully slow.

For me hardware seems to fine, except the pathetic vertical viewing angle of display (while approaching the unit one can see only ghost image till you are on top of the unit). Horizontal viewing angle is acceptable, but unless mounted on wall that is useless. I assume most people will have it on a table, so design should have factored this in.
post #226 of 239 Old 04-22-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Yes multiple times. rebuilding music library does not help. In fact I reformatted the hard disk and still same behaviour.

For now, I am only able to use it as a bluetooth channel. There also once in a day, the unit freezes and goes in loop repeating 3-4 sec music endlessly.

Software is extremely buggy. And the updates are painfully slow.

For me hardware seems to fine, except the pathetic vertical viewing angle of display (while approaching the unit one can see only ghost image till you are on top of the unit). Horizontal viewing angle is acceptable, but unless mounted on wall that is useless. I assume most people will have it on a table, so design should have factored this in.
What hath the folks at Olive one responded when you communicated with them about your problems.

The viewing angle works for me. The old machine I had to still either bend over or on my knees to operate in my console.

IN the 04hd I did all my work via Maestro on the laptop and the Phone APP to operate so perhaps I will tuck it away when I'm done setting it up. Looking at the other machines offered, I don't believe the Bluesound Vault has a screen at all, and the coctail and sony machines have small screens on the side of their units.

I think you'll like it better when it works properly! Please keep us posted on any progress you are making!
post #227 of 239 Old 04-30-2015, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quotation from Geoddd: "But it's not easy for the ONE to search the O4HD network library. So I have endured the huge chore of exporting my whole library o off the 04HD on to my external backup drive (Linux), then onto my PC , then using a utility that I found without the help of support"

That is very funny to hear. I (living in Germany) bought a Raumfeld-Connector2. I use it to stream (WIMP, TIDAL) and to hear my music persisted on my 4HD. It took 30 min. to scan the 4HD (1 TB data) and now I can hear my Olive music with a stable running iphone app.

And with an One it seems to be impossible to do the same via upnp?

Regards,
Kolkrabe
post #228 of 239 Old 04-30-2015, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I think you'll like it better when it works properly!![/QUOTE]

No kidding!

Have the folks at Olive responded to this thread?
post #229 of 239 Old 05-05-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAllen View Post
I think you'll like it better when it works properly!!
No kidding!

Have the folks at Olive responded to this thread?[/QUOTE]

I meant when the software is further advanced!

Olive does not appear to respond to threads. They have their own "ZenDesk" to work thru issues.

I was told the back up for my o4hd needed a conversion to which I was unable to do. I sent the drive to Olive and they did this for me.

I am taking great care in the uploading of my files and thus a smooth conversion.
Should people be having problems? Of course not.

Where are the happy people? Not here complaining! Forums often attract those with problems. When there are enough users it could become effiecient as some could provide solutions. For now if someone has a problem the same guys respond "I did not buy the machine and IM glad"..........Not very productive. The older "Legacy" thread has many problematic older units and some guys that are very much into solving and sharing. I was hoping this thread can also become that.

My advice is for those shopping to understand they bought this machine out before all the software was done. Maybe its because the crowd source funding group wanted their machines after delays? Good reason mind you.

Buyers can get a good deal on the ONE ( I think they put one machine a day out for bid?) but have to understand the machine is a work in progress. In the next 60 days many of the features they say will be released.
post #230 of 239 Old 05-05-2015, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Nalod,

Maybe I am wrong, but reading your posts is a little bit strange and mysterious. You are the only tough and brave guy here making advertisement for Olive.

Why?

Regards,
Juergen
post #231 of 239 Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkrabe View Post
Hi Nalod,

Maybe I am wrong, but reading your posts is a little bit strange and mysterious. You are the only tough and brave guy here making advertisement for Olive.

Why?

Regards,
Juergen
Its strange to slam a unit if you don't own it. I have not ever said this unit is perfect and without its problems.

I just received some Silverline Minuet Supreme plus speakers today that I paired with my Outlaw R2150 and LFM-1 sub in my holding room/Kitchen area and of course my OLIVE ONE as the source. Great detail and sound! I have 5 systems in my house hardwired to receive music from the Olive.

I have a lot of hours invested with Olive over the years. They give me great deals on units after one dies so they keep me as a customer. Im either a patient man or a fool!!

I don't broadcast every problem but try to help if I have experience to share and its relevant I will.

In the end its about the music.

Last edited by Nalod; 05-06-2015 at 06:12 AM.
post #232 of 239 Old 05-06-2015, 10:10 PM

This was my first crowdsourcing buy, I went in with great expectations, waited for a long long time, and finally on delivery wanted to love this product, but each day I keep facing newer and newer issues.
Forget all the promises they made, even the basic music discovery (from internal HDD) and smooth playing of songs does not work properly. My unit crashes on a daily basis (stops responding, stops playing, becomes extremely sluggish, starts looping).

A product where both hardware and software is coming from the same company, there is no justification for such pathetic performance. If they don't fix their software issues quickly, this product line is doomed. And so will the company be.
post #233 of 239 Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
The viewing angle works for me. The old machine I had to still either bend over or on my knees to operate in my console.
I dont know how you say that.
Attached is the image with various angles (as you would see Olive kept on a table)

The Top Left image is right from Top, where as the top right is barely 10deg of axis and you can see the colors start deteriorating significantly. The bottom two pics are at more acute angle.
Bottom left is while standing about 1.5 m away from Olive, it is almost unreadable.
So unless I am standing next to Olive the colors are significantly distorted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olive Display issue.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	704226  
post #234 of 239 Old 05-07-2015, 08:06 PM

I feel you pain regarding the crashing and thats a big problem. I hope you can get that resolved.
Do you have the hard drive installed in the unit or is the music external?
If you do have it internal, how big is the hard drive and how much of it is filled up?

When I lay my laptop screen flat on a table at some angles the view is also distorted. The screen is not an issue for me as long as its very clear in within arms length.

If this is your first music server I can understand your expectations would be high. Fact is this technology is not as stable as the iPod and when reach to involve other machines its even less so.

This is my third server and if it don't blow up, emit a burning smell of death, and lose my music it exceeds my expectations! If it seems like Im a Olive One "apologist" its not so at all, its that I'm a damaged three time Olive customer and like a religious zealot I want to "Believe".

Personally I get why crowd source would disappoint and don't understand what Olive is doing. On their website they are still selling the older technology and do not promote the ONE that much.

Basically we might be beta testers!

Please tell us where you music files are held.
And please let us know when a problem is resolved!
post #235 of 239 Old 05-10-2015, 01:24 AM

Liked: 10
Well I was also one of the crowdsourcing backers & the process was not as smooth as I would have liked. It took way to long to deliver & the process of was confusing, but I think that is the risk of any project that is designed by a committee. To a degree I believe you are dammed if you plough ahead with a device & don't listen to the backers & dammed if you don't & try to keep everyone happy.

Once I received the machine it was clear that the product was unfinished from a software perspective however after several firmware updates & a couple of version updates to the IOS app I think the product is where it should have been when it was shipped. But I must say that now we are at the stage where we are now I am happy with the unit & look forward to the improvements that will come with future software updates.

I rip my music to a NAS (for backup) then copy it to the internal HDD of my device for playback. I have used the device hooked up through both analog & digital connections & I'm very happy with the quality of the playback. I have also used the built in amp to power a set of B&W CDMNT speakers which it did happily. I have also used the device streaming music directly from the NAS which it did but I think it is more responsive playing the music directly from the HDD & this was always my intended mode of use from the start.

Would I recommend one to a friend? Yes with provisions. I don't think it is ready for a complete novice & the instructions provided can be appallingly poor at times but the help provided on the Zen-Desk site has gotten me around most issues so far.

The rest of the world is upside down!
post #236 of 239 Old 05-10-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I dont know how you say that.
Attached is the image with various angles (as you would see Olive kept on a table)

The Top Left image is right from Top, where as the top right is barely 10deg of axis and you can see the colors start deteriorating significantly. The bottom two pics are at more acute angle.
Bottom left is while standing about 1.5 m away from Olive, it is almost unreadable.
So unless I am standing next to Olive the colors are significantly distorted.
Was working on the olive yesterday and was thinking about the screen. Looking at it its not perfect. Coctail Audio's screen is on the machines side, say 90 degrees and its small. Sony's looks a bit different ($1000) but also in its side made for a component rack. Bluesound's "Vault" does not have a screen. While the grass is always "Greener", what is the reference for the money that a screen should look like?

The screen does operate well. I am using my iPhone more and when Maestro is up to speed I hope to almost exclusively use that. On my 04HD I never used the screen on that machine. Maestro and phone app covered 95% of operation. Backups and utility operations was the only reason to be at the machine. In my book, I prefer to move the One to my console and not even look at it, just use Maestro on the laptop and on my phone.

Yesterday the machine prompted a firmware upgrade. Here is the roadmap of expected updates and timeline. https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203631715-Apr-29-2015-Updated-software-feature-roadmap

Its surprising how far behind they are and that they released the machine as they did. This thing was not ready but the crowd funding must have really pressured them (self inflicted) to get a machine out there. A financial incentive is a good reason to purchase now if offered to compensate for the lack of completion on this machine. My unit is playing well with few hiccups.

I have no regrets buying this unit as I was offered a big incentive financially and Olive saved my files. If patient I think one can still enjoy this machine even with its few shortfalls which mostly add up to inconveneince. Perhaps one of Olive's other choices are still relevant and within budgets of those in need a complete unit now?

Like any piece of equipment opinions vary and some posting here have had real problems. We have to account that happy listeners are usually engrossed with their music and don't turn to the internet to boast of their happiness, its to seek guidance or complain. I do wish when there is a problem most would post resolution when solved, or postscript when not.

Last edited by Nalod; 05-11-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #237 of 239 Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Interface design and industrial design (and implementation) has been relatively weak across wide swaths of consumer electronics. Save for a few major design houses, many products have been underwhelming.

When you look at Google buying NEST for billions (for a frekin thermostat), you can see how little "talent" must be out there...

When you look at in-car systems across the globe, you get this general impression as well. It is even worse in medical software and hardware in many cases.

The lag between available technology and implementation is moving to decades now...

I have been waiting forever for ipods to work correctly for any of the advanced features such as smartlists. They still don't have multi-genre tagging and multi-artist sorting support... that isn't even that hard. If a company with Apple's resources can't fix what I consider "the basics" for over a decade now.... I have almost no hope in anyone else solving these issues on USABLE hardware...

Blazar!
post #238 of 239 Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Interface design and industrial design (and implementation) has been relatively weak across wide swaths of consumer electronics. Save for a few major design houses, many products have been underwhelming.

When you look at Google buying NEST for billions (for a frekin thermostat), you can see how little "talent" must be out there...

When you look at in-car systems across the globe, you get this general impression as well. It is even worse in medical software and hardware in many cases.

The lag between available technology and implementation is moving to decades now...

I have been waiting forever for ipods to work correctly for any of the advanced features such as smartlists. They still don't have multi-genre tagging and multi-artist sorting support... that isn't even that hard. If a company with Apple's resources can't fix what I consider "the basics" for over a decade now.... I have almost no hope in anyone else solving these issues on USABLE hardware...
Interesting take. The NAV on my brand new audi has not changed much in 5 years and it sucked then. It works great, but just not intuitive like my Garmin. My Nest really is great and I'm disappointed google grabbed them as it seems to have stalled them. If everything worked as well as the iPhone.

Regarding music servers, I have not read upon whom is the gold standard in this segment. Bluesound Vault seems like a great machine but has no display. My ONE phone app works as good as the display. Maybe it does not need one? My 04hd I mostly used Maestro to work it and the phone APP.

Reality is the market for these machines might be big enough to generate the development of a proper machine. Really, all we want is bigger better larger iPod with a great DAC!

Turntables are back and high Def audio is controversial. go figure!
post #239 of 239 Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

You have a very valid point there blazer. I don't know much about Olive One but I'd like to point out an app that I am using on an iPhone that has been a pleasure to use. It acts as a remote control to my iPod which in turn is linked to my music system. The app is called Tango Remote and I really like its features, interface and functionality. Must admit, the developers have done a great job. You can check it out for yourself:-

http://blueatlastechnology.com/tangoremote/
jdjaye likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports