Olive One - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have not fully committed to the Olive as they have not come up with the promised method where we can make a playlist in iTunes and import to the ONE.

Basically I only have about 100gb music in the machine. Until they have this machine up to spec software wise I won't do a full download.
With every firmware release the machine is getting to where it needs to be.

I am still months behind in my projects and have a lot of work to do on my database so perhaps Olive and me are both tardy. To remind all why I am so "forgiving" is this is my third Olive Machine in 8 years and the company keeps me because they sell me replacement machines at near cost to keep me. I am also naive to think other machines would be perfect either and they are not.

I do wonder what their marketing approach is. Who is bank rolling them? What is their future? Crowd source is a bad idea if you can't make deadlines. It really frustrates people and if the machine is really not finished, it was a bad launch!

The "ZenDesk" think they have is quite good and their service is really remarkable. They are working over weekends on the website. We did a room renovation and I had to take everything out and rewire my entertainment HUB. IN the process I broke the plastic sleeve that holds the plug steady in the little analog out receptacle and one channel would not work.

This was on a Saturday nite. I got on the website and put in a service request. On sunday they asked for more information, and let me know it was not a warranty covered event (which I totally get) but it would only cost $130 and that included shipping. There was a service fee only to repair. In short, I had the box ready to go on Tuesday and it was picked up on 5pm in my office. It arrived in Taiwan on Friday. By Monday it was repaired and shipped back in my hands by wednesday! Thats 8 days total.

With the rewire I got a new preamp and installed a new plate amp for the subwoofer and have to say everythings sounds amazing. I have integrated a Mac Mini and Harmony Ultimate Remote

If you have read my previous posts you'll understand my strange relationship with Olive and why I am so forgiving if this machine. Sure I get frustrated but since I did not pay full retail for the machine Im not entitled 100% either. My hope is this machine gets it final software firmwares done and can relaunch itself with it remote speakers and other things. For me I need it to feed my zones with Analog goodness. This is where the machine is succeeding! Its playing the music and it sounds great.

IM rooting for Olive to succeed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have not fully committed to the Olive as they have not come up with the promised method where we can make a playlist in iTunes and import to the ONE.

Basically I only have about 100gb music in the machine. Until they have this machine up to spec software wise I won't do a full download.
With every firmware release the machine is getting to where it needs to be.

I am still months behind in my projects and have a lot of work to do on my database so perhaps Olive and me are both tardy. To remind all why I am so "forgiving" is this is my third Olive Machine in 8 years and the company keeps me because they sell me replacement machines at near cost to keep me. I am also naive to think other machines would be perfect either and they are not.

I do wonder what their marketing approach is. Who is bank rolling them? What is their future? Crowd source is a bad idea if you can't make deadlines. It really frustrates people and if the machine is really not finished, it was a bad launch!

The "ZenDesk" think they have is quite good and their service is really remarkable. They are working over weekends on the website. We did a room renovation and I had to take everything out and rewire my entertainment HUB. IN the process I broke the plastic sleeve that holds the plug steady in the little analog out receptacle and one channel would not work.

This was on a Saturday nite. I got on the website and put in a service request. On sunday they asked for more information, and let me know it was not a warranty covered event (which I totally get) but it would only cost $130 and that included shipping. There was a service fee only to repair. In short, I had the box ready to go on Tuesday and it was picked up on 5pm in my office. It arrived in Taiwan on Friday. By Monday it was repaired and shipped back in my hands by wednesday! Thats 8 days total.

With the rewire I got a new preamp and installed a new plate amp for the subwoofer and have to say everythings sounds amazing. I have integrated a Mac Mini and Harmony Ultimate Remote

If you have read my previous posts you'll understand my strange relationship with Olive and why I am so forgiving if this machine. Sure I get frustrated but since I did not pay full retail for the machine Im not entitled 100% either. My hope is this machine gets it final software firmwares done and can relaunch itself with it remote speakers and other things. For me I need it to feed my zones with Analog goodness. This is where the machine is succeeding! Its playing the music and it sounds great.

IM rooting for Olive to succeed!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Underlord View Post
replaced it with a Raspberry Pi, HifiBerry DAC, and RuneAudio. There's no touch screen, ...
Wait, isn't controlling it from an Android phone equivalent to having a touch screen?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackavsforum View Post
Wait, isn't controlling it from an Android phone equivalent to having a touch screen?
Not if you were looking for a machine with a fixed, built-in screen, which I was, or I might have bought Sonos instead of Olive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here