Suggestions for stereo system playback of ripped CDs -- streaming ability not necessary - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello --

I hope someone can help me!

I'm looking to rip my collection of 2000+ classical CDs, and I'd like to have a component that would allow playback via my stereo receiver. I don't want to use a computer-based system; it needs to be a stereo component. It should be easy to navigate through a large collection of music, and since the bulk of my collection is classical, it would be nice if the tracks could be sorted by composer.

The closest to what I'm looking for would be, I believe, something like the NAD M50 and NAD M52, but I don't have that sort of $$$. Preferably, I'd like a solution that costs up to $1000, maybe $1500 at the most.

Does anyone have much experience with the Brennan JB7? I've read a lot of mixed reviews online.

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Do you require gapless playback? A somewhat ¨clunky¨ option would be a blu-ray disc player like the Oppo-103. Just plug in your USB drive and Voilá. I describe it as clunky simply because of the interface and you have to dig a bit if you don´t organize the hard disk from the get-go. Another option would be the Marantz NA7004 ($400 demo from audio advisor) even though you don´t require the streaming options. The Marantz does not do gapless playback however. I think a NAS is probably the best way to go although I´m not familiar with the JB7. Would you be opposed to building your own NAS? That could potentially save you a lot of money.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Denon DNP-720AE might be what your looking for. I am currently trying one out in my home system I have all my CD's (300 +) ripped to FLAC on a 3TB NAS drive. The Denon connects to your home wifi and then will play back all the music on your NAS drive. The beauty of the Denon is that it is now able to playback 24 bit / 192 files. I have a few albums in 24/96 and 24/192 on a USB stick and they sound great on the Denon. I downloaded the Denon app from itunes and can control all the Denon's functions on my ipod. It will let you see your collection via artist, genre, composer and so on with jacket cover art. The Denon can connect to your audio receiver/processor via analog or digital co ax.

Cheers from the Great White North.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

The Denon DNP-720AE might be what your looking for. I am currently trying one out in my home system I have all my CD's (300 +) ripped to FLAC on a 3TB NAS drive. The Denon connects to your home wifi and then will play back all the music on your NAS drive. The beauty of the Denon is that it is now able to playback 24 bit / 192 files. I have a few albums in 24/96 and 24/192 on a USB stick and they sound great on the Denon. I downloaded the Denon app from itunes and can control all the Denon's functions on my ipod. It will let you see your collection via artist, genre, composer and so on with jacket cover art. The Denon can connect to your audio receiver/processor via analog or digital co ax.

Is the playback gapless? Just curious.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 648
I use a couple of Logitech Squeezeboxes but I'm pretty sure they are no longer available. I have also been able to read and play my digital music files with my WiFi enabled Blu Ray Player. I use the Plex Media Server software for that application. Either of these solutions work without a separate component and without getting anywhere near a computer keyboard. I can use them with nothing but my remote control. Basically, all you need is a DLNA compatible blu ray player.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I use a denon AVR with airplay. I tunes will connect to my denon and play my music collection. I rip in apple lossless. For high rez stuff downloaded from hdtracks, I use usb devices in my oppo bdp player.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page