Does it make any sense to replace my CD player with an Oppo 105 for music only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to upgrade my cd payer, an EAD CD 1000 to a player that will play SACD and other digital sources. I am currently stuck with redbook but would like to be able to listen to high res downloads as well. I could use my cd as a transport and get a separate Dac...but I am not sure that will give me SACD play back. Is that accomplished at the Dac level or the transport or both? Thinking an Oppo 105 might be the ticket but video is not important to me at present.

Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post

I would like to upgrade my cd payer, an EAD CD 1000 to a player that will play SACD and other digital sources. I am currently stuck with redbook but would like to be able to listen to high res downloads as well. I could use my cd as a transport and get a separate Dac...but I am not sure that will give me SACD play back. Is that accomplished at the Dac level or the transport or both? Thinking an Oppo 105 might be the ticket but video is not important to me at present.

SACDs require special transports because of the Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme that they use.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post

Thanks
Kevin

The oppo can do it all. I have a 95. It's primary use is music. It will decode SACD, DVD-A, HDCD. Plug in a usb hard drive and play FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and other hi rez formats that can be downloaded. And for 105 owners, they can now play back DSD format, which some are starting to offer as downloads as well. You will not find a more versatile player around.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page